Where would UPS rank?

Moneythehardway

Hey everybody,

Just curious, if there was a poll or list for the most physically demanding jobs, where would you think UPS would rank ( Loading/ Unloading, Sorting)? I would assume coal mining or similar would rank #1, Steel fabricators would be up there too, construction & UPS would run a close race but I think UPS would have to be in the top 15 at least. I'll say #10 spot.

So, what do you all think? Of course when i say physically demanding im not talking about the management or small sorts portions lol

drewed

Shankman
idk....those maybe more physically hazardous jobs but not nessarily demanding (not saying they are or arent)...id say long shoremen would be 1 or 2 firemen would be up there masons, ship builders

Tony31yrs

It might not rank high because most people don't realize how much constant work a driver has to do in a day to get it all done and on time. In addition, the stepping on and off the truck, lifting, carrying, hustling, etc. Even worse if you have one of the older cars. Some jobs might be harder, but most don't have you working hard all day and for so many hours. The high rate of injuries is a testament to how hard a job it is. I know a lot of retired drivers that are suffering from the years of doing the job.

Jim Kemp

It might not rank high because most people don't realize how much constant work a driver has to do in a day to get it all done and on time. In addition, the stepping on and off the truck, lifting, carrying, hustling, etc. Even worse if you have one of the older cars. Some jobs might be harder, but most don't have you working hard all day and for so many hours. The high rate of injuries is a testament to how hard a job it is. I know a lot of retired drivers that are suffering from the years of doing the job.

What are you talking about? All we do is "drive around". I hear it from my customers all the time.

satellitedriver

I have worked in a coal mine and I was a steel fabricator before that.
On a scale of 1 to 10, UPS rates about a 6.
This job/career is one of the easiest (physically and mentally) I have preformed in my 40yr working life.
Roofing just sucks, that is a 10 on my list.

Sammie

I guess roofing would fall under construction work. And judging from "The Perfect Storm", I doubt that fishermen have it very easy. Also, loggers, oil riggers (is that even the right term?) and the military.
How would a driver size up? Hard to compare.

Braveheart

Top 10 easy. Not comparing to hazardous just over all how hard the job is or stressful.

Lifting/carry/lowering hundreds of boxes, 125-150 stops per day,up and down out of seat and up and down out of truck stairs hundreds of times plus apt stairs, shifting gears what a thousand times, driving in traffic, dirt roads, crazy drivers, dogs, picky customers, working in the rain/sleet/snow/freezing temps/100 degree temps/70% humidity/ air commit times, ssi commit times, no 12-1 closed, all business off by 5pm, air saver commits, pick up commit times, air bay commit, on call airs, and the management as they follow us around like we are criminals to expect perfection in safety, methods, all the while expecting us to run scratch despite traffic, accidents, whether, cod issues etc etc etc

I think the micro management and non-stop go go go is what drives me crazy. When I first started driving over 10 years ago it was work hard, steady pace, solid attendance, no missed pick ups, no accidents, rare complaints, rare late airs and rare del mistakes and you were fine. Now they want perfection in every single aspect or your fired.

Roofers got to be in top 3. I threw sod but UPS is way more demanding.

Last edited:

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
You always hear the comparison between physically and mentally demanding. I would guess, (because I haven't done it), that a package driver has to deal with both. I have had some physically demanding and mentally demanding but usually not at the same time. So, I would say a package car driver would have to be in the top 3. You can't really compare loading, unloading or sorting because the people that do those jobs usually only do it for 1 sort (3-4 hours). Unless you're a laid off feeder driver in Toledo and they make you load/unload on consecutive sorts. That will definitely let you know how old and out of shape you are.:wornout:

upsgrunt

King crab fishing in the Bering Sea- Have you ever seen that show? Those guys are nuts and definately have to be top 5. Just ask Mike Rowe:happy2:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Sorry, but it would not be in the top 50. Loading & unloading might be close.

Any type of farming, roofing, construction, fishing, steel work, landscaping, so many more physically demanding jobs.

Package car driver can be called physically demanding, but maybe only in the top 50%. Be serious.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Corrections officer !! my brother is a Srg. in the joint,locked in with the scum of Mass. No gun either,don't know how those guys do it.I think its worse than being a cop.

sexyupsman

I dont even work for UPS but I would have to rank the work at a 10 as for the physical demand aspect. I have seen drivers struggle with lifting those over 70lbs boxes and it has to suck even more in the hot sun or the cold rain. UPSers have one of the hardest jobs in America. Not the hardest or most physically demanding but it definately ranks up there. UPS drivers are the best!:peaceful:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I dont even work for UPS but I would have to rank the work at a 10 as for the physical demand aspect. I have seen drivers struggle with lifting those over 70lbs boxes and it has to suck even more in the hot sun or the cold rain. UPSers have one of the hardest jobs in America. Not the hardest or most physically demanding but it definately ranks up there. UPS drivers are the best!:peaceful:

Do you work a desk-job?