Who will be left when so many leave?

overflowed

Planned or not this is not what they had in mind. They wanted to get rid of whomever. I don't think the people leaving are the ones they actually want gone. This will blow up in a very bad way. What problems will this cause? What say you? Let's hear it.

BulkRoute

The guys with 20+ years will stick it our for another 5-10 years because they are not on the crap portable pension. I think the ramp rats will keep moving up chasing the dream of breaking 30k a year only to realize they are being screwed with health care doubling in price over and over. They will quit only to have another AGFS employee step up to chase the lie. This will go on for at least another decade, and even then there will be someone who thinks its better than McDonald's. By then Ground will have sucked up 2 day, ES, and maybe even SO dels. Express will only have part timers to run FO, P1, and PUP routes. but then again, I think they will move the pups over to ground as well.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
As P.T. Barnum once said, 'There's a sucker born every minute'. FedEx will always get more suckers. A lot of them won't be very fluent in English. Personally, as a senior employee, I feel it's our job to open the eyes of the newbies.

SmithBarney

Express will become a revolving door job, just like walmart, or mcdonalds, it's unfortunate because while it's not a "SKILLED" (some people say) job
it requires a large investment by X of training, and takes a while for a new hire to reach optimum productivity. Most new hires don't last because it just doesn't pay.

bbsam

Staff member
They don't care who leaves, they want a reduced workforce. Couriers are not valued and the company continues to have faith that DRA can be made to work at an acceptable success rate. Yes, they will lose some good people but in time they will be replaced adequately. These are just speed bumps in getting where they are going. The company has been planning and moving in this direction for several years and I would guess have several backup plans ready to roll out if needed.

I was a contractor at Ground a few years ago. I had four contracted routes and a supplemental to clean up the mess. After nearly ten years, this "contractor in good standing" got shanked over accidents that my drivers had. I lost my insurance, and left mad as hell. Mad, because I gave a damn, even when I knew FEG was nothing like the RPS I had joined years before.
And what happened?
Not a damn thing. Like zombies stepping over the newly decapitated corpses of their comrades, the march continued. There will always be some one to take your job. Walk away from the tables, lads.....you can't win this game.

hypo hanna

Ever increasing turnover with drivers incapable of doing anything outside of what DRA tells them to do. Meaning customer service will go to crap any time there is the slightest hiccup in the system. Late freight, traffic, weather, vehicle breakdowns, dads software crashes, injuries, flu epidemics. Customers who bother to stick around will have to get used late deliveries, late pickups and misrouted, misdelivered packages.

hypo hanna

The wheel will keep on turning. The company will adapt. No bubbles no troubles.

I think it will be a much smaller market share of the overnight freight. Most customers are not going to pay for that kind of sketchy service. They will be jumping to UPS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The wheel will keep on turning. The company will adapt. No bubbles no troubles.

Of course, you and bbsam are going to say that because things are all rainbows and unicorns over at Ground now. Fred has been wiping his ass with Express employees for years, and they are finally revolting. At Ground, your crappy service and parolee employees are good enough.Fred thinks Express customers will accept that same lackadaisical commitment. Maybe, but maybe not.

bbsam

Staff member
Don't be stupid. Fred has been selling Ground alongside Express for years. The customers are much the same. Fred will do what he must for the niche that needs some special attention. For the rest, Ground suffices and thrives. You have placed your hopes in the IBT, lawyers, and now in the hopes that customers revolt. Your fellow couriers have nowhere near the fortitude to fight Fred so that is what you are left hoping for. All evidence suggests you hopes and dreams will continue to fall flat.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Don't be stupid. Fred has been selling Ground alongside Express for years. The customers are much the same. Fred will do what he must for the niche that needs some special attention. For the rest, Ground suffices and thrives. You have placed your hopes in the IBT, lawyers, and now in the hopes that customers revolt. Your fellow couriers have nowhere near the fortitude to fight Fred so that is what you are left hoping for. All evidence suggests you hopes and dreams will continue to fall flat.

Another self-serving statement. We'll see what happens.

SmithBarney

Here is where UPS and Express differ, UPS strives to retain CAREER drivers who are able to work effectively when the "machine" breaks.

FedEx could care less when the "machine" breaks, We don't even have DRA, but we have the lil yellow stickers, we have couriers with 10-15yrs
experience and when roads "goes down" they can't figure out the splits on the belt. You get what you pay for.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ever increasing turnover with drivers incapable of doing anything outside of what DRA tells them to do. Meaning customer service will go to crap any time there is the slightest hiccup in the system. Late freight, traffic, weather, vehicle breakdowns, dads software crashes, injuries, flu epidemics. Customers who bother to stick around will have to get used late deliveries, late pickups and misrouted, misdelivered packages.
I hope then customers will leave in droves. Fred deserves it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes we will. However, we have been here for quite some time and we have already seen what happens.

Maybe, but Express depends a lot more on competent employees than Ground. Your parolees are tasked rather simply in comparison to the average Express courier. Fred's actions indicate that he thinks both are just about the same people doing the same job, so we'll see if customers dump Express in favor of UPS. I totally agree with fredly00's observation that the difference between a UPS "professional" and what FedEx is now offering, is pretty big. You absolutely DO get what you pay for, so Express customers can expect poor service most of the time from employees who deliver the level of customer care that reflects low pay, no respect, and crap benefits. Perhaps shippers paying a couple of hundred dollars (or more) for their shipment have a right to expect better. We've already seen the way Express blows-off FO, which is the highest-cost, earliest service that they offer. I have personally seen customers beet-red with anger over getting their 0800 "FO" along with the rest of their P1, usually because it was something crucial to their business. Fred doesn't care, and neither do most of his employees. Plus, that business won't go to Ground, it will go to UPS, because Ground cannot even come close to offering it. Wait and see.

hypo hanna

I believe this will affect you too BB. FedEx sells it a suite of services. Express, ground, heavyweight custom critical. They have enough issues with one and they drop the rest. If UPS offers better overnight service your Ground operation could be collateral damage.