Who would be at fault!

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
As many of you know I am delivering at a college. Well the regular driver is back from vacation and yesterday i was on the split car from one of the colleges. I was delivering to one of the mail rooms at one college and had 3 boxes of wine (monavie to be exact) that was to be delivered to 3 different people at this certain dorm. Of course when i delivered them to the mail room lady the diad prompted me to check identification to make sure the person recieving this is over 21. Well this lady at the mail room was older than dirt so their was no need to ask for her identification. Which made me wonder........
I am pretty sure the the college student that is getting the wine is not 21. Since I released the wine to a 3rd party am i released of liability if the underage student gets drunk off the wine and gets hurt? Or is liability put on the mailroom lady?
:peaceful:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
first off, you have no liability if you followed the instructions onthe package/diad prompt. ups would be the ones on the hook.

as for the end user, how do you know they are not 21?

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Monavie is not wine

That was my first thought but why did the DIAD prompt for an adult signature?

Cobra raises a good point. Do we have secondary liability if a package which requires an adult signature is properly signed for and then handed to a minor long after we have completed the delivery?

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
well if it is not wine, i still get a prompt to check identification. Dont know what the prompt is for if it is not wine......For the sake of arguement lets say it is wine.

drewed

Shankman
this is a tough situation
but id have to say no, because as long as they had a credit card and had someone older to sign for it.
The liability would be for the person signing for it....
but that raises the question, what kind of teenager gets drunk off wine? lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

this is a tough situation
but id have to say no, because as long as they had a credit card and had someone older to sign for it.
The liability would be for the person signing for it....
but that raises the question, what kind of teenager gets drunk off wine? lol

Teenagers who go to Ivy League schools.

browniehound

I have a question. What exactly is Moavie? Is it grape juice? It looks like a bottle of wine to me, but I always DR it anyway:happy-very:. If its out of sight and weather, I leave it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If a clerk sales a case of beer to a legal adult who hands it over to a kid, the clerk does not get in trouble.

Unless the clerk sees the kids in the parking lot waiting for the guy to come out with their beer.

I have a friend who manages a convenience store and they are told that if a group comes in to puchase beer than they must check the IDs of everyone in the group, not only the one making the purchase.

drewed

Shankman
Unless the clerk sees the kids in the parking lot waiting for the guy to come out with their beer.

I have a friend who manages a convenience store and they are told that if a group comes in to puchase beer than they must check the IDs of everyone in the group, not only the one making the purchase.

Yea, our liqour stores have cameras in the parking lot and asks what care your in (if theres suspicion)

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
well if it is adult sig req you need to take it to the person who orderd it and if its a dorm or an apt you need a room number or letter ......... I think it would be your fault becase your only suppose to deliver to the person on the pkg plus if they put a tracer on the pkg saying they never got it and found out that someone in the mailroom signed for it then your center manager would be breathing down your neck

I leave wine with the concierge at large condos and mail rooms at companies, but wouldn't leave with a mail room person at a college dorm.

over9five

Staff member
well if it is adult sig req you need to take it to the person who orderd it

I'd agree with that. If you get an adult signature/over 21 prompt, doesn't it also say "no alternate delivery", or something? You [-]couldn't[/-] shouldn't deliver it to a mail room.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have always been told that we cannot indirect an adult sig req. It has to be signed for by the person that it is addressed to. If it is a resi then I will accept a spouses sig and if it is a business then I accept a secretaries sig., but I do not indirect to a neighbor (res or bus).