Where has this place been all my life

Rack em

Made the Podium
I've been with UPS for over 5 years now and I just now found out about this forum. I feel like I've been missing out.

I preloaded for about 4 ½ years before I finally became a driver which I qualified back in July. But before I was a full time driver I was a utility driver for about 2 ½ years. Did alot of shuttle work but also covered a lot of routes.

I chose my username because of my brief past with UPS so far. About 2 years ago as a rookie utility driver I was covering a route and was sloppy with my "methods". I was driving an automatic package car and even with it in Park, it ended up rolling on me. Worst part is, I was in the back of the car looking for a package as I rolled about 20 feet and knocked over a stop sign. Got a warning letter, no big deal.

Then last peak I was still a utility driver and they pulled me off of preload and gave me my own route for peak. It was some in town stuff and some extended work. It was the day before X-mas eve and I was out of town on a road that was went dry to icy to dry to icy. I was in a hurry since it was peak and I came into a corner where it went from dry to icy and I tried to slow down but I just slid. The road I was on is over 20 miles long and it HAD only ONE traffic sign on the whole road. I ended up sliding into this sign which was a yield sign and the yield sign actually came through my windshield.

I was freaking out because I couldnt believe I screwed up AGAIN. Management came out and took their photos and told me to finish my stops. Keep in mind the yield sign came through my windshield. So I am driving back on the highway in winter with high winds and all the sudden the passanger side windshield blew into the cab and scared the :censored2: outta me. So now I have a shattered windshield inside the cab with me to add to the stress. Called the center and they told me to keep going lol. So I finished up as fast as possible to avoid the shame from ym fellow co workers and headed straight to the office. The center manager was super cool about it almost like he didnt care even though I know he did. He made sure I was ok and asked if I wanted to take Xmas eve off which I did. Only got a warning letter again. I am soooooooooooo fortunate to still be working with UPS and have my full time driving position now.

I am known for taking out traffic signs now and people joke about it a lot. Oh well, it makes me stand out from everyone else :)

Anyways, glad to now be a part of this online community!

P.S. I was also part time shop steward

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We've been lurking about huddled here waiting on you.
Welcome to Brown Cafe and enjoy yourself
and ignore any member here who whose Username starts with UpState*******.

upschuck

Welcome to BC

I suspect taking that Christmas Eve off was a suspension, 2nd accident in 9 months. Both of those are off the now, so you don't have to fret about it anymore. A load off your mind for sure.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Welcome to BC

I suspect taking that Christmas Eve off was a suspension, 2nd accident in 9 months. Both of those are off the now, so you don't have to fret about it anymore. A load off your mind for sure.
No it wasn't a suspension. I was a Utility driver at the time so the worst they could do was pull my DOT card and keep my out of driving for a year. But that never happened

The center manager said that they could get by with one less route since volume wasn't ridiculous. He offered my xmas eve off I think so I could try and get the whole situation out of my head and enjoy the holidays, even though I hate the holidays now that I work for UPS lol.

The worst part of having an accident is having to face your co workers the day after. They have to sit through a powerpoint on the accident and waste their time (even though they get paid), and go through some safety stuff when they werent the ones who eff'd up.

upschuck

No it wasn't a suspension. I was a Utility driver at the time so the worst they could do was pull my DOT card and keep my out of driving for a year. But that never happened

The center manager said that they could get by with one less route since volume wasn't ridiculous. He offered my xmas eve off I think so I could try and get the whole situation out of my head and enjoy the holidays, even though I hate the holidays now that I work for UPS lol.

The worst part of having an accident is having to face your co workers the day after. They have to sit through a powerpoint on the accident and waste their time (even though they get paid), and go through some safety stuff when they werent the ones who eff'd up.
If you say so.