Who is a fault when a dog is run over by accident yet not killed?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hit a dog on the street? Not your fault.

Hit a dog in a driveway? Your fault.
That all depends on the state and/or local ordnances. Some states/counties require you to have control over your dog, even on your own property.

FedEx might pay it though just because they don't want the negative publicity. Or in this case force the contractor to pay it.

dmac1

If it was a rural area w/long drive, the customer invited you onto the property to deliver the package. If you were bit on their property, it would be their fault. I've never lived anywhere that allowed dogs to roam at will, including the middle of nowhere in several states. I do know that some dogs HATE the sound of tires on gravel.

bacha29

If he was following past practice and was delivering according to standard industry practices and there was no signage up telling him not to park in the driveway I think he's home clear. The problem with dogs bites is not as much the wound but the dog's bacteria laden saliva. One of the best on site treatments for a dog bite is none other than good old fashion windshield washer fluid. All it is is alcohol.

dex 84

I was under the impression that it's a big "no no" to be in someone's driveway for any reason at any time.

Good luck applying that policy across the board. I deliver to some driveways that are 5+ minutes from the road in the truck. No practical way to provide door to door service in every location without driving down a few driveways...

BigTex61

I had a similar incident years ago, only the driveway was half mile long in an extended area. I seen the dog chasing me as I pulled away. All of a sudden felt a large bump, stopped the truck, the dog was history. The owners were upset but understood. I still reported it and it was ruled non preventable.

Southeast Hoss

This was unpreventable as well as I backed up slowly , the dogs jaw was biting the tire and got hung in tire I assume and crushed his jaw. Sounded like a coke can being ran over.

Slick silver

Those situation will always suck, my other way around it, is to always have a dog treat and throw it as far away from the truck so that the dog goes another direction

SmithBarney

Those situation will always suck, my other way around it, is to always have a dog treat and throw it as far away from the truck so that the dog goes another direction
I stopped feeding dogs a long time ago, because many dogs come to expect the treats, and one day I didn't have them and two dogs started fighting(they were excited) it was an ugly sight and could have ended up worse. Lots of dogs expect a treat and come running up to the trucks, we had a driver have a dog run out to the truck in the snow and the dog slid right under the wheels, crunch. Driver said the dog "always runs out when I show up waiting for a treat" this driver blamed himself, because he knew the dog was coming for his "treat"
I will say blue heelers are notorious for trying to eat tires...

MAKAVELI

I stopped feeding dogs a long time ago, because many dogs come to expect the treats, and one day I didn't have them and two dogs started fighting(they were excited) it was an ugly sight and could have ended up worse. Lots of dogs expect a treat and come running up to the trucks, we had a driver have a dog run out to the truck in the snow and the dog slid right under the wheels, crunch. Driver said the dog "always runs out when I show up waiting for a treat" this driver blamed himself, because he knew the dog was coming for his "treat"
I will say blue heelers are notorious for trying to eat tires...
They come running out no matter what. Regardless if you give them treats or not. Dogs are just like people in that you really can't predict behavior from one dog to the next. Treats do help distract dogs so you can do your job. You develop a relationship with them as you do with your customers but never trust them 100% , just like your customers and you'll be OK 99% of the time.

Kounter Klockwize

Who is a fault when a dog is run over by accident yet not killed in the driveway? 2 blue heelers barking and snapping at the tire and the jaw gets crushed but dog is not killed. Shouldn't the dog be tied up? Couldn't get out of the truck b/c the 2 dogs were going to bite- customer came to van and while backing up- this happened. Any info will help-
your fine do not worry. Leash law

SmithBarney

They come running out no matter what. Regardless if you give them treats or not. Dogs are just like people in that you really can't predict behavior from one dog to the next. Treats do help distract dogs so you can do your job. You develop a relationship with them as you do with your customers but never trust them 100% , just like your customers and you'll be OK 99% of the time.

Remember Pavlov's experiment? ring bell, feed dog...ring bell, feed dog...ring bell, feed dog...ring bell, feed dog...
Ring bell, DONT FEED dog, dog expects treat and salivates and wants that treat, now add another dog to the mix. While you can't predict dogs, if you've trained them one way by feeding them.

As for the dead dog... who knows you are Ground so you will probably keep your job, I might not visit that customer for a while...

MAKAVELI

Remember Pavlov's experiment? ring bell, feed dog...ring bell, feed dog...ring bell, feed dog...ring bell, feed dog...
Ring bell, DONT FEED dog, dog expects treat and salivates and wants that treat, now add another dog to the mix. While you can't predict dogs, if you've trained them one way by feeding them.

As for the dead dog... who knows you are Ground so you will probably keep your job, I might not visit that customer for a while...
I just know what has worked for me. I feel for swings who have no clue as what to expect on different routes.

fatboy33

I had almost the same thing happen to me. It was a non preventable.. Animals are considered out of your control. Just be sure to make a point that you tried to avoid them, but they are unpredictable.
"out of your control"? I know of couriers which were handed preventables. The excuse used by management was that the bites happened on the customers property. Courier was at fault for not making sure the area was free of 20 MPH running dogs. After those rules, if we thought there may be a dog in the yard, we'd place the package over the fence. Now with the no air policy, we don't leave the package if we think there "May" be a dog on property. Door tag the fence and write, " may have dog.." and go. Either the customer comes to pu the package at the station or he/she writes " no dog.." on the door tag the next day. Problem solved.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
"out of your control"? I know of couriers which were handed preventables. The excuse used by management was that the bites happened on the customers property. Courier was at fault for not making sure the area was free of 20 MPH running dogs

You have to be smart about it. I know one courier who was bitten in his calf walking back to his truck by a dog that he knew. The dog always ran all over the yard and never bothered him or acted aggressive. On that one day, he heard the dog running up behind him and didn't give it a second thought until he was bitten. That's what his written explanation of the incident said, and he was tagged with a preventable.

The smart way to handle that? "I did not see any dog or signs of a dog when I approached the property, when I walked to the front door to make the delivery, or when I walked back to my truck. The dog came up behind me and bit me." Makes a world of difference.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You have to be smart about it. I know one courier who was bitten in his calf walking back to his truck by a dog that he knew. The dog always ran all over the yard and never bothered him or acted aggressive. On that one day, he heard the dog running up behind him and didn't give it a second thought until he was bitten. That's what his written explanation of the incident said, and he was tagged with a preventable.

The smart way to handle that? "I did not see any dog or signs of a dog when I approached the property, when I walked to the front door to make the delivery, or when I walked back to my truck. The dog came up behind me and bit me." Makes a world of difference.
While I see the difference in both, no one should ever get charged with a preventable for being bitten by a dog.

59 Dano

While I see the difference in both, no one should ever get charged with a preventable for being bitten by a dog.

I don't disagree, but never underestimate the value of a good lie that can't be disputed in defense against a dubious policy that serves an indeterminate purpose.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I don't disagree, but never underestimate the value of a good lie that can't be disputed in defense against a dubious policy that serves an indeterminate purpose.
True. I really, really hate the idea of lying because I don't feel like I should have to, and my integrity is very important to me, but I've been looking at it differently when it comes to FedEx.

Last edited:

59 Dano

True. I really, really hate the idea of lying because I don't feel like I should have to, and my integrity is very important to me, but I've been looking at it differently when it comes to FedEx.

Same here, but you aren't stealing anything or depriving someone else of something or anything like that. You aren't lying about someone else. At the very, very worst, someone will check one box on a piece of paper instead of the other box on that same piece of paper, which will promptly be filed and forgotten.

Might as well roll with it and avoid the knock-down, drag-out over whether it was preventable.