Who are the women drivers???

I was unaware that UPS had a medical doctor working as a Package Driver...err..I mean Service Provider.

Do you write prescriptions in addition to giving medical advice?
I'd be willing to bet there are alot of things you are not aware of. That's OK, no one knows everything. Besides I wasn't giving medical advice I was offering a suggestion based on common sense and experience.
Tell ya what if you doubt what I said about the angle of the leg and the stress on the knee ask any orthopedic doctor.Same with the stress on the shoulder.

WyoBrown

where you out of wyo? I have a good friend that lives in Cheyenne.
Not Cheyenne but maybe one day I'll fun across your friend as we seem to borrow lots of drivers from other centers these days.

As some of you mentioned already, I wouldnt trade back to a desk job either. Yes, I come home every night beat and dirty but nothing that a long hot bath and a glass of wine can't cure! Is that a girl thing? :happy2:

Upslady20

I ingest a ton of motrin daily.. I hope with the amount of fluids I drink that my liver will not suffer. I have learned to finally use the cart more often instead of compressing my spine by lugging the heavy boxes a long distance. I was too lazy before to get it out and of course would ask myself why I was carrying the horrid package.. Now realize my body appreciates the cart more and more....I would die with I was back in the old p 800 or 1000's... my hips and knees would give out for sure.. I love the lower step...

helenofcalifornia

The lower step is waayyyyy better, but, if you have had knee surgery (me-3x) it's still a touch too high. I know, I know, sour grapes. I am happy with any accommodation that UPS makes. (Even though they never will admit why they make the ergonomic changes.)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I appreciate the lowered step so much. I never knew how the 5'2 guys or gals did it, most of them didnt for long. Im 5'10 and shrinking and it was tough for me. Or how they really got the stuff off the back shelves?

WyoBrown

The lower step is waayyyyy better, but, if you have had knee surgery (me-3x) it's still a touch too high. I know, I know, sour grapes. I am happy with any accommodation that UPS makes. (Even though they never will admit why they make the ergonomic changes.)
Is this lower step you speak of, an add on or standard? I drive a 1000 and Im 5' 8 but there are times that I wish that first step into the truck was lower.

Three knee surgeries??? All work related? I'll stop whining about my slightly broken leg then! By the way, since I have another month of recovery ahead, does anyone have some good suggestions of how to stay in shape for the day I get to go back to work? I feel like Im going to jump out of my skin here...I miss the activity of work! Sick huh?

Well, I don't know about keeping active or in shape with a broken leg, sorry. Have you taken a temporary withdrawal card from the union? If not do that TODAY! get those dues stopped til you return to work. Even the Union suggests that be done.

WyoBrown

Well, I don't know about keeping active or in shape with a broken leg, sorry. Have you taken a temporary withdrawal card from the union? If not do that TODAY! get those dues stopped til you return to work. Even the Union suggests that be done.
Yes, union dues on hold. What a roller coaster. I was approved for light duty, lasted 3 days. Now out on WC for the duration. Slight fracture, in a walking cast. Down time isnt that much fun in a cast. :dissapointed:

Yes, union dues on hold. What a roller coaster. I was approved for light duty, lasted 3 days. Now out on WC for the duration. Slight fracture, in a walking cast. Down time isnt that much fun in a cast. :dissapointed:
I do understand that, I had 6 months following shoulder surgery.

WyoBrown

I do understand that, I had 6 months following shoulder surgery.
Ouch, thats a long time. Nature of the biz I guess...most drivers that I know have had multiple surgeries/accidents with down time. Just grateful I didnt have do crutches. I started going back to the gym, upper body workouts and a stint on the recumbant bike. That kind of exercise is just so boring!

Ouch, thats a long time. Nature of the biz I guess...most drivers that I know have had multiple surgeries/accidents with down time. Just grateful I didnt have do crutches. I started going back to the gym, upper body workouts and a stint on the recumbant bike. That kind of exercise is just so boring!
You'll just have to find a way to spice it up, go al natural.LOL.

sano

By the way, since I have another month of recovery ahead, does anyone have some good suggestions of how to stay in shape for the day I get to go back to work? I feel like Im going to jump out of my skin here...I miss the activity of work! Sick huh?

Is the cast removable?
Do you have access to a pool?
I find it interesting how quickly pro athletes come back after some pretty major injuries. I think one of the things they do is jog in a pool (they actually have underwater treadmills)
I guess the idea is that you can keep muscle tone, even in the broken leg.
Keep in mind that free advice is usually worth what you pay for it.:happy2:

WyoBrown

Is the cast removable?
Do you have access to a pool?
I find it interesting how quickly pro athletes come back after some pretty major injuries. I think one of the things they do is jog in a pool (they actually have underwater treadmills)
I guess the idea is that you can keep muscle tone, even in the broken leg.
Keep in mind that free advice is usually worth what you pay for it.:happy2:
Its a hard cast for another week or two and then I get a boot that I can remove...I can't wait for that. The pool is a great idea though!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
i'm not a medical doctor nor do pretend to be one but be careful of popping all the motrin , i was poppin em like m&ms for 12 yrs on pkg car and my dr. thinks it helped cause acid reflux, its like heart burn and eats away ar your stomache, ask your dr. on next visit!!!!:biting:

WyoBrown

i'm not a medical doctor nor do pretend to be one but be careful of popping all the motrin , i was poppin em like m&ms for 12 yrs on pkg car and my dr. thinks it helped cause acid reflux, its like heart burn and eats away ar your stomache, ask your dr. on next visit!!!!:biting:
Ditto: Motrin or anything like it needs to be used in moderation. I know that if I stretch in the morning and again at night, I ache less and generally feel better. If I have to take something, I usually wait until just before bedtime so I can get a "restorative" nights sleep.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I appreciate the lowered step so much. I never knew how the 5'2 guys or gals did it, most of them didnt for long. Im 5'10 and shrinking and it was tough for me. Or how they really got the stuff off the back shelves?

Now that I'm older and back in an old 800, I've learned to back out and go down like on a ladder, it helps. As for getting back in, that's another story, more or less climb, I put down the diad and use both hands on the sides of the door to help pull myself in (and they wonder why it takes me longer) My knees are still starting to have problems, I know it's the step because I had always commented that I was one of two drivers in my center here longer than 15 years who had not had knee surgery.

One big complaint is no room in the cab, it's a joke trying to get those freight packages we now deliver out of there.

It really is almostimpossible to get packages off the top shelves in the back, sometimes I have to step up on the bottom shelf to reach. Now..how safe is that?

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Oh, as far as my shoulder, it took a beating years ago, I had a pick up at a Kelty manufacturing facility and loaded 100-200 boxes of sleeping bags and tents from the ground into a feeder trailer everday. It hasn't bothered me much for quite a few years until I ended up with this old 800 with no power steering, and my left elbow is having issues now too I believe for the same reason.

Our mechanic told me our center has two p750s sitting waiting for license and registration to be delivered and I'm hoping to get one as I am driving one of the cars to be replaced. However it's been 2 months and we haven't seen them yet. That's why I'm not raising too much of a stink about this car, if they put me in something else, I'll have less of a chance to get a new one.