Where to put the package.......

9.5 everyday

And you know if the driver left in on the stoop, the home owner would say, you left electronics in a brown box visible to the neighbors. I'm with the driver, if its not melting, no bag. Just like if there is a grey cloud in the sky, we cant put everything in a bag expecting that it will rain. Info notice every delivery for now on.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And you know if the driver left in on the stoop, the home owner would say, you left electronics in a brown box visible to the neighbors. I'm with the driver, if its not melting, no bag. Just like if there is a grey cloud in the sky, we cant put everything in a bag expecting that it will rain. Info notice every delivery for now on.

Come on guys; if you put a package potentially in harms way, you bag it.
That being said, in the snow is not an option without the bag.
This guy had no way of knowing when the home owner would bring in the package.
We absolutely can and should bag every package as if were going to rain.

That being said, the YouTube idiot set this guy up and deserves a beating.

AssistantSanta

They're both in wrong. Customer may have had legitimate reason to video tape for documentation especially if he's had problems more than once. Perhaps he's had something water damaged and go the run arounds from UPS claims, but stating "I will post it on YouTube" were fight words.

I feel that the driver talked back too much. Remember, drivers are public contact employees just like the customer counter people. "customer is always right" treatment applies. The YouTube clip is obviously missing to the point that led to the driver standing on the front porch on the phone with the center.

I would have attempted to smooth it out by nicely BSed my way through, and that I will be careful in future. If he isn't satisfied, I'd have asked what he'd like to see done and inform he has the option to refuse it or to call the 800 number to address concerns.

Telling the center "he says i will be on Youtube by end of the night" making sure the customer should can hear it was inappropriate.

If the inside did get wet and the "electronics" was from a mega major account shipper, I would call the shipper and request them to contact their UPS account rep. I've learned UPS' care factor goes up thousand fold based if the complaint comes from important customers with the decision power to "use someone else", which is possible if a bunch of Amazon.com customers complain to Amazon about wet Kindle.

tarbar66

Once the guy answered the door he should have picked it back up and handed it to him. And said oh I 'm glad your home. He could have had him sign for it and explained that for his convenience he was going to leave the pkg for him. And would it be OK to leave any future deliveries there, or would he prefer another location for the box to be left at next time if he is not home. That way he would not be without his pkg for an additional day. Could have all been done in maybe 15 seconds. Much faster than a you tube taping and call to the center.

The customer is obviously a rick with a P. So it's best to outsmart him and make him think you are on his side and leaving the pkg in that spot was helping HIM not You. Or embellish the story a bit and say that you set it there, and had to go back to the truck because you thought he had another box. But now realized that he didn't. Diffuse the situation by changing the conversation to another topic. The weather, the great thing you ordered from the same shipper (even if you didn't) , the good food smell coming from inside, sports, Etc. Anything that distracts him from his initial anger so you can get out of there and be on your way. You can't win an argument with an idiot, so don't try.

Many ways to deal with people like that. Most of the time its a power issue with them. It's the only time in their miserable life they can boss someone around. Turn it around on them and they will think you are the best driver ever.

I like your logic, may I suggest that you would make a great motivational speaker.

AKX

Its not melting at the time of delivery but that doesnt justify not using a bag. We can put everything in a bag. Remember, expect the unexpected.

CharleyHustle

I'm not a lawyer, but as a private citizen wouldn't the guy need my permission to post a picture or video of me to a public forum such as U-Tube?

over9five

Staff member
Which is why if this video was of me, I would be contacting a lawyer or at least a prosecuting attorney.

You have no expectation of privacy in a public place. I'm sure you could find a lawyer to take your money, but you would lose.

Fourth Amendment. Here is a short description of your expectation of privacy.

I think perhaps news services blur out faces because if they didn't, no-one would ever talk to them.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm on video many times during the day making deliveries with all the security cameras around. The homeowner has the perfect right to film whats happening in his yard. He was a jerk though, he was trying to provoke the driver. If I was the driver, I would have just explained that we are taught to leave things out of sight, and then leave. If the consignee wants to call in a concern, then so be it. There is no sense in standing there trying to argue with an idiot trying to start something. I do use DR bags all the time if there is not a good overhang to keep the package dry.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
The fact that this guy has to post it youtube says to me that he has no life, I mean fine want to call in and complain ok, want to show video to UPS ok, but really, get a life.

Hope this guys home is no DR's forever. I would also never say word one to this guy again, becuse if I did they would include get a life.

Driver should have bagged it, he learned a lesson.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I am curious if driver could have walked around back and found another spot? I know most don't like to take the extra time, but I would rather do that and avoid this situation. If the only place is out front and very visible, I leave a notice and ask where would you like this package left?? Let the customer decide. I would rather have him post a you-tube of me leaving a notice and being upset about that instead of leaving it out front. This is merely an opinion of a hillbilly.

Southwestern

I'm surprised by the number of posts criticizing the driver for cutting across the lawn. If the lawn yields the shortest path to the drop-off point, then my center mandates drivers cut across it. If a consumer prefers drivers stay off their lawn, then drivers are instructed to have them contact the company to have their request notated. Two drivers were terminated for refusing to cut across lawns; both filed and failed at state level.

over9five

Staff member
I'm surprised by the number of posts criticizing the driver for cutting across the lawn. If the lawn yields the shortest path to the drop-off point, then my center mandates drivers cut across it. If a consumer prefers drivers stay off their lawn, then drivers are instructed to have them contact the company to have their request notated. Two drivers were terminated for refusing to cut across lawns; both filed and failed at state level.

I call BS, can you back that up?