Where were you when the world stop turning

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was on worker's compensation for torn catilage in my hip and had an Orthopedic Dr's appt. that morning, in Ft Lauderdale (which is about 2 hrs south), at 11am. My wife Melissa, woke me up just after the first plane hit the tower. She had been watching The Today Show, and from that moment, we were glued to the TV. I can probably count the amount of time's I've cried, as an adult, on one hand. This was one of those time's.

This is a repost from another thread.

HomeDelivery

I was actually driving out of the Holland Tunnel on that morning... and while in NJ saw a whole bunch of EMS vehicles going northbound into the tunnel; got to my destination in south Jersey about 3 hours later & flipped on the TV in dis-belief...

whiskey

Thanks for the song faded jeans. Nice touch.
I was making my normal trace that morning, when the world turned upside down. I remember witnessing many, many moments with customers wearing blank stares. I stopped on Main street to give a cop doing a detail an update. As I leaned out of the driver side door of my package car, I told him they just hit the Pentegon. The cop on detail had just returned from a tour in the Middle East.
Thanks again Faded.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Maybe, since it seemed like the entire country was under attack and we didn't know where the next attack would be, It might be a wise idea to pull your employees off the road so they can go home and hug their loved ones. I am positive you will disagree with me, if for no other reason, just to disagree. Had Oswego been a target, you would have been vapor in that brown truck. If you want to go out like that, bully for you. I would imagine most people do not.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I was doing a rte 10 miles from a Major N.E airforce base,and 40 miles from a N.H nuke plant !! and Boston was only 5 miles !! Yeah, I was in Imminent danger,but only cared about getting home to my kids,BIT NO they kept us out there !!!

Unless your area is in imminent danger there would be no need to be pulled off the road.

Since the latest little terror threat was for reports of attempted use of truck bombs and since the UPS brownmobile is almost a universally trusted vehicle when it shows up compared to the fly by night couriers wouldn`t that make you somewhat in "imminent danger" of having someone try and take it from you?

On 9/11 with planes flying overhead and the broadcasted rumors running rampant of the next buildings being targeted might be the ones a stones throw away from what in itself may have been a nice target ( UPS` largest ground hub) the company didn`t even as so much acknowledge what was going on with any kind of messages to the workers at the building or warnings to drivers on the road to be careful.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Unless your area is in imminent danger there would be no need to be pulled off the road.

Correct.

Unfortunately, the "management" people I report to are not even capable of ensuring that the correct packages are loaded into my truck. I am screwed if I have to count on them to make a life-or-death decision as to whether or not my area is in "imminent danger"....and since they are no longer even allowed to make decisions, its pretty much a moot point anyway. My guess is that if a 9-11 type event happened again today, there would be many hours of chaos and confusion while we waited for some guy in a cubicle 200 miles away to make a decision.

old levi's

blank space
Thanks for the song faded jeans. Nice touch.
I was making my normal trace that morning, when the world turned upside down. I remember witnessing many, many moments with customers wearing blank stares. I stopped on Main street to give a cop doing a detail an update. As I leaned out of the driver side door of my package car, I told him they just hit the Pentegon. The cop on detail had just returned from a tour in the Middle East.
Thanks again Faded.

You're welcome.