Who reads? Name some of the best and latest books you have read.

P

pickup

Atlas was a bit preachy for me.

Agreed! It seems Rand set up the opposing political philosophies and then created the characters to be mouthpieces for them. It is as if everytime a character spoke, he got on a soapbox and was giving a speech. Informative speech, yes, but way too long . I heard with her being dead, PobreCarlos and John Frum are writing the sequels:smart:

PobreCarlos

Unfortunately [he says mirthfully!], it's probably not the first time I've been considered as being the possible author of a Rand sequel. Among the incidents I cherish most is one that occurred on another board some time back in which one day one poster accused me of being a "Communist"...and the next day another poster called me a "Randian".

Informally changed the signature of my handle to "The Randian Communist" for several days thereafter. Must of had both Karl and Ayn disgustedly rolling in their graves.

JonFrum

Atlas Shrugged is sometimes called the "Bible" of Objectivism because of its preachiness. Rand's comprehensive philosophy of Objectivism is laid out in the novel, and illustrated by the actions of the characters and the consequences that flow from their actions. You can read her nonfiction to just get the philosophy, but by putting it in a novel she demostrates the philososophy in action and (I think) proves it with concrete illustrations. Many philosophers write books that may sound good on paper, Rand demonstrates her philosophy works in real life, and characters who think and act otherwise -- well -- get what's coming to them.

There's nothing wrong with preaching if what you're preaching is true. There's a 57 page long speach (!) John Galt delivers on the radio to the country in which he explains everything and puts all the bad guys in their place. It's worth its weight in gold. But yup, its preachy.

Concerning Anthem, there are other dystopias that illustrate the evils of various forms of Collectivism but Rand's, as usual, is not just interesting, it's True. For example, in the other novels, the Bad Guys run their societies successfully using whatever version of Totalitarianism they choose. The readers are misled into taking as a "given" that Totaltarianism works, albeit brutally. "They make the trains run on time." In Anthem, the totalitarians run a society that doesn't work. Everything has reverted to the lowest, most primitive state possible. That's the kind of insight you get with Rand. If society abandons reason, things don't work.

redshift1

Her Ideas made sense in an emerging industrial society but are anachronistic in today's global economy with over population and dwindling resources. Mark Levin (see demagogue) channels her philosophy in his new book L&T which appeals to the conservative base.

NHDRVR

Her Ideas made sense in an emerging industrial society but are anachronistic in today's global economy with over population and dwindling resources. Mark Levin (see demagogue) channels her philosophy in his new book L&T which appeals to the conservative base.

sounds like I need to read this.....thanks

What'dyabringmetoday???

I just finished Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. I had already heard much of the advice given here but had yet to see a step by step plan such as this one. It has inspired me to tackle my debt and I hope to be completely debt free (other than my mortgage) by Christmas 2010.
This is likely your BEST post ever on BrownCafe..........DUDE!:happy2: Couldn't resist that one, but hope you reach your goal. As much as I bust your nuggets I honestly hope you reach your goal. One trick I learned from a customer is to recycle those enclosed envelopes you get in all the junk mail. He crosses out the pre-printed address on the front and then writes the address he is sending his mail to on the back (where you seal it). Sounds cheesy, but there is some hillbilly advice on how to become debt-free. Good luck.

Tony31yrs

John Sandford's "Prey" Series, Robert Ludlum, Vince Flynn, Jeffrey Deaver. Just about any realistic fiction about detectives or espionage,ex-special forces, military.

sano

I just finished The Associate by John Grisham. Very good. Classic Grisham. Just a good legal thriller.
I think it is the best to come from Grisham's pen in a few years.
Based on the fact that I love Grisham's books, does anybody have other authors along the same line that I may enjoy?

sano

Just halfway through this book. Great read so far. Movie soon to follow I bet.
Here is a question for everyone.
If a book you have read gets made into a movie, do you go see the movie?
I tend not to. I am always disappointed when the directors portrait of the characters and plot don't match mine.

over9five

Staff member
I tend not to. I am always disappointed when the directors portrait of the characters and plot don't match mine.

Great question! Also, anyone want to name a great book that also made a great movie?

I think "Lord of the Rings" was an awesome trilogy that was also a great movie trilogy.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Probably the best movie adaptation of a book that I have seen recently was No Country for Old Men. I'm curious to see how The Road turns out on the big screen. I agree that more often than not Hollywood butchers the novel so I don't have high hopes.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I just finished The Associate by John Grisham. Very good. Classic Grisham. Just a good legal thriller.
I think it is the best to come from Grisham's pen in a few years.
Based on the fact that I love Grisham's books, does anybody have other authors along the same line that I may enjoy?

I like James Patterson & David Baldacci along with Grisham!

spif91

I just finished Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. I had already heard much of the advice given here but had yet to see a step by step plan such as this one. It has inspired me to tackle my debt and I hope to be completely debt free (other than my mortgage) by Christmas 2010.

Been on the plan for about a year.........it is amazing how much debt I have paid off.......got a ways to go