Who's Stupid Idea Was "Stops Per Car"?

deleted9

I have been with UPS for 25 years. We are running fewer routes now than we were when I was hired.

I am not a complainer. I have a degree in Business Administration. There is nothing UPS can ask me to do that I can't handle.

That doesn't mean that I don't question some of their policies.

Do you remember the push for remote deliveries? We were forced to leave packages in the building each day to meet a set number.

Or how about the self directed work groups? That idea also was abandoned.

Just because you were managemnet doesn't make you the only one who cares about the direction of the company.

Your know-it all attitude pisses me off.

Only 25 try 36 here, one thing we agree on I think ups has made some bad decisions also, but to survive in the business world you have to try different things, a big problem is most people are afraid and do not like change so they rebel. I do not know it all never said I did but but being with the company for more than 1/3 of it's existence I have seen and been through more than most. By the way I respect your 25 years of service.

Only 25 try 36 here, one thing we agree on I think ups has made some bad decisions also, but to survive in the business world you have to try different things, a big problem is most people are afraid and do not like change so they rebel. I do not know it all never said I did but but being with the company for more than 1/3 of it's existence I have seen and been through more than most. By the way I respect your 25 years of service.
it's hard to tell when you discount him with a statement like "only 25years try 36". So you have eleven more years you are a genius. This is how your posts come across like you are a know it all.

deleted9

it's hard to tell when you discount him with a statement like "only 25years try 36". So you have eleven more years you are a genius. This is how your posts come across like you are a know it all.

i do not think anyone will dispute that 11 years at ups is like a lifetime in other jobs and companies.
by the way i already had 4 weeks vacation before he even started.LOL meant that as a funny

i do not think anyone will dispute that 11 years at ups is like a lifetime in other jobs and companies.
by the way i already had 4 weeks vacation before he even started.LOL meant that as a funny
the man has 25 years and you think your above him because of your 11 more. You sounds like a great boss.

deleted9

the man has 25 years and you think your above him because of your 11 more. You sounds like a great boss.

I did my job........ thats really all that mattered, when you can claim that you have been with ups for more than 1/3 of a century, let me know, sounds like you struggle to make the next day. Good luck and thanks

I did my job........ thats really all that mattered, when you can claim that you have been with ups for more than 1/3 of a century, let me know, sounds like you struggle to make the next day. Good luck and thanks

Since you retired everyone is day to day at the new Ups. Not just Teamsters but center manager onroad hub dm's and anybody. If youve been gone for a while like I assume by your posts your just out of touch. God bless you and your family in your retirement.

Re-Raise

The topic of this thread was the increase in stops per car and the cutting of routes that has been the result.

At my center we have eliminated routes in the last year that no one would have believed could be cut a year ago.

2units maybe we can find some common ground and just agree to disagree on some things.

We are both proud to have worked a long time for UPS. I am also a stock holder..pre IPO also (OPL too) so we both want to see the company be successful.

I will concede that it is in the company's best interest to get as much productivity as possible from the employees. PAS/EDD has been a great change and I will admit I can accomplish a lot more now as a driver since it was implemented.

Now on to some things we seem to disagree on.

If each route were in a metro area bordering on each other cutting 20 stops to the route next to it might make perfect sense. Unfortunately my route and the one next to it cover three counties, not streets. It is costing miles and $$ at our center but our managemnet team says they must follow the plan.

You called me a complainer for pointing out that it wasn't working for us, and questioning the policy. My driver group includes some of the hardest working people I know.

Surely after 31 years with the company you have some respect for the people who deliver the packages.

You are retired but we deal with the reality of it every day.

deleted9

The topic of this thread was the increase in stops per car and the cutting of routes that has been the result.

At my center we have eliminated routes in the last year that no one would have believed could be cut a year ago.

2units maybe we can find some common ground and just agree to disagree on some things.

We are both proud to have worked a long time for UPS. I am also a stock holder..pre IPO also (OPL too) so we both want to see the company be successful.

I will concede that it is in the company's best interest to get as much productivity as possible from the employees. PAS/EDD has been a great change and I will admit I can accomplish a lot more now as a driver since it was implemented.

Now on to some things we seem to disagree on.

If each route were in a metro area bordering on each other cutting 20 stops to the route next to it might make perfect sense. Unfortunately my route and the one next to it cover three counties, not streets. It is costing miles and $$ at our center but our managemnet team says they must follow the plan.

You called me a complainer for pointing out that it wasn't working for us, and questioning the policy. My driver group includes some of the hardest working people I know.

Surely after 31 years with the company you have some respect for the people who deliver the packages.

You are retired but we deal with the reality of it every day.

I dealt with reality also for a long time, I understand that adding an additional 40 businesses to a route might not be a good decision. The PDS supervisor is responsible for for creating a workable dispatch for the drivers. That supervisor is responsible to insure the drivers are given the opportunity to be successful on the road with both service to the customers and best possible performance of the drivers. Years ago we had no idea what kind of volume was coming into the preload every night. There was volume estimates but that's all they were. Today they know how much volume and stops are arriving hours and hours before the preloaded even starts. Adjustments need to be made by the PDA supervisor so there is a workable dispatch on the road. Sorry I was long winded. And I really do respect your years.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
so you worked at ups for 36 yrs and retired early huh.....

