Who Is The Greatest Guitar Player

DS

Fenderbender
We are grateful to that animal that gave it's life to cover up part of Yoko's face!!
Quite a few animals by the looks of it .Yea she looks warm...and pissed off because she cant reach her phone! Imagine a $9000 phone bill in a week?30 years ago? I get the impression you dont like Yoko more.Who does.Well maybe julian and sean do.You focused on her.But I thought it was cool to premier a never seen before picture of them gallivanting just down the road from where I live.I mean the "Weekly World News"have not even seen this yet.My sister "went out" with Ronnie Hawkins when I was about 8.The band that went on tour with Dylan when he went electric,"the band" was his band.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
1. Tony Iommi
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Jimmy Page
4. David Gilmour
5. Alex Lifeson
6. Eric Clapton
7. Dimebag Darrell
8.Adam Jones (TOOL)
9. Dave Mustaine
10. Zakk Wylde (Ozzy and BLS)
11.Kirk and James
12. Adrian Smith( Iron Maiden)
13. Eddie Clark (Motorhead)
14. Scott Ian

ezmoney5150

As a guitar player, nobody has influenced more people to pick up the guitar than Edward Van Halen.

Here's my list.

1. Eddie Van Halen
2. Steve Vai
3. Joe Satriani
4. George Lynch
5. Frank Zappa
6. Tony Iommi
7. Rhandi Rhodes
8. Jake E. Lee
9. Jimmy Page
10. Jimi Hendrix
11. Nuno Bettencourt
12. Zakk Wylde
13. Ritchie Blackmore
14. Slash
15. Kirk Hammett

JustTired

free at last.......
ezmoney5150

That quote of yours:
"In 1555, Nostradamus wrote:
Come the millennium, month 12
In the home of greatest power
The village idiot will come forth
To be acclaimed the leader."

If he actually said that, he was right on the money. If you made it up........it's still right on the money. LOL

ezmoney5150

ezmoney5150

That quote of yours:
"In 1555, Nostradamus wrote:
Come the millennium, month 12
In the home of greatest power
The village idiot will come forth
To be acclaimed the leader."

If he actually said that, he was right on the money. If you made it up........it's still right on the money. LOL

It's actually an internet hoax but i have a Bush coffee mug with it on there. I just think its funny.

wkmac

Old Brown Shoe,

It's not a sitar, it's called a Chapman Stick. They come in 8 string, a 10 string and a 12 String called a Grand Stick. One of the most famous players is the bass great Tony Levin who's played with Robert Fripp and King Crimson to Peter Gabriel and a whole lot in between. This summer Tony will once again reunite and perform with John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy and Jordon Rudness as Liquid Tension Experiment will do a one off show at the annual Progressive Rock festival Nearfest in Pa. Also Tony it is reported will also unite with Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew among others including a fav drummer of mine Gavin Harrison of a fav band of mine Porcupine Tree to reform the legendary King Crimson. In both ventures, you can see Tony play the Chapman Stick as a huge part of his musical performance.

E Z MONEY, :wink2:

After all the guitarists mentioned I had noticed Richie Blackmore was not of the listed and cudos to you for correcting that horrible oversight. Blackmore really help set the bar for Hard Rock/Metal with his work in Deep Purple and Rainbow but his latest ventures are also very much worthy of consideration IMO. Richie also had a love of classical, especially the Renaissance era and it's folk music and the instrumentation used in the period. Richie is well known to attend various European Renaissance festivals in period costume and performing on period instruments and the music of that time. He now incorporates that sound and style in contemporary fashion to modern audiences in a band called Blackmore Nights, named after himself and Candance Night who is the main vocalist in the band.

BTW: Check out the music file "Shadow of the Moon" at the website as I just love this piece as it includes tradition classical guitar style, Renaissance period folk music and the use of Mideast to NearEast music that swings in and out of the piece. Richie IMO should be as proud of these efforts as any with Deep Purple or Rainbow and maybe even moreso.

Hope you enjoy!

