White tractors?

raceanoncr

Thats because non-Sleeper drivers rely too much on the rear window instead of their mirrors (and can't adjust to the longer wheelbase).

Ya gotta work on those skills son!

Before I came to UPS over 30 yrs ago, I drove stuff with no back window. Got into feeders here but never could get the "turn around and look thru the window to hookup" thing. Got into sleepers and was "back home". Very comfortable backing like you're supposed to, not "The UPS Way". Got back in "brown" my last couple yrs. Had riders ding me on why I use mirrors to hook when backing and all the pitfalls in doing so. Quietly would have them refer to the sheet they have in their hand that shows my XX years of safe driving, WITH NO BACKING INCIDENTS...EVER!

Sorry, I'm kinda arrogant when it comes to that.

Oh, another case reminds me of "The UPS Way". I've mentioned this before on this forum but I still laugh about it. A new driver was accompanied by the supe when applying for his CDL. The examiner was close behind the driver, with the supe breathing down his neck. After the usual under-hood pre-trip, the driver started to back up and kick the tires. The examiner said, "Well, you're done. Might as well try again at next appt." Supe came unglued. Why? "You don't KICK the tires, you thump them with a heavy object, such as a hammer.", said such examiner. Of course, in his all-knowing wisdom, the supe retorts, "Well, THIS IS THE UPS WAY". The examiner declares, "I don't care WHICH way you're gonna call it, he flunks!"

raceanoncr

I know. I sometimes have the "privilege" of putting sets together for them. I especially like when they try and tell you how to do your job. I love taking orders from a guy in a cowboy hat, dago t, and sandals with socks. "Oopsy, I didn`t mean to get grease on your hoses" sorry.

Listen, PAL, it's not a "cowboy hat"! It's a STETSON! AND, don't you think the black socks go good with the brown sandals?

hypocrisy

Banned
Before I came to UPS over 30 yrs ago, I drove stuff with no back window. Got into feeders here but never could get the "turn around and look thru the window to hookup" thing. Got into sleepers and was "back home". Very comfortable backing like you're supposed to, not "The UPS Way". Got back in "brown" my last couple yrs. Had riders ding me on why I use mirrors to hook when backing and all the pitfalls in doing so. Quietly would have them refer to the sheet they have in their hand that shows my XX years of safe driving, WITH NO BACKING INCIDENTS...EVER!

Sorry, I'm kinda arrogant when it comes to that.

Oh, another case reminds me of "The UPS Way". I've mentioned this before on this forum but I still laugh about it. A new driver was accompanied by the supe when applying for his CDL. The examiner was close behind the driver, with the supe breathing down his neck. After the usual under-hood pre-trip, the driver started to back up and kick the tires. The examiner said, "Well, you're done. Might as well try again at next appt." Supe came unglued. Why? "You don't KICK the tires, you thump them with a heavy object, such as a hammer.", said such examiner. Of course, in his all-knowing wisdom, the supe retorts, "Well, THIS IS THE UPS WAY". The examiner declares, "I don't care WHICH way you're gonna call it, he flunks!"

Yes they are in the process of getting an education from the U.S. DOT about the "UPS Way". You saw a little of that with what just happened in New York. Arrogance is the worst evil of all.

MobileBA

You didn't see that pictured "sleeper tractor" pulling three, that my friend would be over length in Oregon! You may get away pulling that sleeper rig with three in Idaho and Utah. Wyoming and Montana you cannot pull three 28 footers. (Wind). I know a little I drove multi-pole sleeper runs.

mikeups1978

I thought sleepers couldn't hook up a set because they have to be on the road right away. I'd never seen a sleeper back a trailer into a bay at least not in my building.

robot

Has A Large Member
Sometimes the hub they're from will be decalled(sp?) on the side near the door above the gas tank.

Well the ones from my hub are.

I thought sleepers couldn't hook up a set because they have to be on the road right away. I'd never seen a sleeper back a trailer into a bay at least not in my building.

It`s because they`re paid mileage. If they have to hool sets on their own they get hourly pay till they outgate.

yeldarb

Even though triples might be allowed in a certain state, they never pulled 3 from our hub, since they would be overlength in many states, and they keep driving through without time to drop.