Who makes DIAD?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Diad 5 seems to be holding up. Only thing on my wish list is bigger lettering on the screen for those of us over 40.

9.5er

Whats the deal with that stupid elastic strap on the back? Why is it permanently attached? Once they get stretched out they need to be replaced. I just cut them off and go with out. Hope the regular driver I'm covering for doesn't mind.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Whats the deal with that stupid elastic strap on the back? Why is it permanently attached? Once they get stretched out they need to be replaced. I just cut them off and go with out. Hope the regular driver I'm covering for doesn't mind.
So you're the one that cut the strap on my diad.

Cementups

Box Monkey

They are replaceable. I just had my OMS replace mine a couple weeks ago. You need to take the battery off to change it.

Johney

Anyone else have a problem with the DIAD 5 scanning Amazon packages? Seems it doesn't pick up the tracking bar code on their packages unless you hit it about 4 or 5 times. Always seems to pick-up the one under it first.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
UPS designs the DIAD, but outsources the manufacturing process, similar to Apple and its devices.

DIAD I, II and III were manufactured by Motorola.
DIAD IV was manufactured by Symbol Technologies. Symbol Technologies was later acquired by Motorola, and thus late-build DIAD IV models have Motorola's badge.
DIAD V is manufactured by Honeywell.

Some technical history on the DIAD, including the then-new DIAD IV:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/80369/UPS_to_spend_127M_on_tri_mode_wireless_driver_terminals

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
DIAD 1s were made in Japan by the Tappan Corp. The motherboards were fragile and prone to fail a lot. We had to find a phone to upload the data.

They let us take them home and practice with them when they first came out. Being the curious type, I took it apart to see how it was built. I also took a DIAD 4 apart in the office one evening to screw in a one of the scanner mounting screws that fell out.

Last edited: