Which is better to work as, package handler for UPS or package handler for FedEx?

madwhmax

I was a driver helper at UPS this last peak season and tried really hard to be a package handler but they just don't offer me a position, I had an interview about a month or so ago and now their excuse is that there's not enough volume. In the meantime I applied at fedex for package handler and I might have an interview soon. The pay is better (13/h vs 9/h) than ups but I imagine the benefits are not as good.

My real question: how do the benefits compare? Which offers better tuition assistance? I'm most interested in tuition assistance and I know ups is good for this but I have no idea if fedex would let me choose any courses unrelated to work or even if they offer tuition assistance at all. Many thanks for any help as this would relieve some of my stress.

vantexan

In the meantime I applied at fedex for package handler and I might have an interview soon. The pay is better (13/h vs 9/h) than ups but I imagine the benefits are not as good.

If it's FedEx Express then yes they have tuition reimbursement. Unless things have changed you should be able to study what you want. I don't know about Ground handler benefits or how we compare with UPS. If you are only interested in a part-time job with tuition reimbursement, and not interested in going full-time down the road, then I'd go for the handler job that pays the most.

Last edited:

vantexan

The tuition reimbursement is a Whopping $1,500 a year..Whats that really good for?

It's good for $1500 a year that you don't have to come up with yourself while working part-time. Tuition is just part of the overall expense of going to college. You don't expect them to pay all or most of your way through college too do you?

Ichabod81

I'm in a very similar situation. I was offered a job today as a dock worker with UPS Supply Chain Solutions for 9.70/hr and was told I'd be working up to 12 hour shifts. I'm going for an interview tomorrow at Fed Ex, where I'd get 14.08/hr and work 5-6 hr shifts (I asked how many per week and he said about 30). I, too, am mostly interested in the tuition reimbursement. It wasn't mentioned at my interview at SCS like it was when I had an interview for a regular UPS package handler position. I want to make as much as possible, of course, but the tuition help is the linchpin for me. Where can I get this information, short of waiting for my processing appointment at UPS?

bartmuley

FedEx tuition isn't 1,500. I haven't looked in years, but a few years back it was around 2,500, and at the time UPS was around 3,000 per year if I remember right.

I've worked for both UPS and FedEx and in my experience, FedEx is much better. Last time I checked they were starting out PT workers at UPS at around 8.50 someone said maybe they've raised it to $9, FedEx starts at 12.25.

I was offered a FT position at FedEx after 1 year, at UPS I was told the average wait for a FT position was around 7 years. And the UP I worked at (81st St Indianapolis) was dark and dirty as hell. They worked me twice as hard as FedEx and I made much less.

If you're thinking of a career, UPS might be the way to go, because from what I gather they do make more eventually, but starting out they screw you.

ianianian

FedEx tuition isn't 1,500. I haven't looked in years, but a few years back it was around 2,500, and at the time UPS was around 3,000 per year if I remember right.

I've worked for both UPS and FedEx and in my experience, FedEx is much better. Last time I checked they were starting out PT workers at UPS at around 8.50 someone said maybe they've raised it to $9, FedEx starts at 12.25.

I was offered a FT position at FedEx after 1 year, at UPS I was told the average wait for a FT position was around 7 years. And the UP I worked at (81st St Indianapolis) was dark and dirty as hell. They worked me twice as hard as FedEx and I made much less.

If you're thinking of a career, UPS might be the way to go, because from what I gather they do make more eventually, but starting out they screw you.

FedEx Ground Tuition assistance is $1,500/year and every shift starts at $11/hr, except for the midnight shift, which starts at $11.50/hr.

This is how it is at the Harrisburg hub. It may differ depending on where you work.

bartmuley

He didn't say anything about Ground that I saw, maybe I missed it. I assumed he was talking about FedEx Express. He said the pay for the FedEx position was 13 bucks I believe.

It does depend on where you go though, the 16th St UPS hub here in Indy doesn't offer tuition reimbursement at all, or didn't when I took a tour there a few years back.

Again, just going from personal experience, FedEx was far superior to UPS. The work was about the same, except UPS worked me harder, the benefits were about the same, they cost about the same (12 bucks a week at FedEX and union dues were about 9-10 bucks a week at UPS).

The main difference was pay, and UPS was paying 8.50 an hour when FedEx was paying 10.85. And the working conditions are far superior at FedEx. I've only worked at the Indy Hub and the 81st UPS though.