Where would UPS rank?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedriver
Many labor jobs actually pay more, per hour.
At least around here..

Yes, I can name that tune.
Welder helpers make $35/hr, Lawn mowing services base their pay a $30/hr.
Tree trimmers base is $100/hr.
I could name more, but, running a grinder, riding a lawn mower or being able to run a chain saw sounds like simple labor to me.

Where do you live? Because I am immediately quitting UPS and moving there.

Because on the entire East Coast, a welder helper / apprentice is $12 / hour. Lawn mowing is under $10 / hour, and a tree trimmer / climber is under $20. I am friends with two quite large tree companies in NJ, and the owners of the company don't make $100/hour.

Are you located in the USA? Because one of the owners of the tree companies wants to move there also.

satellitedriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedriver
Many labor jobs actually pay more, per hour.
At least around here..

Yes, I can name that tune.
Welder helpers make $35/hr, Lawn mowing services base their pay a $30/hr.
Tree trimmers base is $100/hr.
I could name more, but, running a grinder, riding a lawn mower or being able to run a chain saw sounds like simple labor to me.

Where do you live? Because I am immediately quitting UPS and moving there.

Because on the entire East Coast, a welder helper / apprentice is $12 / hour. Lawn mowing is under $10 / hour, and a tree trimmer / climber is under $20. I am friends with two quite large tree companies in NJ, and the owners of the company don't make $100/hour.

Are you located in the USA? Because one of the owners of the tree companies wants to move there also.
Texas,
Come on down and see the difference.
It is like another country.

The workers, of that owners tree company, probably had to travel through Texas to get to NJ. They should have stopped and looked around when they crossed the border.
Case in point,
last year I had two 100ft tall pine tree's with 3ft trunks removed that were endangering my home.
The crew came,(yes, they were Hispanic and legal immigrants ) and 2hr's later, Bingo.
Tree, stump and not even a twig was left on the ground when they left with my $600 check.
It was worth the money, just to watch work done so efficiently.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Texas,
Come on down and see the difference.
It is like another country.

The workers, of that owners tree company, probably had to travel through Texas to get to NJ. They should have stopped and looked around when they crossed the border.
Case in point,
last year I had two 100ft tall pine tree's with 3ft trunks removed that were endangering my home.
The crew came,(yes, they were Hispanic and legal immigrants ) and 2hr's later, Bingo.
Tree, stump and not even a twig was left on the ground when they left with my $600 check.
It was worth the money, just to watch work done so efficiently.

Oh, ok, sorry, I thought you were being serious. My bad.

huskres

Tree trimming is a different ball game. But mowing companys that are just so and legit as in pay taxes and everything aim for 50 an hour. Add in a helper and push that to about 85.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
You both, and I mean absolutely no disrespect here whatsoever, are nuts :wink2:

Using your formula, I, as a UPS driver delivering 200 pieces in a 10 hour day at say $20 per package, am making $400 per hour. Sign me up.

Apples to Apples, please.

My statement was "Being a UPS driver is the easiest labor position on the planet that pays $30 / hour."

satellitedriver

No offense taken on my part.

Using your formula,
You used the word "your",(which is singular) in a response to two different posts, now that is just nuts.:happy2:
I, as a UPS driver delivering 200 pieces in a 10 hour day
That would work out to 20 pkgs an hour.
On straight time pay I make $28 an hour(roughly) and will leave out the OT quotient for the hours over eight.
I may be nuts, but the math works out to $1.40 a pkg.
at say $20 per package,
am making $400 per hour.
Where did you go to school?
Sign me up.
Not without a Parental consent note.
OK, but stop trying to put oranges into the equation.
My statement was "Being a UPS driver is the easiest labor position on the planet that pays $30 / hour."
Duly noted, but you happen to be incorrect.
No offense, intended or implied.

UPSNewbie

Using your formula, I, as a UPS driver delivering 200 pieces in a 10 hour day at say $20 per package, am making $400 per hour. Sign me up.

wat

I don't know why, but I am remembering how it was trying to teach my 13 year old daughter when she already knew everything there was to know.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
All I know is, I invited others to suggest an easier job in the USA that pays $30+ per hour.

