Who said peak wasn't coming this year?

tiegirl

tiegirl
?? Who said peak wasn't coming this year?

What center do you work out of?

3 weeks till Christmas and added 2 routes yesterday. That's actually significant considering they usually only run 15 or 16 at our center. But, they never hired any additional help or driver helpers here so there are going to be some late nights for some, including us on the sort. We basically stood around and twiddled our thumbs for an hour waiting for the first car to show up.

tiegirl

tiegirl
Answer Who said peak wasn't coming this year?

Senior Member? Would that describe you? You should have learned by now, UPS decides how and when things are done and we are just the ants that get the work done no matter how they give it to us.

Professional level studies of time management and productive at UPS producing stellar results.

If UPS is serving Vanilla today, I eat Vanilla. If they are serving chocolate chip tomorrow, I ear chocolate chip. Weather I like it or not.

All the complaining does not good because UPS will do it the way the deem to be the most productive. We cannot be in their mind to know how they think.

I just do my job, work on getting promoted and paid more and think where am I going on my next vacation.

It is all good. If you wanted to talk I could really tell you some employee horror stories I encountered and was not making enough to live. So, give me vanilla, strawberry or mint chocolate chip and I will try it all. Without complaint because without fail come payday, the check is there.

I hope your peak Christmas season gets a little easier for you. If it does not, so what it will be over soon.

Merry Christmas!:whiteflag:

I'm getting my but kicked out there. I have 1/2 business and 1/2 residential the other 11 months of the year. Now my businesses are getting twice as many pieces because of personal Christmas shopping at work and this is what's killing me. I'm finishing my businesses almost 2 hours later than normal. Add 130 stops to be done after 3 and I'm toast!

I was dispacthed with 170 stops today. In October I was sent out with 90-100. 170 is almost 2 days worth of work to me! I will credit my supervisor here (not the dispacth sup. the on-road) I have got help every day. I dumped 60 to a base-line route that has a helper and it took 15 minutes to transfer the work. My on-road is pissed that this work isn't just put on the route to begin with!

I don't think this guy has a clue. He sends the baseline (no pick-ups)under range with a helper and over dispatches me by 60 and I pick up 2-300 pieces and 30-60 airs every day. My boss critizes him everyday and the entire center hates him. Isn't the point to get the volume back to the hub ASAP?

Its unproductive for me to meet someone to dump 60 stops and 100 pieces when it can be done on the pre-load with the click of a button. Instead this idiot (who owns UPS stock but must not care) is wasting: 1) fuel for the drivers to meet, 2) labor at 42+/hour to transfer work and 3) labor again in having the baseline's helper twindle his thumbs for 15 minutes while we dig for packages.

All the dispatch sup. has to do is program the plan to put the work on the car in the first place by pre-loaders maiking $9.50/hour.

Its a wonder UPS makes money. Its a wonder that his superiors allow this to continue.

I don't want to be a manager, but if I was I would not tolerate this inefficency for 1 second. I don't understand why this is allowed to continue. Am I missing something?

I am pushed to meet production standards. My superiors would drool if I could produce another .25 stops/hour, but will allow 2 drivers and a helper to transfer work for 15 minutes wasting more than 45 minutes of delivery time? It just doesn't make any sense to me????

Anybody with a logical explination to this?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We had 2 extra rtes today, as well. I still had 136 stops/255 pkgs and didn't clock out until 8:20. On top of that add 27 reg. p/u acct's and a total of 99 pkgs. I actually had a jumper today with a diad that didn't have a single one of my streets in it. :biting:

Comet said it well....................."Season's Beatings".

pretender

We got slammed bad yesterday, and then it slacked back off today. Our IE gal missed one of our Center's forecast by 2200 stops. I knocked out 217 stops yesterday, and had 165 today. My maximum to stay at 9.5 is about 175.

I remember my busiest day last year was 261. Volume is definitely off compared to any other year I can remember. I find it interesting that drivers are flipping out with 200 stop days. I still remember my earlier years in a bricked out P600 with 350+ stops.....

Same situation here--One of our Center's forecast was off by 2000 stops. Here is a suggestion: Give these IE pinheads some Browns, and make them go out and help. After peak, they would be without a job--We can get along better without their forecasts. As long as I am dreaming, I would do away with bonus. We have the same handful of people coming in at 5:00pm everyday, because they "made bonus". Meanwhile, the rest of us feel lucky to sneak out before 8:00pm...

W

westsideworma

We are UP 5% over our numbers from this week last year.

Glad corporate knows whats going on!

We are out of package cars and drivers in worcester

they are building routes for supes....:whiteflag:

our stops were off by an extremely large margin as well though I don't know the exact number. I do know that my line is 1800 pieces heavier year to year.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
One of the guys in our center that has a P800 turned down a P1000 because he was worried that they would add more stops to a heavy route......

TB

uhhh...you know, he probably would have an easier day. Let's say he does 130 stops a day. He would have to do about 130 less 3 point turns in his day. :funny:

Must be delivering from a feeder with triples. lol

Last year I saw a driver delivering with a tractor and a pup with a stepladder.

Today was hell. Worked 9.5 hours,punched out,stopped at Portillos to pick up lunch for the wife and I,stopped at the video store for movies,and had to rush to make it home by noon so the food was hot. I don`t know how we get through peaks like this.

What'dyabringmetoday???

We are out of package cars and drivers in worcester

they are building routes for supes....:whiteflag:

our stops were off by an extremely large margin as well though I don't know the exact number. I do know that my line is 1800 pieces heavier year to year.
I think you should get with HR and suggest hiring more hourly folks. If supervisors need to go on the road, some hiring needs to be done. Same old story. I honestly believe this is the only company that is not aware when Christmas comes. You would think knowing this information would allow for a better plan, but seems many are surprised when peak rolls around. Where is all this volume coming from?? Oh well, I am having an easy peak on feeders. Come back empty every morning. Under 8 most days. :funny:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have the same handful of people coming in at 5:00pm everyday, because they "made bonus". Meanwhile, the rest of us feel lucky to sneak out before 8:00pm...

Go faster, make bonus, and join them for drinks at 5.

barnyard

KTM rider
Our center is 1000+ pieces a day over projection. Seems like 'black Monday' caught everyone by surprise, again.

I know that UPS spends a ton of time working on peak plans, yet they seem to consistently blow it.

I don't get it.

TB

ih8tbrn

Banned
Added 2 routes again today and everybody was still blown out. The last car got in 3 hours later than normal time. They actually pulled a couple guys from preload to help the guys with 195 stops.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Added 2 routes again today and everybody was still blown out. The last car got in 3 hours later than normal time. They actually pulled a couple guys from preload to help the guys with 195 stops.

They call these guys "helpers" and you can expect to see many more in the next 13 days.