Which courier are you

Doc Sorting Dude

As I am nearing retirement I am milking this company for all I can get. With this new raise, I'm staying out later soaking in that OT. This is a great time to bump up that 401k contributions. It's all about me now a days. It's time for the company to pay the piper.

Oldfart

As I am nearing retirement I am milking this company for all I can get. With this new raise, I'm staying out later soaking in that OT. This is a great time to bump up that 401k contributions. It's all about me now a days. It's time for the company to pay the piper.
X2 My sentiments exactly. I actually dropped 401k from 20% to 6%. Getting to the point where I feel like I am about to start saving for my 3 kids inheritance and its time to put more in my pocket instead. The kids can live on anything that is left when I pass on. Unless we have another 2008 on Wall Street, I will be sitting pretty.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I've worked for express for 12 years at 2 different stations and come to the conclusion that fedex has several types of couriers
THE MILK MAN- this driver gets 11 hours each day regardless if they have 50 stops or 90
The Lazy Guy-this driver never can help anyone else and always needs to be helped out on his route
The Cryer- very emotional courier that can turn on the tears for anything.
The textbook courier- very similar to the milk man but this driver gets so many hours because every policy and rule is followed by this courier.
The superstar-always does well on their route,takes extra stops,doesn't complain,pretty much an over achiever and the person that fedex want to go into management...
Those are just a few what others am I missing

The silent assassin - similar to superstar. Learns as much as he possibly can about as many systems, processes, procedures, etc. as possible. Milks that knowledge for all it's worth in order to make the most of his skills and perform at as high of a level as he can.

Known to skewer the workgroup rabble rousers when they start mouthing off beyond their level of knowledge.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Excellent advice. Instead of stressing out over things, just punch, in do your job, punch out and don't worry bout it.

Funny thing is, I read on here about SRA and DRA. I have no idea what those are as well. I know they have something to do with Roads, but since I have never done that, I am not familiar with the applications.
You obviously don't work for Fedex Express, and are a troll.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The silent assassin - similar to superstar. Learns as much as he possibly can about as many systems, processes, procedures, etc. as possible. Milks that knowledge for all it's worth in order to make the most of his skills and perform at as high of a level as he can.

Known to skewer the workgroup rabble rousers when they start mouthing off beyond their level of knowledge.
Wow.

Thanks for your insight Mr. MT3 Wannabe.

Express Courier

I'm the driver that sarcastically talks shyt to the slacker drivers knowing they are milking but are WAD. I'm fine with that, I just like to talk shyt to them about it. Most of them cry about being too heavy when they are not even heavy, that's why I talk shyt. It's just a ribbing, I don't care. As far as me I just go at a nice pace and if I need to be off early I will make it happen. You guys know what I mean, you can get going on a solid groove if need be. If not I just WAD and don't rush a thing. I'm not a fan of just milking though because I get kind of bored. That's just me though!

Oldfart

You obviously don't work for Fedex Express, and are a troll.
You are obviously mistaken. Cheer up. The sun will shine tomorrow and it will be a good day for worship and giving thanks. Doesn't look like you have to much to be thankful for though. Just like Dean Wormer said. Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life.

!Retired!

Nope. Even when we're at our stop count, if we get a bad address correction or a business unexpectedly closed, we're still required to do a reattempt. So, really, your stop count when leaving the station isn't your stop count. .
Apartment complexes and high rise office buildings are the same way. Roads will lump 3-4 stops, sometimes more, into 1 stop because it didn't pickup the different apartment numbers/suite numbers. It's such an easy fix, but common courier ideas fall on deaf ears.
Before they started stop count sheets, everyone did their job and then some.
As long as I've been with the company, there has always been a version of stop count sheets. It was just done in a different way. If a route is supposed to do 15 SPH, then 8 hours onroad = 120 stops. Now, DRA takes into account, though these can be changed by OSS, MPH on each street, school zones, time at each stop, etc.
SRA/DRA are programs designed for route optimization. Our version is Orion, aka "delivering for dummies".
Designed for yes, realistic is another story. I spoke to a UPS driver in my old area and Orion has him going into the same apartment complex 2-3 times. Is it true UPS 'requires' you to follow it at least 80%?
X2 My sentiments exactly. I actually dropped 401k from 20% to 6%. Getting to the point where I feel like I am about to start saving for my 3 kids inheritance and its time to put more in my pocket instead. The kids can live on anything that is left when I pass on. Unless we have another 2008 on Wall Street, I will be sitting pretty.
ANY financial advisor will tell you to save for your retirement FIRST and worry about, things like, kids college SECOND. You should only put into a 401K up to what the company matches and anything over that into a ROTH. But, as a parent, it goes against what your 'supposed' to do.

