When you live on top of a mountain.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
1. If the gate is locked, are you seriously going to climb over it with the customers package in hand?

2. Are you seriously going to hike off a one mile driveway? In the dark? During peak? In the snow? Dragging a hand cart with an irreg on it behind you?

3. If it is a signature required package, are you seriously going to jeapordize your job by signing for it yourself?

4. Are you seriously suggesting that a customer with a one mile long driveway that is either impassable or gated and locked off has the right to expect us to walk all the way up to their house?

I am more than willing to "go the extra mile" in order to provide good service, but not when it involves hiking that mile in the dark.

Yeah, but he is UpstateNYUPSer.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My bad, I got NA1 mixed up with NI1. It doesnt change the fact that a delivery attempt was in fact made and it is the impassability of the customers driveway that is the underlying issue. Our driver went above and beyond by trying to text them with his cellphone. NA1 vs. NI1 is not an honesty issue, at worst it is a data entry error/failure to correctly record the stop which is a big difference. The atttempt was made and there was no intention on the part of our driver to falsify records or defraud the company.
Per DIAD training, we are to use NA1 whether we make contact with the customer or not.

WorknLateHuh

i believe the correct action would be to hike it and code off as m21 (mountain hike). After you get to the top and realize you forgot the 2nd piece in the truck you may want to call your on-road to tell em it's gonna be a late night.

OptimusPrime

Back the pkg car up to the fence, bag the package, place it over the top of the fence and then walk it down until it is on the ground.

The most that I would walk for a delivery would be 1 mile each way and you can be damn sure that I would leave the package, signature required or not, if no one was home and I walked that far to make the attempt.

When covering routes, if there is no gate code, it's sheeted NI1 with the comment being "gated". More than likely your way would be perfectly fine, and I know of some stops like that. But if I haven't gotten the green light from a center manager/OCS/route driver, then no dice. You want to play Lord of The Manor, in your palatial estate behind some gate? Fine, just make sure you have your delivery arrangements ironed out.

UPSGUY72

I don't call customers period UPS doesn't supply me with a phone. Also once you call they have your number they will be calling you all the time to get there packages.

The OP dropped the ball on this delivery. If your not going to attempt to drive up the driveway because it's unsafe it's Not Ni1 its EC. You can send a message back to the center that the driveway isn't safe to drive up. Sheeting the package as Ni1 isn't going solve the problem it just going happen again tomorrow.

IF the driveway isn't safe to drive up what happen to the customer packages on any other day ???

The OP should have also letter a notice if possible at the end of the driveway like on the side of the mailbox. Stating a adult sig is required and package would be at the center.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I failed to read where the driver's legs were broken thus preventing him from walking up the driveway to make a valid delivery attempt.
If it is a gated area, there is no way, I go past it to make an attempt. It is gated for a reason. Dogs or privacy, neither one which I intrude upon. Im a ups guy, not the fbi.

DS

Fenderbender
If I walked a mile with a 40 lb case of wine I'd be dead.
A leisurely walker takes about 115-120 steps per minute and will cover a mile in approximately 17-18 minutes. A brisk pace demands 135 steps per minute, for a 15 minute mile.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We are supposed to let the truck do the work.
No No No, we used to let the truck do the work.
Now we cant back, drive, or pretty much do anything else, we do the work. I remember those words now, "you don't back enough", now its you can only back 10 times per day.

U

uber

Back the pkg car up to the fence, bag the package, place it over the top of the fence and then walk it down until it is on the ground.

The most that I would walk for a delivery would be 1 mile each way and you can be damn sure that I would leave the package, signature required or not, if no one was home and I walked that far to make the attempt.

You better enter it as break time in the diad while you're walking that 2 miles.

U

uber

View attachment 9346

Here is a shot of the mountain. At the corner of the slide-out on the RV you can make out a patch of green roof. This house in question is above that on the mountain. At the far edge of the picture you can see the road up the mountain. The grades are steep. The road is one lane with no pull outs or places to turn around.
A few years ago while making my first attempt at finding the address I encountered the FEDEX driver backing down the mountain road. He had spun out in the shale rock of the customer's steep driveway. Consequently, we both ended up backing down the narrow road nearly a mile. UPS and neither FEDEX driver deliver to this address.

You must be in the midwest to consider that a "mountain".

Big Babooba

If you can do that with an oversized Pottery Barn box or a 150 pounder, why don't you just fly it up to the house Superman?

I'll bake you a cake when the customer denies ever receiving or signing for the handgun that went missing. Will I have to send it to Dannemora or Malone? Also, do you prefer A file or hacksaw blade in your cake?

Big Babooba

you should be fired for not following the eight keys to lowering and lifting. number 8 use existing equipment.

I always use existing equipment when lowering packages. It's called gravity. I just release my firm grip and gravity does the rest. Saves a ton of wear and tear on my body!

oldngray

nowhere special
I always use existing equipment when lowering packages. It's called gravity. I just release my firm grip and gravity does the rest. Saves a ton of wear and tear on my body!

Only bend over far enough so the package won't fall more than 30". And bend at the knees.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I don't call customers period UPS doesn't supply me with a phone. Also once you call they have your number they will be calling you all the time to get there packages.

The OP dropped the ball on this delivery. If your not going to attempt to drive up the driveway because it's unsafe it's Not Ni1 its EC. You can send a message back to the center that the driveway isn't safe to drive up. Sheeting the package as Ni1 isn't going solve the problem it just going happen again tomorrow.

IF the driveway isn't safe to drive up what happen to the customer packages on any other day ???

The OP should have also letter a notice if possible at the end of the driveway like on the side of the mailbox. Stating a adult sig is required and package would be at the center.

It would be interesting to see how all you arm chair delivery guys would have handled this situation at the time. Hindsight has always been 20/20. The reason for NA1 is because it was a Alcohol shipment which requires an Adult signature. Sheeted as EC would suggest that there was no attempt made to contact consignee whereas there was an attempt made by text with no response from the customer until too late. Also.....there is no location to leave a delivery notice. There are no mailboxes, etc at the base of the hill.

If I walked a mile with a 40 lb case of wine I'd be dead.
A leisurely walker takes about 115-120 steps per minute and will cover a mile in approximately 17-18 minutes. A brisk pace demands 135 steps per minute, for a 15 minute mile.

There is a difference between a walk and a hike.

You must be in the midwest to consider that a "mountain".

Again....as I stated before, looks can be deceiving. It is very much a "mountain" located in the heart of the Rockies.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have a similar situation on my route; 1+ mile driveway, steep, rutted, almost impossible for me to get up there. The difference is that, unlike Gman's customer, my customer is reasonable. He built a large wooden box with a hinged door and a flag on it that sits at the bottom of the driveway and when he gets packages I just put them in there, shut the door, and hang the flag so he knows he got something. If it is signature required, I just leave a delivery notice on the box and send the package to will call so that he can drive to the center and pick it up himself. A while back he got some NDA meds and since (A)his phone # was on the package and (B) he is a reasonable customer, I went ahead and called him so that he could drive down to the bottom of the road and meet me. I also took the time to explain to him that calling was not something we were normally set up to do and that a relief driver might not even have a cell phone etc. so that he did not develop a sense of entitlement or expectation that we would call him for future deliveries. He understood and was quite grateful to get his meds and ever since then when his hens are laying he occasionally leaves a dozen fresh eggs in the box for me (or FedEx, whoever gets there first) to take home when I drop off a package.