Who's the idiot at UPS who came up with the stretching techniques?

watdaflock?

^totally agree that cold stretching is not good. That's why I originally said you bend gently and slowly. Never force a stretch.

As for "recently rolled out of bed" no. I've been up for at least one hour and moved around some.
Either I'm allowed to gently stretch before work or I'd need to arrive 20 minutes early just so I can go for a walk....I'll stick to my gently stretching.

watdaflock?

Read up on it it's pretty cool.

It's why drunk ppl often survive crashes when sober ppl don't.

Drunks survive crashes because they don't go tense at the time of impact, nothing to do with losing flexibility as we get older.

You can't fight age. Our metabolisms get slower as we age. Many have some sort of arthritis. We all will have muscle atrophy.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Drunks survive crashes because they don't go tense at the time of impact, nothing to do with losing flexibility as we get older.
Yes it is Dude I'm serious. There are studies. Google it.

The actual muscle fibers in a 90 year old are no less elastic than the day they were born. You tense up and feel pain because your brain senses a position it doesn't recognize. Nothing else.

Packmule

I love how they make such a fuss over the possibility of a driver straining a muscle, but 3/4 of their management people are a walking heart attack waiting to happen.
If they really cared about any of their people they'd offer discount gym memberships with decent prizes for logged hours. Maybe a new bbq grill! Lol

watdaflock?

Yes it is Dude I'm serious. There are studies. Google it.

The actual muscle fibers in a 90 year old are no less elastic than the day they were born. .
Bull:censored2:.

What would you use as a search?

If I use "do muscles lose elasticity as we age" everything shows I'm right.

(Just to add a few...)
http://health.usnews.com/health-new...8/09/04/how-to-avoid-losing-muscle-as-you-age
http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/improve-muscle-elasticity-6871.html

http://www.longestlife.com/ebook/change.html

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00191

http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/agingex/agingex.html

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I love how they make such a fuss over the possibility of a driver straining a muscle, but 3/4 of their management people are a walking heart attack waiting to happen.
If they really cared about any of their people they'd offer discount gym memberships with decent prizes for logged hours. Maybe a new bbq grill! Lol
100% agree. All UPS buildings can't have workout and laundry facilities in them like the corporate office does but one would think local HR departments would be charged with arranging similar services for employees.

watdaflock?

100% agree. All UPS buildings can't have workout and laundry facilities in them like the corporate office does but one would think local HR departments would be charged with arranging similar services for employees.
Maybe our union should get us all basic memberships to the ymca instead of constantly filling our mailboxes with their ridiculous propaganda.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Keep in mind the sarcastic statement "if it's on the internet it must be true"

I don't care how they manipulate their information, a 90 year old is not as flexible as when they were born.
I don't blame you for being ignorant I blame you for not trying to learn.
This stuff isn't exactly common knowledge.

Think about it a dead body weather 1 or 90 can move in basically any way. The brain is the limiting factor. Not the muscles.

watdaflock?

LOL

"Your current limit of flexibility is a self-imposed point. When unconscious, we are all capable of full splits, yet when awake our bodies sense impending danger to the muscles lengthening beyond this preconceived point and begin to tense up to prevent injury. That stiffness you feel when you stretch is all in your head and totally created by you. At extreme ranges the opposite will happen and the muscles will go completely slack. This action – the removal of all tension – is to allow the muscle to be as loose as possible and avoid further injury."

Funniest part of your link. Totally not true.

Rainman

Its all good.
You are just as flexible as the day you were born. The pain you feel is just your brain saying. I don't remember this position. Flexibility is taught nothing more nothing less.
Once you've been there you will find out differently. Life lessons teach you more than any book. Physical changes on your body over a period of years, including injuries, alter abilities like the ability to stretch and move like you used to.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I was told not to bend and lean over to stretch my back this am. My PT sup gave me some sheet with a stretch of a dude with his hands on his hips leaning backwards (against the spines natural curve) as the proper stretching technique.

All I could do was laugh and mumble "dumbest gosh darn thing yet at UPS"

Heard later our proper stretching changed a while back? We used to be allowed to bend at the waist to stretch our backs but some :censored2: now says it's no longer "proper" stretching.

I'd like to really meet the decision maker.....
Who cares, that's your morning comedy session at work with them idiots lol.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yea ok. Explain how this is suppose to stretch your lower back.....?
BackExtensions.jpg

Me gently and slowly bending and allowing myself to naturally hang is the only option for properly stretching, unless UPS wants to spend the $$ on floor mats so we can fully stretch.

looks like the classic "yes --a bj would be nice" position.