Who makes DIAD?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by mixyo, Mar 30, 2014.

1. mixyo

mixyo Active Member

I highly doubt UPS designs and manufactures their own electronics. Who do they contract with to make the DIADs? :onitswaysmiley:

2. degill7994

degill7994 Active Member

The new Ines are made by Honeywell.

Sent using BrownCafe App

3. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

The Orion compatible models are made by elfs in hollow trees and sprinkled with pixie dust. I think my morning meds have kicked in.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Notretiredyet

Notretiredyet Active Member

On that note I heard the NSA uses UPS software for their spying cause it works so well.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Dont take one of those little blue pills, by mistake. You dont want a stiff knee!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

Shhh... i stole em from your medicine cabinent...I can sell em on the street for $15 a pill! Lmao

7. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

They're sprinkled with something alright....lol

8. Mexicans made the fives. The four was made in Israel. I'd rather have my diad made by Israelis than Mexicans because they make really good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Diad 5 seems to be holding up. Only thing on my wish list is bigger lettering on the screen for those of us over 40.

10. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

DIAD 4 was made by Symbol Technologies. DIAD 5 is made by Honeywell.

11. jaker

jaker trolling

Diad 6 will be implanted in your body and will be fully operational by someone in a cubical

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. 9.5er

9.5er Well-Known Member

Whats the deal with that stupid elastic strap on the back? Why is it permanently attached? Once they get stretched out they need to be replaced. I just cut them off and go with out. Hope the regular driver I'm covering for doesn't mind.

13. 9.5er

9.5er Well-Known Member

Good let them clarify all those crappy signatures we get daily.

14. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

So you're the one that cut the strap on my diad.

15. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

They are replaceable. I just had my OMS replace mine a couple weeks ago. You need to take the battery off to change it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. 9.5er

9.5er Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have stretched it out so much. Lol

17. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Changed mine at least 4 times now as I like to be John Wayne with the strap. Take the cover off, remove the pin in the base and replace.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

Anyone else have a problem with the DIAD 5 scanning Amazon packages? Seems it doesn't pick up the tracking bar code on their packages unless you hit it about 4 or 5 times. Always seems to pick-up the one under it first.

19. Bagels

Bagels Family Leave Fridays!!!

UPS designs the DIAD, but outsources the manufacturing process, similar to Apple and its devices.

DIAD I, II and III were manufactured by Motorola.
    DIAD IV was manufactured by Symbol Technologies. Symbol Technologies was later acquired by Motorola, and thus late-build DIAD IV models have Motorola's badge.
    DIAD V is manufactured by Honeywell.

Some technical history on the DIAD, including the then-new DIAD IV:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/80369/UPS_to_spend_127M_on_tri_mode_wireless_driver_terminals

• List
  20. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

DIAD 1s were made in Japan by the Tappan Corp. The motherboards were fragile and prone to fail a lot. We had to find a phone to upload the data.

They let us take them home and practice with them when they first came out. Being the curious type, I took it apart to see how it was built. I also took a DIAD 4 apart in the office one evening to screw in a one of the scanner mounting screws that fell out.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014