DS

Fenderbender
wkmac,that "stick" is one amazing instrument.
I tried those Richie Blackmore links and they were dead,but managed to find some audio from other sites.I'm surprised at the direction he's taken,he was always the "difficult" one when he was in deep purple.
I went to see king crimson at a small venue in '73 and they were amazing(larks tongues in aspic)
Music is the only thing that man has ever invented that will last forever.

wkmac

wkmac,that "stick" is one amazing instrument.
I tried those Richie Blackmore links and they were dead,but managed to find some audio from other sites.I'm surprised at the direction he's taken,he was always the "difficult" one when he was in deep purple.
I went to see king crimson at a small venue in '73 and they were amazing(larks tongues in aspic)
Music is the only thing that man has ever invented that will last forever.

Sorry the links didn't work but you got the idea.

I saw the same KC tour in 73' myself and Robin Trower was also on the same bill. What a kick as tour! As to KC, with Fripp reforming the band, I'm making plans to catch this show if I can.

I miss those small venue shows back in the day and here are my favorite of all of them from that era.

1972' Black Sabbath
1972' Uriah Heep
1972' Pink Floyd (before DSOTM)
!973' KC and Trower
1974' Genesis Selling England By The Pound
1975' Genesis Lamb tour (HUGE fan of Gabriel era Genesis and still am)
1975' to 1976' Rang in the New Year at an Atlanta bar with Kansas

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
1975' to 1976' Rang in the New Year at an Atlanta bar with Kansas

Hey wkmac,
Funny that you would mention Kansas. I deliver to Phil Ehart's house, he lives on a large private lake on the Southside. He is the drummer and considered the band leader. Nice guy, he comes to the door and says "Yes Sir" to me and he takes care of his mom in an apartment connected to his house. He gets a lot of cases of Vater drumsticks, they are branded with his name because he tosses them out into the crowd at the end of their concerts.(I have a pair). He also goes through a few Zildjian cymbols on his Yamaha drumset.
www.kansasband.com

DS

Fenderbender
This thread has blossomed from its original theme to that of the greatest bands us old farts like....but I'm good with that.I saw sabbath in '72 as well.I also liked uriah heep...still do for that matter,I just burned a copy of the "look at yourself" cd for the car.I'll never forget the look on my dads face when I showed him the cover of "love it to death" by alice cooper...:sad-very: ha ha...or when I played him some "yes" and he said,why does he have to sing like a girl? I was at a few christmas get-togethers this year and I brought my guitar.We had fun playing wish you were here and stuff.My friend was showing me his 10,000 song ipod,and it turned out we could play the first 3 chords of 10,000 songs when we tried to play them...I guess that my resolution is to play my guitar more this year.I've been working on that thin lizzy tune,the boys are back in town...friend#Msus4?...ok it cant be that hard...I will figure it out....:happy-very:

copyrightacolor

Ok, from a British perspective?:

Jazz / Fusion:- Torcuato Mariano, Chuck Loeb
Rock:- Steve Lukather, Michael Landau
Rock Blues:- Eric Johnson, Jan Cyrka
Steel Acoustic:-Mile Gilderdale,
Nylon Acoustic:- Earl Klugh, Peter White, Marc Antoine
Bass:- Nathan East, Marcus Miller, Walt Becker, Scott Thunes
Country(?): Chet Atkins, Duane Eddy
Stunt Guitar:-Warren Cucarulo, Steve Vai

but hey, who am I to judge?

wkmac

Chuck Loeb! Got to see him live a couple of years back along with Jeff Kashiwa and man what an evening. And to make it even better, it was outside at an ampitheater not 15 minutes from the house in nearby Woodstock. Woodstock Georgia that is and the best part was when Chuck talked about always wanting to play Woodstock and then broke into an awesome Star Spangle Banner with distortion and feedback to boot which is not common in jazz circles. The crowd went wild and Chuck had fun doing it.

Chuck has also done some great production work having produced for guys like Jeff Kashiwa and Kim Waters but also Spyro Gyra and the great Gato Barbieri.

