When will UPS say you make too much an hour and change the hourly rate format or rate?

browniehound

[

Its even worse when I was at her house at 935am delivering a NDA and back at 845pm with her ground. Inevitably I get the "why didn't you just leave both the first time" or what really kills me:"sorry you had to make 2 trips, I didn't need the first one that early" Wonderful!

Why not deliver both stops together?[/quote]

Why didn't I think of that? I've delivering packages for 15 years and the thought has never crossed my mind, lol. Do I really need to give the reasons why I didn't deliver both stops at once?

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Years ago there was a Class action lawsuit in the west regarding this very issue. UPS ended up paying back thousands of dollars in back pay. Cant tell you the year but I would think with some research one could find out the details. I would think a call to to a labor lawyer would answer some of the questions. I do know for a fact that in the west the only way a company can take money out ones paycheck is a volantary garnisment or a court order. Personally I dont care when someone wants to take their lunch, thats none of my business. I do think its wrong not to get paid for hours worked.

I remember this because I got a sweet $2300 check for nothing. But the reason for the class action suit was because UPS wasn't giving us part timers a 30 minute meal even if we worked more than 6 hours. They would take one measly 15 minute break after three and a half hours and then work us straight till we finished, even if it was 6 hours after break. They would sometimes take another break, but never a meal period. That's what got them in trouble.

Me personally I like being able to choose when to take meal. Sometimes I get hungry around 1pm and take it. Other times I just feel like busting out all the deliveries and taking it after I'm done with both pickups and deliveries at around 6pm. I know it's supposed to be between the 4th and 5th hour but I'm glad they don't really enforce it.

PT Car Washer

I remember this because I got a sweet $2300 check for nothing. But the reason for the class action suit was because UPS wasn't giving us part timers a 30 minute meal even if we worked more than 6 hours. They would take one measly 15 minute break after three and a half hours and then work us straight till we finished, even if it was 6 hours after break. They would sometimes take another break, but never a meal period. That's what got them in trouble.

Me personally I like being able to choose when to take meal. Sometimes I get hungry around 1pm and take it. Other times I just feel like busting out all the deliveries and taking it after I'm done with both pickups and deliveries at around 6pm. I know it's supposed to be between the 4th and 5th hour but I'm glad they don't really enforce it.
A lot of Hub sorts this time of year go 6,7, or 9 hours long with just one 10 minute break. Complain and managements answer is "you don't have to work here". Talk to the Union and they will tell you they are not breaking any contractual agreements.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
A lot of Hub sorts this time of year go 6,7, or 9 hours long with just one 10 minute break. Complain and managements answer is "you don't have to work here". Talk to the Union and they will tell you they are not breaking any contractual agreements.
Well maybe some workers need to file some class action lawsuit against UPS in those states. In CA that was the exact reason for the lawsuit. Working that long without a meal period was against California state law. Even as a PT worker in my early 30's I didn't know that was state law, which is why I never complained. Honestly that should be a federal law. No one should have to work 9 hours without getting a lunch, that's just ridiculous.

PT Car Washer

Well maybe some workers need to file some class action lawsuit against UPS in those states. In CA that was the exact reason for the lawsuit. Working that long without a meal period was against California state law. Even as a PT worker in my early 30's I didn't know that was state law, which is why I never complained. Honestly that should be a federal law. No one should have to work 9 hours without getting a lunch, that's just ridiculous.
Class action law suit? You are lucky to have a job paying $3/hr over minimum wage. That would be a Union matter. No one is forcing you to work here. I know I would rather get paid $50/hr OT and get done then sit somewhere and eat a sandwich and drink a Coke for an half hour. I know I am wrong thinking this way.

brown bomber

brown bomber
Aren't you supposed to take your lunch between the 3rd and 6th hour of the shift if you're a fulltime (package car) driver,...Have the rules changed ??. It's been over 7 yrs., that I've set foot on a UPS facility

jaker

trolling
Class action law suit? You are lucky to have a job paying $3/hr over minimum wage. That would be a Union matter. No one is forcing you to work here. I know I would rather get paid $50/hr OT and get done then sit somewhere and eat a sandwich and drink a Coke for an half hour. I know I am wrong thinking this way.
Not all PT make more then minimum wage , here in cali you start at minimum wage granted after a year you get a raise

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Well that's you. Not everyone likes to work for 9 hours with only 10 minutes to wolf down a sandwich. 100 part timers and just 2 microwaves so you have this mad dash for the microwave at break, otherwise you don't eat. That's hog:censored2:.
The 'no one is forcing you to work here' retort from management is also hog:censored2:. I don't care how well a job pays, there needs to be a standard that every job has to follow in regards to meal periods. It's plainly not fair to be expected to work that long without adequate rest periods. I'm glad in California it's flat out illegal for them to expect that, and I'm glad they had to pay up as a penalty.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Aren't you supposed to take your lunch between the 3rd and 6th hour of the shift if you're a fulltime (package car) driver,...Have the rules changed ??. It's been over 7 yrs., that I've set foot on a UPS facility

That's what the contract says; however, the only requirement is that we take at least a 30 minute break before the 8th hour.

H2O110

Well that's you. Not everyone likes to work for 9 hours with only 10 minutes to wolf down a sandwich. 100 part timers and just 2 microwaves so you have this mad dash for the microwave at break, otherwise you don't eat. That's hog:censored2:.
The 'no one is forcing you to work here' retort from management is also hog:censored2:. I don't care how well a job pays, there needs to be a standard that every job has to follow in regards to meal periods. It's plainly not fair to be expected to work that long without adequate rest periods. I'm glad in California it's flat out illegal for them to expect that, and I'm glad they had to pay up as a penalty.
You bring back bad memories. That dash to the microwave was real... I would use the go to the bathroom well say i was going to try to be at least 1st...

babboo25

Banned
If your start time is 9 and you get in at 6 and you don't take a lunch, they will take your lunch out automatically so you will only get paid for 8 hours. If your start time is 9 and you get in at 6 and take that lunch to 7, you get paid for 9 hours. You guys get the math now? Its different in certain parts of the country the lunch rules.
If they're taking an hour out for lunch everyday than your local is an absolute embarrassment.

DOK

Some parts of the country have no break for the part time shifts. Shifts working 9 hours straight with no breaks whatsoever.

DOK

There's only about a dozen states that have break/lunch laws. All other areas of the country these part time shifts are working 9-10 hours without a break, which is ridiculous and has to be addressed in the next contract. Yes it's only for a month but you can't shut the operation down for 15 min so everyone gets a break, really? Safety??