Who else hates Amazon.com?

Overpaid Union Thug

Am I just horribly naïve to think that Amazon will have a hard time dumping us? The 'logistics" alone for them to start their own national delivery service will be the straw that breaks their back.

And if they decide to divert volume to regional or local carriers how long will that last before they bring that volume back to brown? UPS has the biggest infrastructure in the biz and I find it hard to fathom them being able to drop us. I will call their bluff. But who am I I'm just a stupid truck driver.

Cheers

Sent using BrownCafe App

Amazon would have to establish their own hub system throughout the country in order to adequetly service all of the areas we do now. If they used their current warehouses as hubs they would fall well short of what they would actually need to take on all of the work that they currently divide out to UPS, FedEx, etc.. They would be spread out too thin. Much like FedEx Ground is now but much, much, much worse. They wouldn't need one hub/warehouse and extended centers for all of ours but pretty close. It took UPS over half a century to put the current "wheel and spoke" hub system in place. Part of that process included buying up parcel delivery companies that were already in place. Even if Amazon did that do supplement the warehouses they currently have they would still fall well short of what they need. Using their own full-time delivery drivers, or even part-time, wouldn't be cost efficient with a network that is spread out that much.

In short..... it would cost a ridiculous amount of money (which they don't have) for Amazon to add the additional facilities, vehicles, and employees needed to match what UPS/FedEx does. I like the idea of UPS buying them but I think that would be a little more complicated than we think. UPS needs to be aggressive in keeping as much Amazon volume as we can. The jobs lost at UPS would be staggering and this would affect stock price negatively and nothing lights a fire under corporate UPS's collective asses faster than the threat of a drastic drop in their precious stock holders' stock price. Maybe this, and only this, is keeping our otherwise incompetent sales force on their toes.

Amazon would have to establish their own hub system throughout the country in order to adequetly service all of the areas we do now. If they used their current warehouses as hubs they would fall well short of what they would actually need to take on all of the work that they currently divide out to UPS, FedEx, etc.. They would be spread out too thin. Much like FedEx Ground is now but much, much, much worse. They wouldn't need one hub/warehouse and extended centers for all of ours but pretty close. It took UPS over half a century to put the current "wheel and spoke" hub system in place. Part of that process included buying up parcel delivery companies that were already in place. Even if Amazon did that do supplement the warehouses they currently have they would still fall well short of what they need. Using their own full-time delivery drivers, or even part-time, wouldn't be cost efficient with a network that is spread out that much.

In short..... it would cost a ridiculous amount of money (which they don't have) for Amazon to add the additional facilities, vehicles, and employees needed to match what UPS/FedEx does. I like the idea of UPS buying them but I think that would be a little more complicated than we think. UPS needs to be aggressive in keeping as much Amazon volume as we can. The jobs lost at UPS would be staggering and this would affect stock price negatively and nothing lights a fire under corporate UPS's collective asses faster than the threat of a drastic drop in their precious stock holders' stock price. Maybe this, and only this, is keeping our otherwise incompetent sales force on their toes.
UPS couldnt afford to buy Amazon. UPS is worth about 90 billion....Amazon 148 billion!

Overpaid Union Thug

True. The thing is that UPS profits (heavily) while simultaneously investing in technology and even some expansion. Amazon doesn't show a profit BECAUSE they invest in technology and expansion. Imagine if Amazon really attempted to deliver their own stuff. Disaster.

oldngray

nowhere special
Amazon is only worth anything as long as investors have confidence in them. They have few real material assets unlike UPS which owns a lot of property and vehicles.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Somewhat relevant but I just had an order from Amazon come through the USPS, whereas I had never gotten a shipment from them that wasn't handled by UPS. The times, they may be a-changin.

oldngray

nowhere special
Somewhat relevant but I just had an order from Amazon come through the USPS, whereas I had never gotten a shipment from them that wasn't handled by UPS. The times, they may be a-changin.

Amazon is just a brand name that unites a vast number of shippers and they use every company available to deliver. I have seen FedEx, UPS, USPS, plus the little local companies delivering to my house.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've heard of waxing the dolphin. Waxing the slide is a new one.
Lol i believe the bottle label calls it Metal friction lubricant...we call it slide wax. Keeps the packages from sticking as they come off the belt and down the slides. We don't have sheperd's hooks available anymore, so if the packages get hung up, you gotta climb up the slide 17 times a day...it's a PITA and rough on the knees.

oldngray

nowhere special
Lol i believe the bottle label calls it Metal friction lubricant...we call it slide wax. Keeps the packages from sticking as they come off the belt and down the slides. We don't have sheperd's hooks available anymore, so if the packages get hung up, you gotta climb up the slide 17 times a day...it's a PITA and rough on the knees.
Westlube_Lubricant.jpg