Who reads? Name some of the best and latest books you have read.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I listen to books on my ipod while I work. I go through three or four a week. Hit the pause button when I get to a stop. I have nice speakers. Right now I'm reading all of the Dick Francis mysteries in order.
Dick Francis, another one of my favorites. Audio books are great.

P

pickup

I just picked this up at Border's and will start reading it tomorrow:

The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread: The Life and Times of BBAG

I like a well written piece of fiction.

Readers who have bought this book have also bought " The Many Incarnations of BBAG, a study in past lives " and also " Psychological Analysis of the Split Personalities of BBAG"

scoutjumper

Generation Kill by Evan Wright

Book covering his (Evan Wright, embedded reporter for Rolling Stones) journey with the 1st Recon Marines in Iraq 2003

There was a miniseries covering it on HBO last summer. Excellent all around.
Try One Bullet away by Nathinael Fick also House to House by David Bellavi

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just picked this up at Border's and will start reading it tomorrow:

The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread: The Life and Times of BBAG

I like a well written piece of fiction.

Readers who have bought this book have also bought " The Many Incarnations of BBAG, a study in past lives " and also " Psychological Analysis of the Split Personalities of BBAG"

I also recommend his personal favorite:

Child Support/Alimony For Dummies

P

pickup

I am currently reading Watchmen.

I don't read that many books anymore, but magazines? Too many. I subscribe to Road and Track, Car and Driver, Cycle World, Classic Motorcycle, Trains, and Classic Toy Trains. I also read the paper, just the front page, local and ED/OP sections. Than there are the political websites I read online. And then there of course is the BC.

If a graphic novel is your cup of tea (used to be mine) , may I suggest "Batman , the dark knight returns" , written in the mid 80s. It is the a story of Batman/ Bruce Wayne, and it starts about 10 years after he last wore the Batman costume. Retirement from the batman life is very rough on Bruce and as you may guess, he makes a comeback. If anyone enjoyed the last Batman movie, you will enjoy this graphic novel.

A

anonymous6

You know jon, before I was on the first page and saw this strange name jonfrum as being the latest poster and for some reason the name John Galt ran through my head. How strange that when I read your post, you would mention Atlas Shrugged.

audiobook : "The Fountainhead"
awesome

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If a graphic novel is your cup of tea (used to be mine) , may I suggest "Batman , the dark knight returns" , written in the mid 80s. It is the a story of Batman/ Bruce Wayne, and it starts about 10 years after he last wore the Batman costume. Retirement from the batman life is very rough on Bruce and as you may guess, he makes a comeback. If anyone enjoyed the last Batman movie, you will enjoy this graphic novel.
Along with "The Watchmen", Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" is pretty much the benchmark by which all other graphic novel are judged. In fact if I remember correctly the term "graphic novel" was coined because of those two works, because "comic book" didn't seem to do them justice. Frank Miller also wrote Sin City and The 300, so if you liked those movies it's pretty much a lock that you will like the works they were based on.

Pump Up The Volume

For the average joe
Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors and also USS Houston by James Hornfisher
are great stories of naval warfare in the south pacific during ww2
a little more advanced reading
Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer (The best I've read on 1776-1777)
The Discoverers by Daniel J. Boorstin (a great Princeton professor)
But if you have time to read start with the contract then mover on to workplace, state, and federal laws

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For the average joe:
Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors and also USS Houston by James Hornfisher
are great stories of naval warfare in the south pacific during ww2
a little more advanced reading
Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer (The best I've read on 1776-1777)
The Discoverers by Daniel J. Boorstin (a great Princeton professor)

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I also recommend his personal favorite:

Child Support/Alimony For Dummies

LMFAO! Classic! You should see what other hardships he has & poke at them for a while! Too Funny! Maybe he has had a death in the family recently, some other tragedy, bust on him about that! It would be a riot!

Go for it, UpState, You Da MAN! You are CLEARLY the BETTER man!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
LMFAO! Classic! You should see what other hardships he has & poke at them for a while! Too Funny! Maybe he has had a death in the family recently, some other tragedy, bust on him about that! It would be a riot!

Go for it, UpState, You Da MAN! You are CLEARLY the BETTER man!

dr_phil.jpg

UPSNewbie

Try One Bullet away by Nathinael Fick also House to House by David Bellavi

Thanks for reminding me. I was wanting to pick up Fick's book not too long ago. I'll do so in the next week or so. I'll also check out House by House.

Fick spoke at the DNC in Denver back in August. Some good words, though a crappy time slot.

spif91

"Between a Rock and a Hard Place". True story about a hiker that gets his arm caught in a rock crevise?in a cave and all he goes through for a week until he free's himself. Not saying how he does it. Can't remember the author off the top of my head. It's on iTunes.:sick:

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
If a graphic novel is your cup of tea (used to be mine) , may I suggest "Batman , the dark knight returns" , written in the mid 80s.

I have always wanted to read that.

I used to read a lot when I was in high school and college.

I love to read about dystopian futures; 1984 and Brave New World are two of my favorites.

I also was a big Hemingway fan.

I used to read a lot about the WW2 era.

spif91

Just finished listening to Bonemans Daughter.......really good read
Listened to One Second After last week.........interesting to think a nuclear explosion above the surface of the earth could really happen and cause so much damage and destruction...........

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I just started reading "Atlas Shrugged", by Ayn Rand. I have to report for jury duty tomorrow and I wanted something to keep me occupied for a while. I feel real guilty about sitting in the air conditioned courthouse instead of delivering out of my wonderful P-700:anxious:........"cough cough"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I just started reading "Atlas Shrugged", by Ayn Rand. I have to report for jury duty tomorrow and I wanted something to keep me occupied for a while. I feel real guilty about sitting in the air conditioned courthouse instead of delivering out of my wonderful P-700:anxious:........"cough cough"

Hope it's a long, drawn-out trial.