Whiteboard ad campaign a failure

rod

Retired 22 years
It was a great commercial- too bad the Dell Dude liked his weed a little too much:happy-very: wonder what he's up to now days?

worldwide

over9five posted "Most normal blue collar people hate them, too. But they say they are a great success with the white collar people who actually make the decision on what company to use for their shipping."

Actually, the ads and website have won awards specifically becuase they reach out to MORE than one group.

From one of the links I posted:
"Because the campaign targeted several audiences including executives, small business people, office managers, shipping managers, and consumers with shipping needs, it was essential to determine user discovery patterns to intuitively guide users through the site by business challenge or product need, aligning the appropriate products to the shipping/business challenge."

There are ads for every group that could ship a package so they reach almost all audiences. Check out the whiteboard site to see all of them...it's not just the TV ads that are part of the program.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Maybe UPS was using Dale Jarrett for their "funny" commercials.
Besides "race the truck", I didn't laugh at many of them

With him leaving, maybe they'll have some fresher ideas for us blue collar folk

SmithBarney

See UPS should have done it and called it Brownboard, have this guy or any guy drawing
on a brown board, with a white marker.. and then at the end of the commercial it should
have zoomed out and all the while he was drawing on a package car... and say
something snappy like "all with one company"
"yeah we do that" or whatever.

OK pay me a million for my idea.. and I'll leave you all alone.. :)

cylvrbond

I have heard some great feedback here. Thank you all! If it's working than why have 11 drvers gone back to the hub. Why are we as drivers being told WE need to grow the business. Why are so many feeder drivers back doin their routes. And one thing I haven't ggotten any feedback on is why we are keeping our 100 year anniversary a secret from the public.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Sorry, I think the guy is OK, but he doesnt do a good representation of the company.
I like the longer hair, but he has no sense of urgency, and his last whiteboard commercial really sucked.
JMHO

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
I am a package driver at Aliso Viejo CA. I am embarassed by our recent whiteboard ad campaign. A guy drawing stick figures is an insult to our customers. How did we miss informing the public about our 100 year anniversary. I have been waving at the UPS driver since I was a child in Chicago 40 years ago. Today I get waved at by young and old alike, why, because we've been around so long and are trusted in the community. Why not an ad campaign reflecting just that. FedEx has some great ads lately, even spending big bucks on special effects. WE,VE GOT A GUY DRAWING STICK FIGURES!!!!! Who is in charge of advertising for UPS. I know I can do a much better job! Does anyone else see this travesty?

It's probably the same people who designed PAS/EDD:lol::lol::thumbup1:

rocket man

That is why we are drivers and not ad executives. It seems to me that this ad is not geared toward mom, pop, and little joey waving at the UPS driver, nor to the UPS driver. They are targeting a 24-38 year-old entrepreneur who is escaping corporate America and wants nothing to do with the tradition you speak of. This generation lives by the creedo - 'What's in it for me?' They are non-establishment and non-traditional. They will be the ones selling everything to our customers from the internet and increasing our business threefold. We may not like the ad, but those that are targeted in the ad probably 'get it.' - mrs rocketman

The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of mr. rocketman :)