Who's the idiot at UPS who came up with the stretching techniques?

watdaflock?

I was told not to bend and lean over to stretch my back this am. My PT sup gave me some sheet with a stretch of a dude with his hands on his hips leaning backwards (against the spines natural curve) as the proper stretching technique.

All I could do was laugh and mumble "dumbest gosh darn thing yet at UPS"

Heard later our proper stretching changed a while back? We used to be allowed to bend at the waist to stretch our backs but some :censored2: now says it's no longer "proper" stretching.

I'd like to really meet the decision maker.....

The demonstration is correct than the way that you are thinking the proper form for stretching your back is. "Keep the natural curve of the back."

9.5er

That's funny. Our stretch this morning consisted of raising our hands over our head and then touching our toes. Only PCM we have had all week. I guess Friday is as good a day as any.

newfie

I was told not to bend and lean over to stretch my back this am. My PT sup gave me some sheet with a stretch of a dude with his hands on his hips leaning backwards (against the spines natural curve) as the proper stretching technique.

Heard later our proper stretching changed a while back? We used to be allowed to bend at the waist to stretch our backs but some :censored2: now says it's no longer "proper" stretching.

I wonder if any of the stretching classes have led to injuries.

I keep hoping they'll let me stay in the building and stretch for 8 hours. best paid work at ups.

don't know how I did the double quote but its kind of cool.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Not long ago I watched a warm-up PCM that included jumping jacks. Change flying, guts protruding, shirts un-tucking, arms and legs flailing about randomly. Thought for sure someone was gonna tear a hammy.

watdaflock?

If it's morning and you just got up you'll want to do what they showed. Your spine decompressed a lot while you lay flat and is very vulnerable for awhile until compressed back to it's normal range.

Yea ok. Explain how this is suppose to stretch your lower back.....?
BackExtensions.jpg

Me gently and slowly bending and allowing myself to naturally hang is the only option for properly stretching, unless UPS wants to spend the $$ on floor mats so we can fully stretch.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Sounds like they're half-assed rolling out the dynamic stretching. About 80 percent of the guys here do it at pcm. The rest of us just stare and shake our heads.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yea ok. Explain how this is suppose to stretch your lower back.....?
BackExtensions.jpg

Me gently and slowly bending and allowing myself to naturally hang is the only option for properly stretching, unless UPS wants to spend the $$ on floor mats so we can fully stretch.
Are u deaf or dumb? I told you what it does.

Rainman

Its all good.
The older you get, the more you appreciate the benefits of stretching. I am naturally pretty limber. When I ran track and cross country in high school, stretching never did much for me. It was almost like a joke.
Now since I've had disk issues, I sometimes do things to stretch on my own. My legs cramp up like they haven't done in years, and I can't just lean over and put my palms on the floor easily like I used to.
Some people are fortunate to be flexible enough so that stretching doesn't do much. I know that in my case it has value and could prevent an injury it re injury.

watdaflock?

Are u deaf or dumb? I told you what it does.

I must be deaf because I'm surely not dumb. Only thing dumb is your response about compressed spines and how it relates to stretching your lower back.

If it's morning and you just got up you'll want to do what they showed. Your spine decompressed a lot while you lay flat and is very vulnerable for awhile until compressed back to it's normal range.

Ps never have done. Group "stretch"

So bending backwards will help with decompressed back. Got it. Where did you hear this info, anyways?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The older you get, the more you appreciate the benefits of stretching. I am naturally pretty limber. When I ran track and cross country in high school, stretching never did much for me. It was almost like a joke.
Now since I've had disk issues, I sometimes do things to stretch on my own. My legs cramp up like they haven't done in years, and I can't just lean over and put my palms on the floor easily like I used to.
Some people are fortunate to be flexible enough so that stretching doesn't do much. I know that in my case it has value and could prevent an injury it re injury.
You are just as flexible as the day you were born. The pain you feel is just your brain saying. I don't remember this position. Flexibility is taught nothing more nothing less.