Where is my package?

UPSGUY72

In this case, the signed delivery notice is printed out by the customer and has the tracking number of the package on it. They must match for you to release it. If the consignee has more than one package, you must get a signed delivery notice for each package. A signed UPS infoNotice will not cut it. That is what we were told on our side of the building and that is the procedure that I follow. I don't want to be paying for somebody's iPhone!

I would bet Charles said that. He said something like that on are side of the building a couple of days after we started to deliver the phone this time and are SUP's and manger said he was wrong. We can take a SDN just not on the first delivery attempt, we also can take a printed out release, or and E sig. Just no Dr for Apple packages. Non apple I phone could be driver released at good DR location.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is from the apple website:

Shipping & Pickup - Apple Store (U.S.)

Scroll down to Delivery Options. To be fair, apple does say that consignees can sign the back of an info notice and that we can then release the package. Customers are encouraged to "pre-sign" for their deliveries by completing the online e-notice and taping it to the door. There must be a separate e-notice for each package. We are then tasked to compare the 1Z of the package(s) to that on the e-notice(s).

However, if you click on the link I provided, you will find a delivery notice. On the front you will see 4 options under "We could not leave the package(s) because..." Options A, B and C apply here. Option A is used when the delivery address is a non-DR area or the item is an obviously expensive one, such as high-end electronics, but which the shipper has not requested a signature. If we check that box the consignee then has the option of filling out the back of the info notice and we can then release the package. With Options B and C we must obtain a delivery signature in person--a SDN is not acceptable--the exception is for Option B in which the consignee can designate a neighbor to sign for the delivery. Whenever I have an Option B or C I will cross out the signature portion of the info notice so that the consignee will not be confused.

The SDN being referred to here is the e-notice that the consignee can download from apple, not our info notice.

Attachments

• Info Notice0001.pdf
    618.3 KB · Views: 420

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
...but how do you know that the SDN is for that specific package? We are not allowed to use SDN's for signature required packages regardless of the shipper--options B and C on the back of the info notice clearly state that we must get a signature. The SDN is only for those packages which do not require a signature yet we do not feel it is safe to DR, such as high end electronics or computers.
I make a delivery attempt on Wednesday. Not in 1, fill out a delivery notice informing consignee that the parcel was from Apple. Scan the delivery notice which ties the parcel to the barcode on the notice. When I return on Thursday I grab the SDN and leave the parcel in a safe location. That SDN has a direct tie to the Apple parcel from the previous day. OMS puts the SDN on file and the customer is happy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will concede that the SDN does act in the same way as the e-notice would; however, strictly speaking, the info notice does state that it cannot be used when a signature is required and, as such, I will not accept the SDN for any signature required package(s) regardless of shipper. The only exception would be if the consignee requested an indirect to a neighbor.

This will be my last comment on this topic---if we are allowed to accept a SDN for apple shipments why was it stressed repeatedly during our training that we are to compare 1Z's on the e-notice(s) with those on the package(s)? This cannot be done with a SDN.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
​No, he isn't.
SDN doesn't stand for "e-notice", it stands for Signed Delivery Notice. Everyone at UPS knows this, including the people who put that message in the DIAD. I work in a pretty big building and we've delivered a ton of IPhones like that and if it was a problem I'm sure we would have heard about it now.
If you center manager is telling you something different then either he doesn't understand the actual policy (most likely) or he's just into making up his own rules for whatever reason. Obviously you should do it however your center manager tells you even if he's wrong. Which he is.