WHO IS PROUD?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I have pride in what UPS was. Corporate has destroyed much of the pride I felt in wearing brown. Rather than focus on service which made this company great, they focus on unattainable metrics and spending a dollar to save a nickel. We used to have swagger being a driver that came with being the best but now I feel like a beat dog. Talk with senior drivers and they will tell you the same thing, this used to be a great place to work but now they are just putting the time in till they can retire.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have pride in what UPS was. Corporate has destroyed much of the pride I felt in wearing brown. Rather than focus on service which made this company great, they focus on unattainable metrics and spending a dollar to save a nickel. We used to have swagger being a driver that came with being the best but now I feel like a beat dog. Talk with senior drivers and they will tell you the same thing, this used to be a great place to work but now they are just putting the time in till they can retire.

If managers were able to put the calculators down and actually MANAGE their centers UPS would put the competition in the dirt. Every since I started driving and noticed our manager's daily morning routine I'm thinking we should all invest in calculator manufacturers and big tobacco.

Driver7906

While I do think UPS is still a great place to work I will admit that it's crazy the things they have taken away from it's employees and the cost-cutting moves they've made since I've been a UPSer:

1. Yearly rewards for Safe Driving (we used to pick a reward out of a catalog we were given along with our award for safe driving).
2. Switching from quality to much cheaper uniforms.
3. Eliminating most air-driving positions.
4. No more Christmas turkey for employees.
5. Founders Day used to be a HUGE deal with a big celebration and UPS gear given to the workers. Now it's barely recognized except for a video and a crappy cake in the morning before we hit the road.

Those are just a few of the cost-cutting moves but what amazes me is that they invest millions into a useless program like ORION. As I said in a previous post, I don't agree with what a lot of what UPS does but it's still a good place to work. At least we still get our yearly pay-raises.

Mack Grant

While I do think UPS is still a great place to work I will admit that it's crazy the things they have taken away from it's employees and the cost-cutting moves they've made since I've been a UPSer:

1. Yearly rewards for Safe Driving (we used to pick a reward out of a catalog we were given along with our award for safe driving).
2. Switching from quality to much cheaper uniforms.
3. Eliminating most air-driving positions.
4. No more Christmas turkey for employees.
5. Founders Day used to be a HUGE deal with a big celebration and UPS gear given to the workers. Now it's barely recognized except for a video and a crappy cake in the morning before we hit the road.

Those are just a few of the cost-cutting moves but what amazes me is that they invest millions into a useless program like ORION. As I said in a previous post, I don't agree with what a lot of what UPS does but it's still a good place to work. At least we still get our yearly pay-raises.
I like to listen to financial radio programs and they had a guy on not 20 minutes ago that was discussing the difference between companies that invest in their employees, and companies that only do things to make themselves look good to shareholders.
Guess which one UPS has become over the last 15 years?

Overpaid Union Thug

I like to listen to financial radio programs and they had a guy on not 20 minutes ago that was discussing the difference between companies that invest in their employees, and companies that only do things to make themselves look good to shareholders.
Guess which one UPS has become over the last 15 years?
Going public was a get rich scheme orchestrated by a bunch of high level corporate desk jockeys at UPS. Their gamble paid out for them, lower level management that already owned stock, and outsiders that were able to take advantage of the IPO. However.....the long term stability of UPS was put in jeopardy once corporate decided to turn to metrics to impress your typical outsider stock holder, who knows little to nothing about how UPS works, instead of sticking to what had made UPS great the prior 99 years before going public. Until providing service replaces giving false impressions to clueless stockholders as the top priority we will continue to see our competition take huge bites out of our work despite how unprofessional and second rate they are. And that is sad. RPS shouldn't be anything more than the equivalent of comparing a Kmart to a Costco. In reality that is what they are but corporate is allowing them to rise because instead of going for their jugular they are to preoccupied with metrics that don't mean a damn thing to the customer.

Driver7906

I have to agree with you. Sadly, this company has forced me to change the way I feel. I have never seen an organization work so hard at trying to torment it's workforce.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I've seen an organization torment their workforce much worse. Try working in retail for a year or two.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I am proud that I have an honest job and that I work hard to provide for my family. As far as proud of working for UPS, my pride is simply a romantic legacy of the culture that died in the mid 2000's. I'm proud of what UPS was when I started. Now, the culture has been gutted and hardly anyone who remembers the old culture is left, and soon EVERYONE will belong to the "go friend yourself" corporate culture now instilled and infecting new UPSers. I AM very proud to say I was a UPSer back when our browns matched and turkeys were a gift, not corporate leaders.

brostalss

Coming up on 22 years with UPS. 15 of those driving. Over half my life. I am proud of working for UPS. I ignore all the management BS and do the job for my customers. They are the ones who motivate me and strive to do them an invaluable service.

browniehound

No idea why i even started this thread,but we all do alot of bsing on here about the company and alot of hatred and horror storys. I guess what I am asking is are you proud as workers to work for UPS? After I pull away fr allll the BS from Mgt I can actually say Yes. I have a college degree etc should have taken a different path, but honestly when i do my job and put on that uniform there is a sense of pride!

Yes. Like you said, even after all the BS I'm actually proud to work for UPS. At first, I wasn't so much because many of my peers from high school were working these high flying, high respect jobs. But after 4 high school reunions in which I said I work at the same place for all 4 of them each person responded to this with a lot of respect and utter disbelief I am very proud. Most of them have held 4-8 jobs during this time period.

I also have a B.S. from a state university but don't think I would rather do anything else except drive the UPS truck. At least I wouldn't want to do anything I went to school for.

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
Founders Day... a crappy cake...
What?!?!, You get cake??? 10 years & we've never had cake!

Other than that, I really like my job, love my customers, and am proud to be a UPSER. Unlike the majority of you out there, I don't see my management everyday and barely talk to then once a week, and only see then 2-3 times a year for our ride-ons so that eliminates 90% of the problems.

Life is good in my island paradise!