When you expire, family benefits are gone after Cobra

After you die suddenly, family health benefits are gone when Cobra(expensive)runs out. What I like to see in the new contract is if an employee expires suddenly and has enough points to retire, the family would still be covered(similar to a pensioner)until federal benefits kick in.

rod

Retired 22 years
After you die suddenly, family health benefits are gone when Cobra(expensive)runs out. What I like to see in the new contract is if an employee expires suddenly and has enough points to retire, the family would still be covered(similar to a pensioner)until federal benefits kick in.

I doubt that would ever happen. Once you retire (or die) you become a liability to the Union - not an asset like when you were working and paying dues. The sooner they can get you and your family off the "payout" list the better. Thats just one of the cruel facts of life. I kind of remember way back when I was checking into retiring that there was a plan where your spouse could continue being paid your pension for a few years if you died within like 5 years of retiring but you had to accept a smaller pension at retirement (which no one wants to do).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I kind of remember way back when I was checking into retiring that there was a plan where your spouse could continue being paid your pension for a few years if you died within like 5 years of retiring but you had to accept a smaller pension at retirement (which no one wants to do).

UPS Retirement has that same option which I will be taking- 100% Survivor option.
If I die first, it pays my wife the same retirement benefit until she dies.
It is about $1000 less per month.

I figure I will die first since I will be eating a lot more of her cooking.
I can't figure out why she has been stocking up on Antifreeze since I explained all this to her.

menotyou

bella amicizia
UPS Retirement has that same option which I will be taking- 100% Survivor option.
If I die first, it pays my wife the same retirement benefit until she dies.
It is about $1000 less per month.

I figure I will die first since I will be eating a lot more of her cooking.
I can't figure out why she has been stocking up on Antifreeze since I explained all this to her.
Probably she knows it traceable. I watch too many Matlocks, Columbo's Murder She Wrote's. Blowfish poison. Tell her to stock up on that. :winks:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If the potential perpetrator ingests small doses of botulism, an immunity is established. Then, said perpetrator just serves a big meal of bad canned beans.

Bingo!

barnyard

KTM rider
Rather than request that the union plan and prepare for your eventual death, it would be mucho better to plan for it yourself. Life insurance is available through lots of sources. Consult an agent and buy accordingly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Rather than request that the union plan and prepare for your eventual death, it would be mucho better to plan for it yourself. Life insurance is available through lots of sources. Consult an agent and buy accordingly.

Excellent advice. I have a $500K term policy which runs out when I turn 61 and for which I pay $48.56/month.

rod

Retired 22 years

Thats what we did. I took out a life insurance policy that cost waaaaaaaaaaaay less than taking a 1000 buck a month hit on the pension check. Besides that everything I own is paid for so the wifey-poo can live rather well until she finds my replacement. I've always said that my wifes next husband is going to be one rich dude.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Expire ?????

I keep looking for a date, it's so hard to read the bottom of my feet!

Looking for dates of expiration in the grocery stores is much easier.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thats what we did. I took out a life insurance policy that cost waaaaaaaaaaaay less than taking a 1000 buck a month hit on the pension check. Besides that everything I own is paid for so the wifey-poo can live rather well until she finds my replacement. I've always said that my wifes next husband is going to be one rich dude.

I looked into that and it didn't work for me.
I will look around some more though ... thanks for the reminder.