Which BC Member Has Been Fired The Most?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Honestly, what would your center manager say to you if you brought back 30 pieces sheeted as missed? Honest response, please.

Honestly, I wouldn't give a rats ass what he said. Their plan, their fail. If they dont want missed stops on the report then all they need to do is make rational dispatch decisions and send help when I request it. Its not rocket science. If I tell them repeatedly that the dispatch is hopeless and they cannot or will not send help then the stops get missed and we try again tomorrow. Not my problem.

U

uber

Honestly, I wouldn't give a rats ass what he said. Their plan, their fail. If they dont want missed stops on the report then all they need to do is make rational dispatch decisions and send help when I request it. Its not rocket science. If I tell them repeatedly that the dispatch is hopeless and they cannot or will not send help then the stops get missed and we try again tomorrow. Not my problem.

I agree with you. I've just heard its an absolute no-no where I work. I've called into the office when my package car blew out during peak season from pickups and was told, "you're a professional driver deal with it" from an OMS. I had to call an on-road sup to do something as I couldn't fit another envelope in there. Not quite the same, but didn't know what to do.

U

uber

On what grounds?

When the company intentionally sends you out on a hopeless abortion car whose only purpose is to get stops out of the building, there is only so much that is humanly possible.

If you have notified them repeatedly that you cannot get done and they make a business decsion to refuse to send help, then missed stops are the natural and unavoidable consequence of that decision. In this particular case, I had pickup volume that needed to be in by 9:00 so that it could be processed. Any action I took at that point was going to result in service failures; I had intentionally been set up to fail by an incompetent "management" team; so I made the decision that 28 missed delivery stops was preferable to 100+ pickup pieces not getting processed until the following day. Its called "triage" and sometimes as a driver you have no other choice but to utilise it.

If that was the case then ya, I agree. You can only do what you can do.

Just curious, but was that like a 14 hour planned day?

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
​I like that!
Zero terminations. Zero suspension letters.

I have amassed a collection of warning letters over the years for broken mirrors, tree branches thru roofs, cracked windows, and the other minor and inevitable damage that occurs when a P-700 car is dispatched on a rural route that really needs a p-57 or smaller. In 29 years of having a drivers license I have never been involved in any sort of traffic accident, and the only moving violation I have ever gotten was 28 years ago, when I was 18 and stupid, for speeding in my '77 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner in order to show off to my girlfriend.

I did get a warning letter a couple of years ago for "failure to follow methods" when I brought 28 missed stops back to the building at 9:00 at night. I had told them repeatedly throughout the day that I had no chance of getting done; they did not send help; so the stops came back. When I got the warning letter, I asked them which specific methods I had failed to follow and they were unable to tell me. The bottom line was that my center manager got his ass chewed for those missed stops and so he had to generate a warning letter in order to meet is quota and create the illusion that he was actually "doing something" about the problem. The warning letter wasnt worth the paper it was written on; it dropped off automatically after 9 months anyway; and 3 months after that the manager who wrote it got fired for stealing Oxycontin from the NDA VA packages we deliver. Karma may be a bitch, but if you play your cards right and do the right thing she can be your bitch.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Honestly, what would your center manager say to you if you brought back 30 pieces sheeted as missed? Honest response, please.

Did you notice that I never said that I agreed with Sober bringing back the undelivered work and sheeting it as missed? I would have come in, dumped my pickups and then gone back out and delivered all of those packages.

My center manager would have a conniption if anyone brought back 30 packages and proceeded to sheet all of them as missed on their own.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You must work in Camelot. I've written this story before, but it feels appropriate to retell: as a seasonal driver, I was assigned a split comprising of three rural areas, each with business stops, totaling 300 stops. On a good day, this split would be challenging to pull on-time. But on this particular day, they had me do air meets and by the time I reached my first stop it was approaching 2PM. Management was aware of the situation, and told me to deliver all my major business stops first (by 5), ignoring any outliers mixed in the load. So I worked as directed -- as each area was about 20 minutes apart, I wasted nearly 1.5 hours in transit. So shortly after 5PM, I knocked off my first residential stop, with an estimated 220 remaining - in a snowy, icy rural area that you can deliver about 15-25 SPH. At 7PM, I'm doing well, but it's clear I'm not going to finish, so I message the building. They have no one, but as it's peak, they'll contact another UPS center that's home to the other drivers delivering near me. I'm told not to worry about the handful of pick-ups I have (all Ground, mostly ARS, none scheduled pick-ups). No one helps and I work until I hit 13 hours and key my lunch on the return to the building (hour drive).

The next day, management is livid with me, telling me I brought back more missed packages in one day than the rest of the district combined. I'm told that after peak, I will be terminated for an array of serious infractions, including working over 13 hours (keying my lunch on the way back from the building). But I never hear anything about the incident again.

What would you have done?

Did you notice that I never said that I agreed with Sober bringing back the undelivered work and sheeting it as missed? I would have come in, dumped my pickups and then gone back out and delivered all of those packages.

My center manager would have a conniption if anyone brought back 30 packages and proceeded to sheet all of them as missed on their own.

soberups

I agree with you. I've just heard its an absolute no-no where I work. I've called into the office when my package car blew out during peak season from pickups and was told, "you're a professional driver deal with it" from an OMS. I had to call an on-road sup to do something as I couldn't fit another envelope in there. Not quite the same, but didn't know what to do.

What you have "heard" is not the truth, only a myth that has been propogated by your management team in order to intimidate people into skipping their lunches and breaks in order to prop up an otherwise hopeless dispatch.

As professional drivers we have both a contractual and an ethical obligation to do everything in our power to avoid service failures, but that obligation does not include working unsafely, working off the clock or being dishonest. Once we have clearly communicated the impending service failures to our management team, it becomes their responsibility to fix the situation not ours and if they choose to do nothing then the consequences are on them. They dont have to like it. Their plan, their fail.

soberups

If that was the case then ya, I agree. You can only do what you can do.

Just curious, but was that like a 14 hour planned day?

It wound up being close to 13 if I recall correctly. It was on the 3rd of July before a 3 day weekend when they took a chainsaw to the dispatch and eliminated half the routes in the center. A total custerfluck. The service failures were self-inflicted.

soberups

The next day, management is livid with me, telling me I brought back more missed packages in one day than the rest of the district combined. I'm told that after peak, I will be terminated for an array of serious infractions, including working over 13 hours (keying my lunch on the way back from the building). But I never hear anything about the incident again.

What would you have done?

The same as you, except I would have taken my half hour lunch in the middle of the day and brought even more stops back. The sad reality of dealing with UPS management is that the more missed stops you shove up their ass the more motivation you give them to make rational decisions the next time around. They intentionally set you up to fail, why is that your problem?

soberups

35 minutes out to area, 35 minutes back, so in this case had I follwed your course of action I would have gone over 14 hours without getting a significant number of those stops off. Plus, as a matter of safety and principle, I refuse to knock on doors or walk up rural residential driveways after 9:00 at night. And has far as the center manager having a conniption fit...thats his problem not mine. I'm just the messenger.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I,and 3 other drivers were told we were terminated during the One Day Strike of 1994. The center manager came to the line and told us we had FIVE EFFING MINUTES to get to work or we were FIRED as the company( and i swear i'm not making this up) had not given the union permission to strike.
yeah we were all back at work the next day

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Fired once. It was a total mistake. My sort supervisor and Hub manager both went to bat for me at the center level hearing. Now that I'm a backup steward, I'm not too sure they'll go to bat for me anymore...lol.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Twice in 29 years. Both times complete BS. They've come after me more times than I can remember. Following the methods has always been a saving grace.