Who is the worst CEO UPS has ever had ?

Does anyone remember self-directed work groups and fad of hiring every consulting group imaginable (Managing from the heart training, management wardrobe consultants,). That would be that loveable clown...Oz Nelson. He would have been way over his head at todays UPS.

J

JonFrum

. . .Jim Kelly took this company public and made a lot of money for ALL UPS investors. The stock was afforded to all UPS employees, prior to going public, which to some management people was a concern. . .

Technically true. All employees had the opportunity to acquire UPS stock, but only after Ron Carey demanded that part-timers be included, too. The original plan UPS announced was to leave the part-timers out it the cold, kinda like they did again in the just-voted-on contract.

over9five

Staff member
"...kinda like they did again in the just-voted-on contract."

I disagree. It is the part-timers themselves, through their own apathy time and time again, that leave themselves out in the cold.

If they only attended union meetings, if they only voted.... With their sheer numbers alone they could run the union and dictate their wages.

tieguy

Banned
Technically true. All employees had the opportunity to acquire UPS stock, but only after Ron Carey demanded that part-timers be included, too. The original plan UPS announced was to leave the part-timers out it the cold, kinda like they did again in the just-voted-on contract.

We really should reconsider whether its good for the site to allow anonymous posting of BS.

J

JonFrum

Part-timer apathy? Full-timer apathy?

I disagree. It is the part-timers themselves, through their own apathy time and time again, that leave themselves out in the cold.

If they only attended union meetings, if they only voted.... With their sheer numbers alone they could run the union and dictate their wages.

Part-timer apathy is only a small part of why part-timers don't get involved. The Teamsters and UPS have erected many hurdles and most part-timers just don't feel it is worth it to overcome them. Probably the same attitude you, yourself, had years ago when you first started.

Of course, even if apathy is the main reason, apathy is not a crime, and does not justify shabby treatment by UPS, the Teamsters, and all those full-timers who vote to give themselves so much more in pay and benefits, and necessarily so much less to the part-timers.

Incidentally, I've attended every monthly meeting of my Local for years and I see little reason why a part-timer would want to attend. We have a hard time getting full-timers to attend! Typically, the three summer meetings are canceled, the December meeting is canceled, the regular business of the May meeting is postphoned because of the giving out of scholarships, and two other meetings are canceled on the spot due to a lack of a quorum present (15 members.) There are seven officers, plus a Seargent-at-Arms, plus myself, so all we need is a few warm bodies to show up from among the forty or so (mostly full-time) worksites in our Local. Either we just make it, or we delay the start of the meeting until a straggler or two shows up. You would think the steward's network, alone, would generate several dozen meeting attendees. But even most stewards don't show up.

I think the "part-time apathy" excuse is mostly a way certain full-timers make themselves feel less guilty about repeatedly voting "yes" and stiffing the part-timers in every contract since May 1982. That's not exactly inspiring Union Solidarity folks!

J

JonFrum

Part-timer apathy? Full-timer apathy?

UPDATE: Coincidently, there's a poll being conducted on TeamsterNet about Teamster Apathy. It is open to all Teamsters, not just UPSers, so I imagine it's audience will be mostly full-timers. The question asked is:

"What percentage of your co-workers actually participate in union activities like meetings, contract talks and votes?"

Only a pitifully small number of Teamsters have responded, (the rest are probably apathetic,) and respondents say only a small percent of Teamsters in their area participate, (the rest are apathetic.) This confirms my belief that the Teamsters are seriously disfunctional, and mostly just a shell of a labor union. We need to clean house!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When the company was privately held and solely owned by UPS management and their heirs, there were no reports regarding UPS stock.

I knew Jim Kelly when he was the North Central Region Manager and he was a down to earth operator and knew the business. From there he went on to Corporate Labor for awhile. From my management perspective, there was going to be a strike, no matter what UPS would have agreed upon with the union. The sticking point in the 97 strike was creating a pension plan for UPS employees only (sound familiar) from the company side.

Carey was on the bandwagon for "Part time America" doesn't work. So the company agreed to 22.3 jobs, which some employees are happy with and others hate.

Jim Kelly took this company public and made a lot of money for ALL UPS investors. The stock was afforded to all UPS employees, prior to going public, which to some management people was a concern. However, UPS management are awarded their stock based on recommendations of the Division Manager, as part of their compensation. Whereas, non UPS management employees were able to purchase stock. So all UPS shareholders enjoyed the stock split and doubling their stock portfolio within the year.

So, do I think Kelly was the worst CEO - absolutely not.
I know Mike Eskew was not the most popular in his tenure as CEO, however, he did expand UPS's portforlio for our customers.

Since going public, UPS has acquired so many other companies, and the ones that are working for us are internationally. Now that took some vision, to know the domestic competition was not going away, as a matter of fact, other carriers really stepped up to the plate to get our business. It's been quite a few quarters, where the International side of the business brought in the earnings, rather than our domestic core business.

Now Scott Davis does worry me, as he's already made the statement that he's not in love with a Triple AAA rating for the company, which UPS has always been regarded as one of the most financially sound companies in the business world.

And I know the stock has not done well, however, based on the economy over the last few years, I will be weathering the storm.

How is the weathering coming along?