Another Brit guitarist of fame is none other than Ritchie Blackmore and the reason I mention Ritchie is because of his latest work over the last 10 years. He's been influence by Renaissance period music and his project Blackmore's Night combine Renaissance/European Folk along with rock for a glorious sound. We picked up their DVD of a recent Paris show and it was killer. Among the many original pieces, they did a cover of Joan Baez' Diamonds and Rust that was just breath taking IMO. Ritchie not only can still play a classical guitar piece but now he even plays period instruments including the hurdy gerty.

link to Blackmore's Night website:

http://www.blackmoresnight.com/

check out some of the music files.

wkmac

This thread has blossomed from its original theme to that of the greatest bands us old farts like....but I'm good with that.I saw sabbath in '72 as well.I also liked uriah heep...still do for that matter,I just burned a copy of the "look at yourself" cd for the car.I'll never forget the look on my dads face when I showed him the cover of "love it to death" by alice cooper...:sad-very: ha ha...or when I played him some "yes" and he said,why does he have to sing like a girl? I was at a few christmas get-togethers this year and I brought my guitar.We had fun playing wish you were here and stuff.My friend was showing me his 10,000 song ipod,and it turned out we could play the first 3 chords of 10,000 songs when we tried to play them...I guess that my resolution is to play my guitar more this year.I've been working on that thin lizzy tune,the boys are back in town...friend#Msus4?...ok it cant be that hard...I will figure it out....:happy-very:

I loved Sabbath and the whole metal scene in the early days but by the late 70's I was more into jazz and electronica. I do like what some of the young kids today are doing with metal and the heavier sounds with down tuning and even 7 string guitars.

However, I was and am still a big fan of Yes. My alltime favorite album of theirs is still Close to the Edge with Tails of Topographic Oceans and Relayer right up there. Saw them live in 73', 74' and 76'. Giving thought of going to see them this summer. No Wakeman however!:sad-little:

friend#Msus4 = friend Sharpe minor Sus 4. I can't play it but I can read it! LOL! I've got 4 guitarists in the house and between them we have 12 guitars in the house including a 100 watt Marshall stack of course so I've been around the block a few times with them.
:wink2:

DS

Fenderbender
wkmac...that encarta link has a virus in it...
anyways,that blackmore stuff is too weird for me.
its great to find a fellow music lover in here though.
I had a 100 watt marshall stack w 2 4x12 cabinets when i was a bass player years ago,now I just tinker on my 15 year old martin shenandoah.If I could make a living playing music I'd do it in a heartbeat.I had an offer to play with a band on weekends but with ups,I'd have no time to sleep.
"nous somes du soliel"one of my fav's
we are of the sun,we love when we play

wkmac

wkmac...that encarta link has a virus in it...
anyways,that blackmore stuff is too weird for me.
its great to find a fellow music lover in here though.
I had a 100 watt marshall stack w 2 4x12 cabinets when i was a bass player years ago,now I just tinker on my 15 year old martin shenandoah.If I could make a living playing music I'd do it in a heartbeat.I had an offer to play with a band on weekends but with ups,I'd have no time to sleep.
"nous somes du soliel"one of my fav's
we are of the sun,we love when we play

Thanks for the heads up on the link. I removed it.

You calling Blackmore's stuff weird is funny when you consider you went to a King Crimson concert!
:happy-very: Still to this day I play In the Court of the Crimson King, Poseidon and Lark's Tonque in Aspic from time to time.

BTW: Crimson is reforming and I know Tony Levin (bass and Stik player) will be with him along with Gavin Harrison, drummer for a fav. band of mine in Porcupine Tree. Fripp has not only toured with PT but also played some guitar on their recent Fear of a Blank Planet album, so there is a connection. Alex Lifeson of Rush also appeared on same CD.

Did you know that Microsoft commissioned Robert Fripp for many soundscapes and sound files for their latest software including Vista? http://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=151853
Who would have thunk it back in the day that you'd hear Pink Floyd on the Weather Channel and in elevators and Robert Fripp of King Crimson on you computer! You ever get the chance, go out to youtube and watch some of Fripps videos using Frippertronics. I know it's not typical music but the sound scapes he can create with just a guitar is truly amazing to me.

Love music and enjoy talking about it too. Anytime!