Which is better to work as, package handler for UPS or package handler for FedEx?

Ichabod81

Here's my specific situation:
I got a job at SCS as a full-time dock worker. I've been doing that for a couple of weeks now and it's fine. I'm actually kind of enjoying it. Between that and my dog, though, I have no free time. I get 10.20 currently but I'll be promoted to W2 in 90 days and I'll get a little more with that I think. The warehouse is nice and temperature controlled (lucky. It's a health care account).

Fed Ex Freight called this morning and apparently decided they want to hire me after all. It's part-time, only working 5 or 6 hours a day, (but the shift it the worst: 5 pm to 10 or 11) loading & unloading trucks (forklift). Outdoors, obviously, but they said I'd start at $14! It's hard to turn down, but for some reason I'm much more comfortable staying brown.

The specific numbers of the tuition assistance don't worry so much, but I worry how I would even have time to go to school working full-time at UPS? How does that work? Is there such a thing as part-time at UPS? I keep hearing that they're always just so busy. Does anyone know how long I'd have to work at one or the other to be eligible? Are there restrictions on what you can study? I've been debating with myself all day.

SmithBarney

klolx yup, and you'll stay at 10/hr for a long time... but at UPS you will get real raises, and benefits that you don't have to pay for..
but if its just a job to do during college etc, and not a Career choice, then yes take the $$ and run.

HomeDelivery

in the HD terminal i was working at, they were getting $11.xx per hour. Plus they have some nice benefits to boot!

with Ground/ HD drivers of these small LLC / Corps instead of being under FedEx Corp, don't have that same benefit-package...

maybe it's time to let drivers in on the benefits (like reduced cellphone plans, etc...)

UPSSOCKS

klolx yup, and you'll stay at 10/hr for a long time... but at UPS you will get real raises, and benefits that you don't have to pay for..
but if its just a job to do during college etc, and not a Career choice, then yes take the $$ and run.

Yeah at UPS you get raises and as you get raises the union takes more and more out of your paycheck

WhatCrass

UPS - ****ty starting pay, pushed harder to work

- FULL health benefits after initiation fee to the union (totally worth the cost), job security, guaranteed raises, time and a half after five hours, paid vacation and time off. But the main point why everyone works there; full-time driving job in 4-6 years that pays around $20/hr WITH a pension.

FedEx - Better starting pay, no chance for full-time work, expensive health benefits, and no breaks during your shift.

SmithBarney

Yeah at UPS you get raises and as you get raises the union takes more and more out of your paycheck

UPSSOCKS, The Teamsters took less from me than FedEx does with its "self funded" benefit program. I'd much rather pay the teamster than pay the 400-500 month for health insurance.

SmithBarney

in the HD terminal i was working at, they were getting $11.xx per hour. Plus they have some nice benefits to boot!

with Ground/ HD drivers of these small LLC / Corps instead of being under FedEx Corp, don't have that same benefit-package...

maybe it's time to let drivers in on the benefits (like reduced cellphone plans, etc...)

Home: You should be able to get the Verizon Discount easily, just show up to a store with your FedEx ID(stay in uniform) and a Paycheck hope it says FedEx(something) on it. Don't worry about FedEx giving you the discounts, go find them most companies just require an ID. I get hotel discounts all the time
when I travel, just show them the ID at the counter, and they seem to give good discounts

LTFedExer

full-time driving job in 4-6 years that pays around $20/hr WITH a pension.
Could be longer............much longer. At barely above minimum wage, I wouldn't last in this house a year. Then again, I would qualify for government assistance since I'd be below the poverty line.
FedEx-Better starting pay
For a driver.....false. For a handler......true.
FedEx-no chance for full-time work
False. It's all by seniority.
FedEx-expensive health benefits
True.
FedEx-no breaks during your shift.
False. I take a break EVERYDAY.

RedThunder

For a college student w/tuition assistance Fed Ex seems a clear winner. Although in 3-months, at UPS, you will be around $10.50 an hour. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

For a full-time career UPS is the clear winner. Company funded pension, my plan is $5900 per month at 59 with 35 years. 401k, sadly no match. Free company funded healthcare. (cost approx $240 per week). 7 weeks paid vacation,8 next year. Protection of union contract. Union dues are 2.5 your wage per month. approx $80. Typical driver makes 70K-110K per year after 3 years (2 when I started). I've got 24 years in and made 95K working 4 days a week. I didn't appreciate it like I should when I was younger, but in today's economic climate that's a damn good job. It can be tough but it is worth it.