Where's Waldo? Secretly writing a new contract...

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm in a small center too and we don't play that. Even when we weren't as union minded as we've gotten lately.
I've been trying to get more people in our center to stand up for themselves but they bow out due to the harassment and intimidation. We have scabs working our building and the steward doesn't even care. I SMH everyday and wonder just what the hell I can do to make people stand up for themselves.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've been trying to get more people in our center to stand up for themselves but they bow out due to the harassment and intimidation. We have scabs working our building and the steward doesn't even care. I SMH everyday and wonder just what the hell I can do to make people stand up for themselves.
Show them that it can be done by showing them how its done. Do you have an alternate steward?

scooby0048

ScreenCap127 Sep. 13 21.10.jpg

@dupa do you disagree that I live in a one person consent recording state or that private sector can make up their own rules regarding recording conversations? If you know something I don't about this, I'd sure like to hear your input.

scooby0048

Become a steward and make a difference. Why let a bad apple ruin the whole bunch?

I have asked the fine folks of this board just how to do that and it seems that the only way that will happen is if the current steward steps down or we as a group can get a new vote for one. That's part of the problem, the group as a whole are for lack of any better word, pooosies. The five of us that raise hell can't convince the others to step up, hence why we are in the position we are in anyways.

Inthegame

I have asked the fine folks of this board just how to do that and it seems that the only way that will happen is if the current steward steps down or we as a group can get a new vote for one. That's part of the problem, the group as a whole are for lack of any better word, pooosies. The five of us that raise hell can't convince the others to step up, hence why we are in the position we are in anyways.
Scooby, every local has different procedures for steward appointment or election that should be in your bylaws. Normally stewards have defined terms of office but if no other member shows interest the terms get "extended" as the feeling is if no one complains they must be satisfied with the steward. If you want to shake the tree, call your PO, ask for a copy of your bylaws and do some reading. Even if the bylaws are silent, if you make noise, most likely they'll run an election. Any decent steward will welcome an election as a barometer of performance.
Don't use a recorder again (and never tell anyone you did), take good notes instead.

scooby0048

This could be tossed as an extra contract agreement?
Thoughts?

That was one of my original thoughts but I am in not the union steward and have not actually talked to the BA regarding this and the statement of past practice. I sent an email to the BA and am awaiting his response so I would be glad to report back once I get some dialogue from the hall.

Cementups

Box Monkey

You need to check with the local on the process in your area, not the idiots here on this board. Here, our stewards are great. It's our BA who is a POS.

alwaysoverallowed

Yes. If the extra conditions were on the form. Article 6.
I agree that this would an extra contract agreement and a violation and also a violation as it pertains to the 9.5 committee since they are the ones that determine what the 9.5 language is and how it is to be applied. Sounds like you have a twofer to get this signed paper tossed. Also if you're in the office and the load the BM is giving you is getting too heavy stop the conversation and tell them you need to confer with your local by doing this you save face incase you friend up.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
FYI you could be fired for good for recording any conversations while on ups property. Don't tell anyone you did this.
So your saying if I put a recorder on the desk while I talked to my business manager I would be fired? And if I played a recording in a meeting I would be fired? How about if I videotaped or took photos? Done all that many times, never fired. As a Steward you have the right to use those means to investigate and document grievances just as UPS uses all of the same means to substantiate discipline. Every smart phone is a great recording device and everyone should assume it is being used as such.

So your saying if I put a recorder on the desk while I talked to my business manager I would be fired? And if I played a recording in a meeting I would be fired? How about if I videotaped or took photos? Done all that many times, never fired. As a Steward you have the right to use those means to investigate and document grievances just as UPS uses all of the same means to substantiate discipline. Every smart phone is a great recording device and everyone should assume it is being used as such.
Worst advice ever. Ups has a strict no recording policy. I would not take your advice nor would I put it on a message board for others to follow. Its irresponsible. You will lose your job 100% of the time at panel if you record anything as far as conversations go with a recorder. I've seen it time and again.

scooby0048

Not true at all. Some states you have to tell them they are being recorded but in my state the only person who has to know is the one doing the recording
Same applies in my state, it's called a one consent state, a protected right but not necessarily in the private sector.

Worst advice ever. Ups has a strict no recording policy. I would not take your advice nor would I put it on a message board for others to follow. Its irresponsible. You will lose your job 100% of the time at panel if you record anything as far as conversations go with a recorder. I've seen it time and again.

@Lead Belly I do not doubt what you are saying and I know I'm going to sound like Integrity but in the spirit of promoting discussion and good arguments, I have to wonder if you live in a multiple consent state and that's the reason people were fired for recording due to not getting the consent from all parties involved.

Also I know several companies have this no recording stance to protect themselves from corporate espionage to protect their trade secrets, privileged communique, and material equipment. In that example, the conversation being recorded does not contain any of the above mentioned precursors. I understand what you are saying in the sense that recording while at work could and or does fall under insubordination because UPS is saying not to. For now, good writing and notes I guess.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Well I'm' living proof you 're wrong. I have some great stuff that perhaps will find its way to youtube once I retire.