Where do old UPS trucks go when they die?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
By us they paint them gray then they are sent to the elephant grave yard.(I'm not kidding,this is what they call it)

Sammie

They don't go to heaven, and they don't go to hell because they don't deserve that either. They simply die. There is no afterlife for them.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
I'm sure they get stripped for parts first before being sent to the crusher. I can't see UPS not recycling their vehicles. They're too damned cheap!

wornoutupser

I got a good laugh about stripping the parts!

My building finally got to crush a nasty P-5. I was driving another P-5 that needed a part that was " no longer available".
We had to wait until the night that it was towed off to strip the needed part off of it to put on my truck! Our mechanic was told not to strip anything off of it.

atatbl

I'm sure they get stripped for parts first before being sent to the crusher. I can't see UPS not recycling their vehicles. They're too damned cheap!

You make a good point. Ironically, that is why they DO NOT strip them of parts.

I am sure exceptions occur when a center manager knows exactly what he/she needs to get a current vehicle in his/her fleet running again.

J

JediSpork

They use some of them as crew vans. They tear out the shelves and put bus seats in them.
We use them on our air ramp.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
ACtually most get "disassembled". Cut up into chunks, with photos taken at each step of the way. They got rid of several junkers a few years back that way. I think 25 or so.

Some are dontated to charities like Volunteer fire departments, etc. But most are just a piece of crap.

That being said, there are better trucks scrapped than many of the ones they decide to keep around another 5 or more years.

I do have several customers that have the tops to several 250's out behind their house. Painted them light gray before they were allowed to sell them off.

d

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
There is a scrapyard on my route that gets white trucks from all over the state. The owner crunches them with a trackhoe, pictures are taken to prove the destruction and then he cuts them up for scrap.

He's told me to come around anytime I want to crunch a couple.

outamyway

We have about 5 or 6 trucks sitting across from our mechanics bay that are all gutted. Most of them P500 's(AKA our air cars) At least 4 others that are about to suffer the same fate. Quite a few others are sitting out there also waiting to be fixed. There are also two new P1000's with Cali plates that have been sitting out there for a month now.

Hmmm, it's no wonder we don't have enough trucks to run EAM's efficiently.

My dream of the demise of some of the 800's I've driven? Push them all into a giant hole filled with a couple hundred THOUSAND pounds of TNT, and well you know what would happen next....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My dream of the demise of some of the 800's I've driven? Push them all into a giant hole filled with a couple hundred THOUSAND pounds of TNT, and well you know what would happen next....

I think that we should be able to have a big after work cookout with beer like the old days. Then we could take turns shooting holes in them with high-powered rifles. Sell tickets, it could be a fund raiser!