When you live on top of a mountain.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Leave the info notice on the gate. Your giving conflicting info.

First the road was too bad to go up. That would be EC. Then you said there's a gate. Which one is it.

I'm sure it's something you've done before but I don't see how texting a customer is an acceptable form of contact.

First the road was too bad to go up. That would be EC. Then you said there's a gate. Which one is it.

I'm sure it's something you've done before but I don't see how texting a customer is an acceptable form of contact.
Bring the package back. Give it to the clerk. Let UPS call the customer!!If your sup has a problem with that, let him go out to the stop and let him see for his self!!

gman042

Been around the block a few times

Sorry.....you are confusing mine with a post someone else made. I have been there.....there is no gate.

OH....and texting is an acceptable form of contacting a customer. Many prefer it as everything is now done electronically(i.e. email notification and such).

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If there's no gate and u won't drive up the road that's an EC.

Not correct.

My customer with the bad driveway also has a gate, but it is normally open and the gate is not the reason that I dont go up there.

It actually is "possible" for me to make it up there if I have enough weight in the back of the car and if my tires are relatively new, but I wind up tearing big deep ruts into the gravel. Plus, the driveway is too narrow for oncoming vehicles to pass one another so if I was unlucky enough to be on way the up at the same time he was coming down or vice versa we would have a serious problem on our hands. So by mutual agreement, the delivery point for that stop is at the gate and if the customer did not want signature required packages to be sent to will call then me going as far as the gate would be recorded as a NI1 delivery attempt, not "Emergency Conditions". Narrow driveways are not emergencies.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
OH....and texting is an acceptable form of contacting a customer. Many prefer it as everything is now done electronically(i.e. email notification and such).

I agree, as long as it is done on an exception-only basis and as long as you have made it clear to the customer that they can not expect us to be paging or calling them every time they get a delivery. Not all drivers have cell phones; we are not allowed any time to be using our cell phones; the company does not supply us with cell phones; and we cannot be expected to memorize the phone number of every customer on the route. Whatever special routine might be required for a given stop can not rely upon the use of a cell phone.

didyousheetit

I have a similar situation on my route; 1+ mile driveway, steep, rutted, almost impossible for me to get up there. The difference is that, unlike Gman's customer, my customer is reasonable. He built a large wooden box with a hinged door and a flag on it that sits at the bottom of the driveway and when he gets packages I just put them in there, shut the door, and hang the flag so he knows he got something. If it is signature required, I just leave a delivery notice on the box and send the package to will call so that he can drive to the center and pick it up himself. A while back he got some NDA meds and since (A)his phone # was on the package and (B) he is a reasonable customer, I went ahead and called him so that he could drive down to the bottom of the road and meet me. I also took the time to explain to him that calling was not something we were normally set up to do and that a relief driver might not even have a cell phone etc. so that he did not develop a sense of entitlement or expectation that we would call him for future deliveries. He understood and was quite grateful to get his meds and ever since then when his hens are laying he occasionally leaves a dozen fresh eggs in the box for me (or FedEx, whoever gets there first) to take home when I drop off a package.
Isn't it amazing how a little conversation and explaining of things to customers will go a long way to a beneficial relationship to all parties. So many of the young drivers just butt heads with customers, a little honey goes so far!

didyousheetit

Sorry.....you are confusing mine with a post someone else made. I have been there.....there is no gate.

Have to take exception with that statement. I have several retirement homes on route, with all that arthritis not a lot of texting going on.

gman042

Been around the block a few times

OH....and texting is an acceptable form of contacting a customer. Many prefer it as everything is now done electronically(i.e. email notification and such).[/QUOT

Let me clarify.....on a certain route there is a certain drop location that accepts packages for customers that are out in the boonies. It is a time saver that the regular driver uses religiously. Many of these customers requested that they are sent a text when a package is left at this location to notify them. I used a blanket statement when I should of used a hanky.

HomeDelivery

i had one similar, but it wasn't sig required...

Lockedgate_zps7f011b1a.jpg

and by the intercom/ buzzer, there was a built-in area for parcels:

Releasepoint_zpsede311cb.jpg

so if a sig is required & they're not home an info-notice would have been slapped on to the intercom or on the side of their mailbox on the road...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It looks like the place that the consignee designated for deliveries is on the street side of the gate. Can the packages be easily seen from the road? If so that would be an unsafe delivery point.

browned_out

I had a delivery yesterday to a house on top of a large mountain, paved road to start but turns into dirt. Not as bad as the OP, however pkg was from Apple so when scanned no dr/sdn ok. Customer left note on gate to call and he would come and sign for pkg, so I called, customer answers and says he is in town and could be there in about 15 min could I wait. It was a nice day so I said ok, took my break and went through my load until he arrived, he was very pleased that I waited and asked if I would like two bottles of his wine that he produces on his property. I accepted and thanked him and went on my way.

I use my phone if needed, if it helps make a delivery or allows me to meet a customer then why not. I don't give it out to everyone, but some routes benefit from using it. Just my two cents.

FilingBluesFL

he was very pleased that I waited and asked if I would like two bottles of his wine that he produces on his property. I accepted and thanked him and went on my way.

Had a similar wine delivery, only customer was next door at the community club house, went and got her, per her note on the door, had her sign, and "Oh, here, have a bottle for yourself!"

"Don't mind if I do!" Here and there she'll slip me a bottle. Real nice older gal! It pays to be nice sometimes!