Who is responsible for checking oil in the trucks?

Sasquatch

I searched but could not find someone who has asked this yet, is this the mechanics job or a part time slaves job? Who does it at your hub? :peaceful:

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
the driver is responsable to check the oil, part of the pre trip and post trip that is required by law. That being said in Mesquite we have a spectially designned cart and have a car washer person chekc the oil in 1 of the 4 centers a night. Since we all know that pre trips and post trips happen on a daily basis.

W

want to retire

the driver is responsable to check the oil, part of the pre trip and post trip that is required by law. That being said in Mesquite we have a spectially designned cart and have a car washer person chekc the oil in 1 of the 4 centers a night. Since we all know that pre trips and post trips happen on a daily basis.

Yes sir.....I hear your sarcasm. And yes, some tractors I get into have a dry dipstick..........my tractor uses 8 qts. per week. The bottom line is this: if your vehicle runs out of oil and blows up, the driver will get tagged(warning letter or even fired)(try to anyway). Unless of course there is a maintenance snafu......

W

want to retire

In 23 years I have never checked the dipstick on a package car; in fact, I would be hard pressed to find it. Our carwash checks fluid levels.

Well, you say it's different in a small center.......that said.......they are going to blame someone(or try to)........here-unless there is an obvious leak, it's going to be the driver. Always has been. And with all the cameras around.........I guess they could go back and see if you at least looked under there. The idea is with a carwash guy checking and with a driver following up........there is a great chance we're not going to run out of oil!

menotyou

bella amicizia
I've been told I don't have to lift the hood for anything directly by the center manager.

I was at the airport one time and wanted to fill the windshield fluid because it ran out on the way down. This was one of those little trucks with the van front end and a 500 box welded on the back. We were waiting for the plane, so the belt was full of the crew. The giggles and laughter that echoed throughput the building, all while watching me trying to figure out how the hell those hood come up. I couldn't figure it out to save my life. Finally, one of the other drivers saved me.
It was funny.

I am not a mechanic and I don't want a grievance on my ass because the mechanic figured out I was doing his job. He doesn't deliver packages and I don't check the oil.

W

want to retire

Fair enough. In our Hub(district), the words "improper pre-trip" get used alot. If your vehicle(feeder) say- burns up a front wheel bearing and causes two loads to miss service......your pre-trip will automatically be questioned(as it should really). I'm really surprised at your responses. Checking the oil in our vehicles(as drivers) is as automatic as wearing your seatbelt. Now, that doesn't mean everyone does a proper pre-trip. I have found plenty of dry dipsticks. My last tractor was using about 10 qts.(oil) a DAY! before they scrapped it. This went on for several months and left huge puddles and residue everywhere(yes, customers property....). Mgt. and mechanics just shrugged.

W

want to retire

I've been told I don't have to lift the hood for anything directly by the center manager.

I was at the airport one time and wanted to fill the windshield fluid because it ran out on the way down. This was one of those little trucks with the van front end and a 500 box welded on the back. We were waiting for the plane, so the belt was full of the crew. The giggles and laughter that echoed throughput the building, all while watching me trying to figure out how the hell those hood come up. I couldn't figure it out to save my life. Finally, one of the other drivers saved me.
It was funny.

I am not a mechanic and I don't want a grievance on my ass because the mechanic figured out I was doing his job. He doesn't deliver packages and I don't check the oil.

Interesting.......our mechanics would laugh in your face(as well as mgt.) if you demanded/relied on them to check your oil daily. That goes for w/s fluid, coolant, steering fluid, hub oil etc.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Interesting.......our mechanics would laugh in your face(as well as mgt.) if you demanded/relied on them to check your oil daily. That goes for w/s fluid, coolant, steering fluid, hub oil etc.
I work at a very small center with, on average, 32 runs going out. Our mechanic is very protective of his job. I don't think he checks all the fluids, though. The carwashers check something, as well. I have no idea what, nor do I care.

I check the washer fluid because I use a lot.

BTW, if they wanted me to check the fluids, I'd learn how. I have never demanded/relied on them for anything. Just working as directed.

W

want to retire

It was funny.

Matter of fact, I have repaired(had several customers who would loan me tools and their shop) many a throttle cable, fuel line etc. on area to get through the day. Waiting for a mechanic/replacement pkg car would take too long. Mgt. didn't care who fixed it(neither did the mechanics) as long as the pkgs got delivered. Used to get all kinds of swag(hats etc) to avoid a road call. My motivation was that I wasn't going to get any help anyway(deliveries/p/up) and just get on with it. Mgt. would usually send out a Chile's gift cert. or some such to the customer for helping out. Ah, the old days.....

W

want to retire

I work at a very small center with, on average, 32 runs going out. Our mechanic is very protective of his job. I don't think he checks all the fluids, though. The carwashers check something, as well. I have no idea what, nor do I care.

I check the washer fluid because I use a lot.

BTW, if they wanted me to check the fluids, I'd learn how. I have never demanded/relied on them for anything. Just working as directed.

Understood.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm in a pretty good sized building and I've never heard of package drivers checking the oil, it's definitely not part of our pre-trip.

barnyard

KTM rider
It is part of the pretrip here. When I started driving, if we needed oil, we were told to write it up on the DVIR. Several years ago, it was changed to the driver has to add oil when needed. From what I have seen, the only people that do not check their oil are former air drivers and 1 in particular. If I am going to be off and know that she will be covering the route that I am on, I add oil if it is close. I had her regular air car a while back and had to add 4 qts of oil into a 4.3 liter GM. The engine blew that day and my supe tried to give me a warning letter for not checking the oil. We went through the DVIR and I reminded him that I added 4 qts that morning. The shop steward said to me, very, very quietly, "You watch, even though she should get a warning letter, he won't even say anything to her." He was right.

When I did feeder training, we were told that the pretrip included checking the oil and the power steering level (uses motor oil in tractors).

I am not sure that I would like to have others check the oil for me. When I open the hood to check, I am also looking for future problems, anything leaking (I caught a couple of water pumps as they were failing, saving a tow and on road aggravation), plus it is easier to see the front tire condition with the hood up.