White coat syndrome and the DOT physical

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Drink plenty of fluid the night before and the morning of your physical. The more hydrated you are, the lower your blood pressure.

Make sure that the fluid is not coffee. I made the mistake of drinking 2 cups the morning of my physical and my BP was just below the "not qualified" mark. Thankfully they let me retake it at the end of the physical and it was well within the acceptable range.

upschuck

When I was showing high BP, they made comments that if it were not down by the end of the physical, that I could go to my doctor and just give them a note from them what it was at that time and they would sign off. Never had to do that, they would try anything to pass me.

bbsam

Staff member
Sometimes there's nothing you can do. I spent the past 30 years with pre-hypertension and now it's pretty well into stage one. Much of it is just hereditary. Thankfully it's one of the easiest treated diseases.

Johney

When I was showing high BP, they made comments that if it were not down by the end of the physical, that I could go to my doctor and just give them a note from them what it was at that time and they would sign off. Never had to do that, they would try anything to pass me.
Just the opposite here. It's almost Hilarius how you can go into the Dr. here with your arm hanging on by a thread(maybe not that bad but you get the point) from a work related injury and you're ok too work, but be tad over the numbers on your BP and they shut you down. We do our W/C and DOT at the same place.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have my DOT Wednesday morning. Yes, I am on vacation, but it is much easier for me to get it done while on vaca. We don't get paid for it anyway so what difference does it make?

Indecisi0n

images.jpeg

Packmule

I have my DOT Wednesday morning. Yes, I am on vacation, but it is much easier for me to get it done while on vaca. We don't get paid for it anyway so what difference does it make?
I now should be set up next time to do it at start of a two week vaca. Like you, I'm much calmer and can get to my doc if there is a problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I now should be set up next time to do it at start of a two week vaca. Like you, I'm much calmer and can get to my doc if there is a problem.

I just hate feeling rushed. We don't start until 9:40 but even with an 8 am appt time it is always cutting it too close for me to get to work on time.

rod

Retired 22 years

I got paid for every physical I took. If its scheduled during your normal working hours they pay---or is that something else that you all lost in the last contract.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Be careful with the "rubbin out" option. One of the things checked in the urine test is protein. One of our male drivers found out the hard way and ended up being sent to a urologist for prostate work.