Where would UPS rank?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I know that my lawn guy earns $45 an hour, I pay him $45 and it takes him approx. 1 hour from unloading the equipment to when he drives away with the check. Doing the so complicated math, it comes out to $45 per hour. I checked it twice just to make sure.

Then you best sit down with a pencil & pen & concentrate really, really hard. Take your time. Unless your lawn guy has a free mower, free gas, free oil, free insurance, free truck, he does not make $45/hour.

Will you need a calculator?

The example with your wife is much better - that is a true $28/hour.

satellitedriver

Then you best sit down with a pencil & pen & concentrate really, really hard. Take your time. Unless your lawn guy has a free mower, free gas, free oil, free insurance, free truck, he does not make $45/hour.

So, using your logic.
Do you get free gas, free oil, free car insurance, free car to get to UPS to make $30 an hour?
I don't think so.
Plus, the expenses, of the "lawn guy", are legal tax deduction, as a cost of doing business and you do not have that benefit.
Apples to apples, remember?

Where did I say he cleared $45? I didn't say that, I said he earned it, which he did.
Flash...UPS drivers don't clear $28.xx per hour either. If you don't believe that just take a look at your check stub.
I know several car sales people that take home around $75k per year.

Hey everybody,

Just curious, if there was a poll or list for the most physically demanding jobs, where would you think UPS would rank ( Loading/ Unloading, Sorting)? I would assume coal mining or similar would rank #1, Steel fabricators would be up there too, construction & UPS would run a close race but I think UPS would have to be in the top 15 at least. I'll say #10 spot.

So, what do you all think? Of course when i say physically demanding im not talking about the management or small sorts portions lol

Interesting thread. I have done the Alaska fishing thing and logging and I would say that the last 21 years with this outfit ranks right up there. Only the skippers were smarter on the boats.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
So, using your logic. Do you get free gas, free oil, free car insurance, free car to get to UPS to make $30 an hour?
I don't think so.

I'm not working on the clock yet when I drive to work. Unless you are saying I pay for the diesel that goes in the package car (which you may be, based on the logic you have used thus far) I don't pay for the diesel or insurance on the package car, by the way.

Plus, the expenses, of the "lawn guy", are legal tax deduction, as a cost of doing business and you do not have that benefit.
Apples to apples, remember?

The lawn guy pays taxes and expenses to reduce his take-home pay. That is a .....benefit?

I've decided that there is some inside joke here I'm not privy to. You cannot possibly be this obtuse unless it is on purpose, for reasons I don't know, so I'm done.

satellitedriver

I'm not working on the clock yet when I drive to work. Unless you are saying I pay for the diesel that goes in the package car (which you may be, based on the logic you have used thus far) I don't pay for the diesel or insurance on the package car, by the way.
I said none of the above and you missed the point I was trying to make.
In a nutshell, you have to spend money to get to work to make money, so does an independent contractor.

The lawn guy pays taxes and expenses to reduce his take-home pay. That is a .....benefit?
I hope you do not do your own taxes.

I've decided that there is some inside joke here I'm not privy to. You cannot possibly be this obtuse unless it is on purpose, for reasons I don't know, so I'm done.
No jokes, just facts.

Moneythehardway

Yeah I forgot about those seals, They train strenuously throughout the nights and early mornings, in freezing cold water and other tasks to say the least...how could I forget about them, Now the marines I don't know..............

jasonjrf

Hey everybody,

Just curious, if there was a poll or list for the most physically demanding jobs, where would you think UPS would rank ( Loading/ Unloading, Sorting)? I would assume coal mining or similar would rank #1, Steel fabricators would be up there too, construction & UPS would run a close race but I think UPS would have to be in the top 15 at least. I'll say #10 spot.

So, what do you all think? Of course when i say physically demanding im not talking about the management or small sorts portions lol

Not sure why everyone is talking about the UPS drivers that Job is a cake walk. The hard Job at USP which eveyone who works there starts doing is Loading the semi Trucks. I did it and could only handle it for 1.5 months or so. In that time I literally noticed a visual difference in my biceps getting bigger. Man that was the hardest job ive done I think its up there with masonry or roofing its just sprinting for 4 hours nonstop as fast as you can. Its insane. Crab fishing and coal mining and :censored2: are obviosly worse

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not sure why everyone is talking about the UPS drivers that Job is a cake walk. The hard Job at USP which eveyone who works there starts doing is Loading the semi Trucks. I did it and could only handle it for 1.5 months or so. In that time I literally noticed a visual difference in my biceps getting bigger. Man that was the hardest job ive done I think its up there with masonry or roofing its just sprinting for 4 hours nonstop as fast as you can. Its insane. Crab fishing and coal mining and :censored2: are obviosly worse
Were you ever a driver? No, then how can you even offer an opinion?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Unloading feeders was the hardest thing I've done physically at ups. Package car driver next, then loading feeders, followed by pickoff, sort aisle then irreg train driver.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

The Range

In too deep
Loading and unloading feeders is up there, depending on the pace in which you work. Both allow you the opportunity to completely work yourself into the ground. It is all in the pace.

The number of people on this board who could handle some of the more hellish feeder load/unload setups is slim. Some of the heaviest trucks are reserved only for the creme of the crop. Physical inadequacy aside, half of you are eliminated due to a weak mindset in which you overestimate your own worth in an environment where thank you is rare.

Last edited:

Oak

Through this thread I saw logging mentioned a few times. Logging is tough work, but doesn't hold a candle to sawmill labor. Been there, done both.

A 1" x 12" ten foot oak board will weigh about 85 lbs straight off the log. One after the other all day long will make you wish you were loading a feeder.