Who is more overpaid - UPS Driver or CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This was inspired by the "ups is so poor" thread.

The average driver total compensation for the UPS Package driver is around $105,000 per year (assuming they are not laid off).
The expected total compensation for Scott Davis is around $4,000,000.

Which compensation is above average for that type of job?

Dustyroads

Hoax, you are an old IE number cruncher. Wouldn't it only be a fair analysis if you took each individual and their performance in their job, and compared it to the outcomes or product that they produce, and then compare that to the compensation.

We could only accurately decide who is more OVERpaid if we analyze exactly what each job does, what each job produces for the company, and how much those outcomes cost the company.

With a driver, it may be pretty easy to measure those outcomes, I think you do that every day. With Mr. Davis, however, it may be more difficult as I'm not sure that the IE department has ever done a time study on his job.

Personally, I want all drivers, part timers, managers and CEOs of my company to all be well compensated. As for OVERcompensation, I think that may be a lot of speculation.

Last edited:

fethrs

Kind of hard to compare these jobs as they are completely different, but have at it, i'd like to see other folks replies.

On another topic, I think the point of the "ups is so poor" thread was an outlet for the op to whine about not getting free food. Waaahhhh!

P

pickup

This was inspired by the "ups is so poor" thread.

The average driver total compensation for the UPS Package driver is around $105,000 per year (assuming they are not laid off).
The expected total compensation for Scott Davis is around $4,000,000.

Which compensation is above average for that type of job?

You made your point , hoaxster. Obviously, the ups driver's compensation is above average. Riddle me this: who has a golden parachute if he gets canned? Scott Davis or the ups driver?

Solidarity413

Hoax didn't you say you'd stop making these inflaming threads, after the union ripping pt-timers off thread? Just wondering 'cause I'm not even a driver and I'm offended deeply by this, but instead of posting and having it all edited figured I'd post this first.

tieguy

Banned
Hoax didn't you say you'd stop making these inflaming threads, after the union ripping pt-timers off thread? Just wondering 'cause I'm not even a driver and I'm offended deeply by this, but instead of posting and having it all edited figured I'd post this first.

I don't see the flame. I think each has their value.

Solidarity413

I don't see the flame. I think each has their value.

Tie, I would be MORE then shocked if anyone on here said you were a good source of information when it came to seeing both sides. So with all due respect, I don't value your opinion too much.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, I would be MORE then shocked if anyone on here said you were a good source of information when it came to seeing both sides. So with all due respect, I don't value your opinion too much.

And yet I'm supposed to value your opinion. You had the option of explaining why you found Hoaxsters post offensive instead you decided to flame me.

If you actually paid attention to the dialogue here you would know that Hoax and I often go toe to toe on different issues. With that in mind this may be one of the few posts of his I actually supported. When I supported it I did not come out and say the driver was overpaid. I simply said I did not see where it was a slam on the driver. I further stated that I thought the driver and the CEO had thier own value to the company. Thus your slam does not make any sense?

Do I get another flame in response or would you care to stay on topic this time?

Work right slow and safe

Kind of hard to compare these jobs as they are completely different, but have at it, i'd like to see other folks replies.

On another topic, I think the point of the "ups is so poor" thread was an outlet for the op to whine about not getting free food. Waaahhhh!

its not about whining about free food its the fact that they have taken away something from all of us due to they dont have the money !!!!!!

I bet the ceo still gets his free coffee every day.
and we cant get paper clips or pins and now we can not even get are browns to drive what is going on is all.

He will still make is bouns ,stocks and over 5 mil per year
some drivers will loose there job and house 401 k have been cut stock buying is only 5% off now he will keep cutting and cutting and after all is said and done he will get a raise at the end of the year :dead:

Solidarity413

And yet I'm supposed to value your opinion. You had the option of explaining why you found Hoaxsters post offensive instead you decided to flame me.

If you actually paid attention to the dialogue here you would know that Hoax and I often go toe to toe on different issues. With that in mind this may be one of the few posts of his I actually supported. When I supported it I did not come out and say the driver was overpaid. I simply said I did not see where it was a slam on the driver. I further stated that I thought the driver and the CEO had thier own value to the company. Thus your slam does not make any sense?

Do I get another flame in response or would you care to stay on topic this time?

Was your relationship with Hoax ever under question here? I missed that part.
You said 'each has their value' so don't back-pedal now and say you never slammed the driver.

What I find ironic and offensive to this is that every one of these' overpaid' drivers are working right now, and working hard. They will continue to do so until 7 or even 8'o clock at night. So they will not be on here to respond to this, unless they take the lunch break and do it, right? But the CEO can do something even better then that, he could, if he wanted, pay someone to check the site and respond for him. He makes the top-dog calls that sends all these drivers out for this long and he agrees to the 'overpaid' drivers contracts.