Re-Raise

I dealt with reality also for a long time, I understand that adding an additional 40 businesses to a route might not be a good decision. The PDS supervisor is responsible for for creating a workable dispatch for the drivers. That supervisor is responsible to insure the drivers are given the opportunity to be successful on the road with both service to the customers and best possible performance of the drivers. Years ago we had no idea what kind of volume was coming into the preload every night. There was volume estimates but that's all they were. Today they know how much volume and stops are arriving hours and hours before the preloaded even starts. Adjustments need to be made by the PDA supervisor so there is a workable dispatch on the road. Sorry I was long winded. And I really do respect your years.

How long have you been retired? This really has only been a problem for my center within the last year.

Of course we always made adjustments before based on volume, but we seemed to have more local control.

The problem now is that they are told how many routes we can run in advance each day of the following week based on projections from IE based on last year.

Then when we are blown out they say sorry but volume came in higher than the projections.

They then wave goodbye as we deal with the mess and they retreat to the office to gloat about how high their stops per car were on the conference call.

Maybe we just disagree because you don't think there is a point where a driver can have too much.

Do you think 9 hours on average... or even 10 hours might be too much. And don't try to compare it to hours in the office because if you were a driver for any period of time then you know that it isn't the same.

deleted9

How long have you been retired? This really has only been a problem for my center within the last year.

Of course we always made adjustments before based on volume, but we seemed to have more local control.

The problem now is that they are told how many routes we can run in advance each day of the following week based on projections from IE based on last year.

Then when we are blown out they say sorry but volume came in higher than the projections.

They then wave goodbye as we deal with the mess and they retreat to the office to gloat about how high their stops per car were on the conference call.

Maybe we just disagree because you don't think there is a point where a driver can have too much.

Do you think 9 hours on average... or even 10 hours might be too much. And don't try to compare it to hours in the office because if you were a driver for any period of time then you know that it isn't the same.

A mgr has to take responsibility for their operation both good and bad. Years ago the operation would tell the IE dept what they need now it has changed to the IE dept telling the operation what to do. The operation is the core of the business and the staff functions are support functions. I always operated that it is my operation and if i am responsible for it i make the decisions. Yes i followed the instructions i was dictated, but i made decisions to adjust routes and spc as necessary depending on what was necessary to service the customers and i was able to give the reasons why. The next day i either took the praise if the results were good and took the heat if it was bad.I always felt that if i am responsible for an operation i was going to run it my way( of course within the proper guidelines), and if someone else was going to tell me what to do then they can be held responsible for the outcome not me. I must have done something right because i made it to the finish line.

Re-Raise

A mgr has to take responsibility for their operation both good and bad. Years ago the operation would tell the IE dept what they need now it has changed to the IE dept telling the operation what to do. The operation is the core of the business and the staff functions are support functions. I always operated that it is my operation and if i am responsible for it i make the decisions. Yes i followed the instructions i was dictated, but i made decisions to adjust routes and spc as necessary depending on what was necessary to service the customers and i was able to give the reasons why. The next day i either took the praise if the results were good and took the heat if it was bad.I always felt that if i am responsible for an operation i was going to run it my way( of course within the proper guidelines), and if someone else was going to tell me what to do then they can be held responsible for the outcome not me. I must have done something right because i made it to the finish line.

I guess you got along by ignoring the questions that are asked and turning the conversation into a soliloquy on your many achievements.

How long have you been retired?

How many hours a day should drivers be dispatched with to increase your perceived savings for the company? DIAD messages included.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
this shows me you have no idea about the current state of operations,, be glad you got out when you did

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dealt with reality also for a long time, I understand that adding an additional 40 businesses to a route might not be a good decision. The PDS supervisor is responsible for for creating a workable dispatch for the drivers. That supervisor is responsible to insure the drivers are given the opportunity to be successful on the road with both service to the customers and best possible performance of the drivers. .

Incorrect.

The PDS supervisor is responsible for one thing alone....to generate the stops-per-car metric that is being demanded by an unaccountable idiot sitting in a cubicle someplace.

Core issues such as service, safety and adherence to the labor agreement are nothing but irrelevant details. It doesnt matter whether the "plan" succeeds or fails miserably as long as the SPC metric is met.

pretzel_man

Incorrect.

The PDS supervisor is responsible for one thing alone....to generate the stops-per-car metric that is being demanded by an unaccountable idiot sitting in a cubicle someplace.

Core issues such as service, safety and adherence to the labor agreement are nothing but irrelevant details. It doesnt matter whether the "plan" succeeds or fails miserably as long as the SPC metric is met.

There are about 1,300 centers in the United States. This week I was in 3 of them. In the last month I visited about 10.

Maybe the process you outline is how your center works. Maybe its your perception of how it works. I don't know.

I do know that it didn't work that way in any of the centers I visited. I speak with both management and drivers when I visit so I do not think my viewpoint is one sided.

Are there problems? Absolutely... But not due to a metric created by some idiot.

The dispatch was not the result of an "unaccountable idiot sitting in a cubicle someplace."

In all cases it was the Division Manager calling the shots. I have yet to find a division manager who said he / she was putting out the wrong number of cars because someone else said he / she had to.

Its one thing to describe how your center works. Its another to say that this is how all of UPS works. There are 1,299 other centers.

P-Man

Re-Raise

There are about 1,300 centers in the United States. This week I was in 3 of them. In the last month I visited about 10.

UPS pays you to go around and visit centers to do what? If you didn't "visit" a center one day could we pay a driver to actually deliver that day?

The problem isn't that they use Stops Per Car as a metric, the problem is the fact that they just increase the target number generated by an "uaccountable idiot sitting in a cubicle someplace" and we have to make it work.

If they were just making the adjustments to keep all the drivers over the 8 hr guarantee , NO ONE would have a problem with it.