What I got was suggestions that a person mowing lawns makes $85/hour. Tree trimmers making $100/hour. Welder helpers making $35/hour. Nonsense, in other words.

When I called BS, an example was given that tree-work was done by 3 people over a 2 hour period, costing $600, and therefore they received $100/hour. By using that same flawed logic, I gave my example of how UPS drivers are making $400/hour. I know it is not correct, just as stating the tree guys made $100/hour on their paycheck was not correct.

Until suggested otherwise using at least common sense, let alone facts, I stand by my statement - there is no job available that is easier that pays $30/hour.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My friend worked for Qwest (phone company), retired from Qwest and now is a contractor for Qwest. She makes more money than I do and takes her laptop to work so she has something to do. That sounds pretty easy to me.

satellitedriver

All I know is, I invited others to suggest an easier job in the USA that pays $30+ per hour.
And, you got it.

What I got was suggestions that a person mowing lawns makes $85/hour. Tree trimmers making $100/hour. Welder helpers making $35/hour. Nonsense, in other words.
I made no suggestions.
I stated facts known to me.

My welder friend pays his helper $35/hr.
I cut that $600.00 check to the tree trimmers( as you call them)

When I called BS, an example was given that tree-work was done by 3 people over a 2 hour period, costing $600, and therefore they received $100/hour.
Never said it was done by 3 people.
I said the stumps were 3ft in diameter.

I have known Carlos ( the tree trimmer) for a decade.
He bases his jobs on $100/hr for him and $20/hr for his helpers.

He had 8 helpers on the job that day.
Since you seem to have a problem with the distinction between math and logic, I will point out the simple math.
Carlos = $200
Helpers = $360
Tax 8% = $ 45
---------------
Total = $605

By using that same flawed logic, I gave my example of how UPS drivers are making $400/hour.
It was your confusion with fact and logic that was flawed.
I know it is not correct,
Thanks for that admission of error.
just as stating the tree guys made $100/hour on their paycheck was not correct.
I was the one that cut their paycheck that day, so I know what I stated was correct.

Until suggested otherwise using at least common sense, let alone facts, I stand by my statement - there is no job available that is easier that pays $30/hour.
I have a few more examples up my sleeve, but you tend to hold onto the "logic", of your beliefs.

"I stand by my statement - there is no job available that is easier that pays $30/hour."
I do not know what your definition of "easier" happens to be, but,there are vocations out there in the real world that pays as well, or better, than UPS.
I choose to live in my own little world and you choose to live in a dream.
Nothing wrong with either lifestyle.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Wish you were here...
earth.jpg

slantnosechevy

That's a tough question to answer. I worked construction 15 years and been behind the wheel of a PC 23 years. I've watched a lot of people from the mills, ex cops, firemen, construction walk in our door and complain about how hard our job is. It takes a while to get in UPS shape. Once the ones who make it do... the job gets easier to them physically. The mental.....takes some longer than others. All I know is Physical therapists and sports doctors I deliver to tell me there isn't a job more demanding phyically and mentally than ours because it's non-stop. The daily repetative beating on joints and muscles over an 9,10, or 11 hour day is the worst thing you can do to your body. Our cardio is good but thats where it stops. I had a division mngr. tell me the divorce rate is 20% higher than the next closest occupation. Most 30 and 35 year guys have told me as they retire that there's no way they would've made it as long as they did working at the pace we've had over the last 15.

I know that my lawn guy earns $45 an hour, I pay him $45 and it takes him approx. 1 hour from unloading the equipment to when he drives away with the check. Doing the so complicated math, it comes out to $45 per hour. I checked it twice just to make sure.

My wife is a respiratory therapist, she earns $28.xx per hour. There are very few days that she goes non-stop(in fact there are many times she does nothing for two to three hours during the day) for 10+ hours and the heaviest thing she picks up all day is an air tank that weighs around 20 pounds. 2 year degree, same as mine.