Whodunnit: Express or Ground?

bbsam

Staff member
Could companies simply up the compensation? Once they do, there is no going back. I am intrigued to see where all this will lead.
Sure they could. Look at how well corporations have done in the last 5 years. Fact is they won't pay more than they have to to move products. If there were truly a shortage, they are in a position to make any change necessary and do so incrementally so as to not give too much too soon.

CJinx

The MT3 accusation was never proven/disproven. I happen to think he's commuting to Chicago. I'm amazed that someone who works for Ground is so clueless about the OTR driver shortage since that directly affects Ground line-haul. Maybe you need to do some research instead of spouting misinformation.
Maybe you ought to take your own advice. Ground's issue last year was that there was insufficient assets and personnel in-house to handle line-haul operations, not across the industry.
One would think that an ISP would be knowledgeable about trucking. Guess not.
Sometimes I wonder why you waste your time here and with fedex when you could be some hotshot financial or stock analyst somewhere, making many times your current salary and fully utilizing your incredible skills of sniffing out corporate tom-foolery and mismanagement. But then I remember that you're just a disgruntled courier with an axe to grind. Oops.

bbsam

Staff member
No, they won't let profits sit on the sideline. In fact, they increase them by sacrificing a little transit time for a cheaper alternative: rail. Hence why now I spot an occasional FedEx trailer on a train (although I usually see a Freight trailer, but have seen some Grounds, too).

Its not new. Ground has used rail for years.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe you ought to take your own advice. Ground's issue last year was that there was insufficient assets and personnel in-house to handle line-haul operations, not across the industry.
Sometimes I wonder why you waste your time here and with fedex when you could be some hotshot financial or stock analyst somewhere, making many times your current salary and fully utilizing your incredible skills of sniffing out corporate tom-foolery and mismanagement. But then I remember that you're just a disgruntled courier with an axe to grind. Oops.

Industry-wide shortage, and it's been this way for several years. The improving economy has only made it worse. Sorry that you are so ignorant about the trucking industry. Ground's issue all the time is mistreatment of employees and ultra-low wages.

Groundkills

Fedex Ground Courier. The Fedex Ground division is killing the Fedex brand. The company executives are letting this happen too! They are pushing ground all the time. All they talk fabout is the domestic yield on ground versus express. They have sales reps in our Express stations and locations looking for leads. Any lead they are given is pushed as a ground lead. The retention rate at Fedex Ground is only 10% over the first year of employment. Only 6% over two years of employment. Fedex ground is destroying the Fedex brand. The Ground business model is a loose win situation. It only benefits executives and upper management and shareholders. All of which do nothing for the companies bottom line, or overall stability. They are all like vampires. Look at most complaints online in relation to Fedex. Ie facebook, youtube, whatever. The majority of complaints and claims all relate to the Ground division. Again the Ground division is killing the Fedex brand.

bbsam

Staff member
So how would THAT benefit the trucking industry?

same way any company doesn't have to stock every widget they sell. If they know they can satisfy demand quickly, why stock them all. If a trucking company knows it can experience a certain amount of turnover they won't change their policies. If the industry can pump out enough drivers from schools fast enough, then as far as the industry is concerned there is no shortage.

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

What kind of education do I need to sit at a desk fixing 02's on Direct TV boxes 8 hours a day? I heard the field is booming.
​ZING ZING

CJinx

What kind of education do I need to sit at a desk fixing 02's on Direct TV boxes 8 hours a day? I heard the field is booming.
​ZING ZING
None, just have to be smarter than the drivers... Not that they set the bar very high to begin with. The ability to use a phone puts me head and shoulders above most of them as well.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
None, just have to be smarter than the drivers... Not that they set the bar very high to begin with. The ability to use a phone puts me head and shoulders above most of them as well.

You seem to be able to spell too. This puts you at the slightly-above box monkey level.