So don't sit here and tell me that the driver is overpaid when the driver is out there for more then 9.5 hours EVERYDAY working their ***** off for a company that the managers make a living hell for, for no reason. And you want to have a civil discussion about this? I don't think so bud, not gonna happen. You're going to make inflammatory statements and apologize for them later.

Work right slow and safe

You said 'each has their value' so don't back-pedal now and say you never slammed the driver.

What I find ironic and offensive to this is that every one of these' overpaid' drivers are working right now, and working hard. They will continue to do so until 7 or even 8'o clock at night. So they will not be on here to respond to this, unless they take the lunch break and do it, right? But the CEO can do something even better then that, he could, if he wanted, pay someone to check the site and respond for him. He makes the top-dog calls that sends all these drivers out for this long and he agrees to the 'overpaid' drivers contracts.

So don't sit here and tell me that the driver is overpaid when the driver is out there for more then 9.5 hours EVERYDAY working their ***** off for a company that the managers make a living hell for, for no reason. And you want to have a civil discussion about this? I don't think so bud, not gonna happen. You're going to make inflammatory statements and apologize for them later.

You are so right do they know how much time the drivers miss with there family, get to work at 830am till 830- 900pm every day no family dinners with the wife and kids no sports with the kids school open house ??? what is that i just get to hear about all this good stuff i miss. we as drivers get paid what 105,000 per year but miss out on life with stress ,fatige ,ack and paines . One thing i can tell you is he can get any time off he would like and get to all his kids school things and sports so yes he is over paid and drivers and still under paid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tieguy

Banned

My point exactly I did say each has their value instead of taking a biased side as you accused me of.

Perhaps you could show me where somone said they were overpaid. Do you just make things up as you go?

Again show me where I said the driver was overpaid. Yo Mcfly are you actually paying attention?

Solidarity413

You are so right do they know how much time the drivers miss with there family, get to work at 830am till 830- 900pm every day no family dinners with the wife and kids no sports with the kids school open house ??? what is that i just get to hear about all this good stuff i miss. we as drivers get paid what 105,000 per year but miss out on life with stress ,fatige ,ack and paines . One thing i can tell you is he can get any time off he would like and get to all his kids school things and sports so yes he is over paid and drivers and still under paid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. And let us not forget all of the researched that hasn't been done, but hopefully will be about the health of drivers and inside workers. When it comes to wearing the new imprinters for inside workers (which leaves bruises and marks on the hands everyday) or whether it be the massive amount of damage UPS allows drivers to do to their bodies everyday from wear and tear that they don't even notice.

I think of my uncles and grandparents who worked in auto and retired, who have so many knee problems from getting in and out of those cars that were moving on the line everyday, who have so many back/hip problems from management squeezing every bit of profit out of them with no regard to what it would be like for them in their 70's.

Solidarity413

Again show me where I said the driver was overpaid. Yo Mcfly are you actually paying attention?

You said each has their value? I believe by the definition of value ( relative worth, merit, or importance ) you agreed that the driver is overpaid. You admit to saying this argument has value, but then say you disagree that the merit of a driver getting overpaid doesn't exist? Tie I think you need to go back to school, bud.

brown138

I think we can all agree that CEO's are overpaid. Granted Scott Davis makes less then most CEO's but lets think about it. He make's 40 times that of an average full time employee. Actually according to Forbes he made 5.6 million in 2008. So let me get this straight If I started out at
UPS at age 18 and worked my way up to a possibly overpaid driver. Worked for 40 Years until age 58... Scott Davis would of still made more than me in 1 year... Damn I guess I'm not overpaid!

Catatonic

Nine Lives

You missed my point.
Scott could be making a lot more if he belonged to the IBE*.

*IBE (Intl Brotherhood of Executives)

over9five

Staff member
<sigh>

Troll: To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames....

Source: Dictionary.com

We should end this thread right now. It was obvious from the beginning it would go nowhere good.

Dustyroads

Brown138, I didn't want to come out and say it, but those math numbers went through my mind earlier. I figured everyone else had done that math as well.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
<sigh>

Troll: To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames....

Source: Dictionary.com

We should end this thread right now. It was obvious from the beginning it would go nowhere good.

You mean it was predictable?

Hoax the Trollsta

PS: Yes , the responses were very predictable ... but still amusing!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think we can all agree that CEO's are overpaid. Granted Scott Davis makes less then most CEO's but lets think about it. He make's 40 times that of an average full time employee. Actually according to Forbes he made 5.6 million in 2008. So let me get this straight If I started out at
UPS at age 18 and worked my way up to a possibly overpaid driver. Worked for 40 Years until age 58... Scott Davis would of still made more than me in 1 year... Damn I guess I'm not overpaid!
Same applies to me ... can we be Brothers? :happy-very:
I started at 18 and worked my way up to an overpaid manager and if I "Worked for 40 Years until age 58... Scott Davis would of still have made more than me in 1 year."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.