who makes the best drivers?

S

serenity now

just to clarify: some of you saw this as veteran bashing * that was not the case at all; i actually have the deepest respect for veterans; especially Vietnam veterans who got such a raw deal (no welcome home, no respect, many have never been thanked and never will be)

i do have an issue with someone that continually brings up their veteran status (even out of context)
it's great that you are proud of your service, it's also great that public opinion now, allows you to be proud (alluding here to the Vietnam era again)

i simply believe there is a fine line between pride and arrogance

during the Vietnam years my lottery number was > than 350 ( in other words, The Golden Ticket ) * they would have drafted blind dogs and old ladies before it got down to me * one of our more recent Presidents would have sold his very soul for that number, however he later becomes Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces * see the irony there; crazy world *
anyway i suppose i could have volunteered, but instead i was simply thankful for that lucky draw (because that's all it was; a lucky draw)

i'm confident, though, that many of the flag wavers on BC facing the same set of circumstances (Vietnam years) would have done the honorable thing by going right down to the recruitment station and enlisting; but i didn't, and i can live with that.

all that said, i will close by saying sincerely: God bless all our veterans, including Dave

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
One thing I've noticed is that when someone says they were "in the military", nine times out of ten they were in the Air Force.

Overpaid Union Thug

One thing I've noticed is that when someone says they were "in the military", nine times out of ten they were in the Air Force.

​I say I was in the Air Force but not the military. LOL! Many of us current and former "Airmen" know that it is a joke among the other branches and for the most part it is kinda true. However, most of us, and the more informed among the other branches and those that never served, know that there is plenty of "military" about the Air Force. The Air Force has a rank structure and follows the UCMJ just like all of the other branches. Military discipline is definitely there.There is also marching but not as much of it. So, basically the Air Force IS "military" but not quite as strict. My problem with the AF is that it really doesn't need to be a separate branch. I huge percentage of all of the MOS's (AFSCs in Air Force terminology) only exist simply because the bases exist. Such as admin, medical, logistical, fire protection, police, etc.. Take away all of those and the jobs that are actually critical could be rolled back into the Army. Those jobs are definitely just as important as any that most people would consider "military", "gung ho", or "boots on the ground" type of jobs. The AF does actually have some of those too but not many.

Do I think my time in the AF helped me as a driver? Maybe a little. Only because I chose to continue following some of the things I learned in the AF. Their motto is "Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do." By sticking to that I do pretty good as a driver. I agree that there are some veterans that try and milk the status for all it's worth. But I think they are in the minority. I do believe that a veteran deserves at least a some consideration over others in certain situations but as far as applying things learned in the military towards a civilian job to make that person a better employee.....that depends entirely on the individual.

Also.....all my time as a part-timer did help prepare me for driving. I was never a preloader but I did double shift on preload quite a bit.

Last edited:

yeldarb

I know most of the worst one are the ones that get hired off the street. They always complain about getting screwed and often wind up quitting.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I know most of the worst one are the ones that get hired off the street. They always complain about getting screwed and often wind up quitting.

Ummm,,,34 1/2 years here, hired off the street.

I guess you could say retiring is quitting.

rocket man

This may be an absolute fluke but I've noticed that a majority of our drivers come from the preload.

Is your center the same different? Do u have an option as to why this may be?
LETS break this down i wonder how long you been with the company? get your head out of your ass where do you think drivers come from? 1 in 6 get hired off the street you have to be a nutty troll