Oldfart

If you don't know what dra or sra is, then you don't work for Fedex or your a complete maroon. I'm thinking your a maroon.
Some might consider me a maroon, that is debatable. But in 20 months I be a retired maroon while you continue to cry and whine about a job you hate but that you continue to return to every day. What does that make you?

I am not sure why our station hasn't used Roads. I hear discussions about it but we just run our rts by common sense, which would eliminate many on here from being able to do it. I hear the SRA and DRA term and something about STATIC but have never seen anything put in place to use those methods. Same with the route sheets. I have never seen one or know how they work. We just work it out with the others in our loop and drop what we can to FO drivers and eat the lates. Unlike most on here, I don't spend my time interviewing people from other stations to compare notes on station operation. I have no idea what goes on elsewhere because I can't worry about other stations. I only focus what goes on in mine. I have been at the same station since the 70's so I haven't experienced how others operations work.

Oldfart

ANY financial advisor will tell you to save for your retirement FIRST and worry about, things like, kids college SECOND. You should only put into a 401K up to what the company matches and anything over that into a ROTH. But, as a parent, it goes against what your 'supposed' to do.

I tried dropping down to 6% on the 401k and dumped a bunch into a Roth for 2 years. I believe the Roth max is about 6k per year. Made a lot of untaxed income for my retirement years but I got hit with some serious income tax consequences for those 2 years. I went back up to 20% in the 401k for the last 5 or so and decided to worry about taxes later. Now that I am close to calling it quits and my wife retired last year, I decided to drop back to 6% and used the other 14% to splurge on a classic car to restore. With my 401k getting about 8%, it has recovered nicely from 2008 and once I retire, I will go very conservative and will live comfortably even it I get 3% return.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Ground courier/Manager

I do as little physical work as possible. Why? Because I have seen enough stupid sh|t in my time.
Never volunteer for anything, don't commit to a darn thing, never loan out any truck unless it's the one needing the most expensive repair, don't think any contractor is your buddy, and always steal the best driver any of those {ock's think they have.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I drive like i'm a single owner operator/ single route contractor. i can come in early one day 7am, and if there's an accident on my commute highway, i text the manager that i'll be stuck in traffic until as late as 930-10am. I keep my vehicle in decent operating condition so there will be no breakdowns while on route & keeps in touch with his fleet mechanic to get things fixed over the weekend.

absentee owner, manager that i rarely see because i know my area well enough... his only function is to look at my pile o boxes and makes sure i can fit em all in my 400 cu ft uhaul (then flexes the overflow to the neighboring p700s if need be)

with the garmin gps tech integration, i can drive stress free & just be a dumb truck driver. I can coordinate with the HD dispatch to re-zone my areas to make it beneficial to me (straight lining to have my last stop closest to home, instead of towards the hub)

i know i may need to have tire chains or cords if this winter is gonna be bad (never had to use them in the past few winters because it was kinda mild in my previous areas) but this rural area i'm at now may have me putting them on (or at least get all terrain treads on the drive wheels)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I drive like i'm a single owner operator/ single route contractor. i can come in early one day 7am, and if there's an accident on my commute highway, i text the manager that i'll be stuck in traffic until as late as 930-10am. I keep my vehicle in decent operating condition so there will be no breakdowns while on route & keeps in touch with his fleet mechanic to get things fixed over the weekend.

absentee owner, manager that i rarely see because i know my area well enough... his only function is to look at my pile o boxes and makes sure i can fit em all in my 400 cu ft uhaul (then flexes the overflow to the neighboring p700s if need be)

with the garmin gps tech integration, i can drive stress free & just be a dumb truck driver. I can coordinate with the HD dispatch to re-zone my areas to make it beneficial to me (straight lining to have my last stop closest to home, instead of towards the hub)

i know i may need to have tire chains or cords if this winter is gonna be bad (never had to use them in the past few winters because it was kinda mild in my previous areas) but this rural area i'm at now may have me putting them on (or at least get all terrain treads on the drive wheels)
Did you have an account on here before? Your writing is so familiar. Can't remember the guy's name who was on here before and left.