Where would UPS rank?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
For some reason, I felt insulted by someone saying this was one of the top 10 hardest jobs - after watching my father work his whole life in labor, my friends, my family, me. I can't explain why it bothered me so much.

How about this - Being a UPS driver is the easiest labor position on the planet that pays $30 / hour.

upsgrunt

All I'm going to say is it takes a special person to work at UPS and not just anyone can do it. I've seen many people that just couldn't hack it. Whether or not it was too hard, or they just lacked thick skin remains to be seen, but I'd lean toward the physical and mental difficulty.

rod

Retired 22 years
How about this - Being a UPS driver is the easiest labor position on the planet that pays $30 / hour.

I don't know about that. I have a friend that works for the local Parks Dept. and he seriously has to go out of his way to find something to do most days. He more or less drives around all day between the towns 6 parks and looks for odds and ends to do. If it envolves anything physical he has his partner (less seniority) get out and do it. For this he is paid $29 bucks an hour plus full benefits. He also has 5 weeks of vaca, tons of sick days and EVERY holiday there is off. He also gets to work on and wash his personal vehical in the heated and airconditioned city garage after work. (sometimes even during work). Lots of govt. and trade labor jobs pay just as good or better that UPS. If someone at UPS does have an easy job it is probably because they have "paid their dues" and I'm not talking about Union Dues

ups1990

You want to talk about stress and dangerous. Spoke to a Army vet, back from Iraq. he was in charge of making sure the roads were safe from roadside bombs, before the Humvees could drive on them.

I, notice roofers, packing it in around 3pm. They know what time they'll finish work, we don't.

Commercial fisherman must have it tough, at least we go home that evening, eventually.

satellitedriver

For some reason, I felt insulted by someone saying this was one of the top 10 hardest jobs - after watching my father work his whole life in labor, my friends, my family, me. I can't explain why it bothered me so much.

Many labor jobs actually pay more, per hour.
At least around here..

DS

Fenderbender
You want to talk about stress and dangerous. Spoke to a Army vet, back from Iraq. he was in charge of making sure the roads were safe from roadside bombs, before the Humvees could drive on them.

I, notice roofers, packing it in around 3pm. They know what time they'll finish work, we don't.

Commercial fisherman must have it tough, at least we go home that evening, eventually.
OK by far being in the armed forces is way harder.
I concur.I know Canadas effort in Afghanistan is limited but we have had almost 130 fatalities to roadside bombs and suicide freaks.
I'm starting to wonder if its going to end up like vietnam.

satellitedriver

Vets and all military personnel have my highest respect and regards.

Simple reason for that.
When it gets so hot, walking on the roof tiles destroys them.

Commercial fishermen are a breed apart.
I spent 5 yrs of my life being a net maker
(really, cool skill /craft to have)
and all the men (and some women), I met that ran their own boat, would not have it any other way.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

how about not ! every other job mentioned is not maxed out allmost daily with atleast a 9.5 planned. We never have easy days,, they pay alot of people alot of money to make sure of that. Amazing how the entire damned management and preload team converge on your truck when you barely have enough work for a 8 hr day, but when you have a 11 hr nobody seems to care, back to my point,, we never get a break,, every day is a hard day

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
how about not ! every other job mentioned is not maxed out allmost daily with atleast a 9.5 planned. We never have easy days,, they pay alot of people alot of money to make sure of that. Amazing how the entire damned management and preload team converge on your truck when you barely have enough work for a 8 hr day, but when you have a 11 hr nobody seems to care, back to my point,, we never get a break,, every day is a hard day

Nobody said UPS delivery driver isn't hard. Most everyone agrees it does not rank up there with really physically demanding jobs.

I guess you just have to go by personal experience - I have done many physically demanding jobs in my life - Commercial construction, roofing, landscaping, steelwork - and delivery driving, although physically demanding, is by far the easiest of any I personally have ever done. Sorry if that insults anyone, I'm not trying to.

I'd venture to say anyone who has done anything other than UPS would feel the same way, but I don't know for sure.

Tell you what - next time you deliver to a construction site, tell them your opinion. I do believe you'd get your ass kicked.

(bonus points for naming that movie)

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Tell you what - next time you deliver to a construction site, tell them your opinion. I do believe you'd get your ass kicked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------maybe you would get yours kicked,, than again your telling me landscaping and construction are hard jobs,,,,,,,,,,,,id walk through them fat lazy bastards like Grant through Richmond son :knockedout:

upsgrunt

Nobody said UPS delivery driver isn't hard. Most everyone agrees it does not rank up there with really physically demanding jobs.

I guess you just have to go by personal experience - I have done many physically demanding jobs in my life - Commercial construction, roofing, landscaping, steelwork - and delivery driving, although physically demanding, is by far the easiest of any I personally have ever done. Sorry if that insults anyone, I'm not trying to.

I'd venture to say anyone who has done anything other than UPS would feel the same way, but I don't know for sure.

(bonus points for naming that movie)

Another thing to factor in is length of time doing said job. The first few years of driving may seem easy physically and more tough mentally. The more years you put in the opposite is true. I would be interested in your opinion when you "get the green out".

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Another thing to factor in is length of time doing said job. The first few years of driving may seem easy physically and more tough mentally. The more years you put in the opposite is true. I would be interested in your opinion when you "get the green out".

That argument doesn't work though - every job gets harder once you "get the green out"

satellitedriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedriver
At least around here..

NOT being an instigator or being argumentative - can you name one?
Yes, I can name that tune.
Welder helpers make $35/hr, Lawn mowing services base their pay a $30/hr.
Tree trimmers base is $100/hr.
I could name more, but, running a grinder, riding a lawn mower or being able to run a chain saw sounds like simple labor to me.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedriver
At least around here..

Yes, I can name that tune.
Welder helpers make $35/hr, Lawn mowing services base their pay a $30/hr.
Tree trimmers base is $100/hr.
I could name more, but, running a grinder, riding a lawn mower or being able to run a chain saw sounds like simple labor to me.

Where do you live? Because I am immediately quitting UPS and moving there.

Because on the entire East Coast, a welder helper / apprentice is $12 / hour. Lawn mowing is under $10 / hour, and a tree trimmer / climber is under $20. I am friends with two quite large tree companies in NJ, and the owners of the company don't make $100/hour.

Are you located in the USA? Because one of the owners of the tree companies wants to move there also.

Last edited:

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
The point I was trying to make was that most jobs are physically demanding or mentally demanding. Being a package driver seems to be both. Just my perception because, like I said, I haven't done it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------maybe you would get yours kicked,, than again your telling me landscaping and construction are hard jobs,,,,,,,,,,,,id walk through them fat lazy bastards like Grant through Richmond son :knockedout:
Couldn't do that unless I learn to speak Mexican/Spanish.