Whos voting "No", and why?

F

feedrman73

I am voting no for several reasons. The first is the fact that part-time employees will still be starting at 8.50 an hour in 2008; This will severly lower the quality of employees willing to work at UPS. Remember all our full-time service providers come from this pool of part-time employees. Also there is a huge loophole that allows UPS logistics to double breast. We have lost hundreds of feeder jobs to logistics already. If you think this does not affect you it will. This forces feeder drivers to bump back to package and package drivers to bump back to 2part-time. Also if volume drops 2% the company does not have to honor the full time jobs agreement. Progression was increased to 30 months for full time and 3 years for part-time to get an option day. These were huge consessions and I can't see why we gave these. My supplement has 3 to 5 less days off than any other I have seen along with no paid break for full-time employees. We also have language which allows part-time cover drivers to drive feeder runs for years without gaining seniority. The 9.5 language was also weak.

F

feedrman73

I doubt very seriously that the contract will be voted down. However, it is important to note that if it happened there would not be a strike. The company and union would simply find out what went wrong and work to fix it. Both sides would be way to embarrassed to allow a work stoppage. I do hope however that the Southern supplement is voted down. I have seen around 20 different supplements and the Southern is by far the worse.

R

rckfrd98

Reading all of these complaints is enough to make a person sick! UPS is a great company to work for. My father was in management and now I am married to a feederdriver. I have seen and lived both sides of the fence. You all need to stop looking for more, quit whinning and be thankful you have a job. If you think you can do better somewhere else, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

D

deliver_man

You all need to stop looking for more, quit whinning and be thankful you have a job.
That's just brilliant. I am truly at a loss for words. You should be on the company's negotiating team.

S

sendagain

It's true that the part-timers are getting screwed, but you can't put on full time employees when there's no growth. No growth means no new positions. I'd be happy to get out of the way but the company's best employees are often the old guys, the young guys all want retirement routes after a few years. Giving the old dogs early outs would probably ruin the production in a lot of centers. Looking at the businesses I deliver to that have lost many employees to layoffs, we should take this offer and hope for brighter days ahead. If you think the company is getting too sweet a deal, then start buying stock and maybe you can make up some losses in the profit of the company. We are doing pretty well in a horrible economic climate , so let's not sink one of the few boats that's still making headway.

P

proups

I have not seen one good reason on this thread to make me vote no.

More time with family: work faster, and go home earlier. Don't give me that bull about "if you come in early the next day they will load you up". They only load you up if you keep letting them. I have found that having a reasonable conversation with my Sup keeps me from getting "loaded up".

Hoffa is shady: What does he have to gain except losing the next election? Also, ask the PRINTERS why we can't have the contract prior to 7/31. The union prints the contract for us.

Air employees: out of touch with reality...the ground business. You think you are worth so much money. Guess who picks up and delivers all those packages that enables you to work at UPS? It sure isn't a pilot or airplane mechanic.

Sorters with no sort pay: Do you take sort tests as a conditon of employment? If not, you don't "do sorts".

feederman: you may have a point about the part-timers starting at $8.50 in 2008.

rkfrd98 and sendagain: you said it best. I'm working to get my route back to normal by getting my customers back. The job is great, the pay is good, and I make plenty of time for my family.

I'm voting yes.

D

deliver_man

I am waiting to get my copy, but I will probably vote yes. Overall it seems like a good contract. Could we have done better? Yeah, probably, if we had negotiated right down to the wire we likely would have wrung a few more concessions from the company (this is the 1st time in my memory that the contract has been settled early), but I am really not sure that it would have been worth it.

B

badhab1

Other than the fact that I was in management for over 28 years and am now retired, I plan to vote yes on the proposed contract. Guess I won't have a ballot mailed to the house.

U

upsdawg

I think that JFK would say--ask not what your company can do for you but ask what can you do for your company. Let's start putting our efforts into getting all of those packages back that our competitors took from us by offering special contracts to our customers because they were only going to handle "THEIR" customers packages when UPS went out on strike--now alot of those customers are locked into those contracts for a few more months. Let's work at getting our volume back, which mean more union jobs!!

E

eddie138301

If you like getting harrassed by management because of over allowed hours, vote yes on the contract. If you like working forced overtime all the time and not spending time with your family, vote yes on the contract. money is not everything.

We should have had 25 and out on this contract. no if's about it.

If you want to put up with in your face management for six years, vote yes on the contract.
There is not much gained at all in this new contract.

J

ja7618

eddie
Sounds like you need to leave now!! You have more some really serious issues that you need to address. You know that UPS has an employee assistance program maybe you should check it out! and by the way how many years do you have in now?

S

smlsrtgrl

ja7618
How rude of you to make such a comment that eddie should use the employee assistance program.
Are you bothered by others expressing thier opinions?
I don't know if you are management or an hourly either way your attitude towards other people sucks.
We all work in different hubs, centers,etc so don't make such harsh comments, because you have no way of knowing how every hub, center, etc is run(or the people that manage or work there are like).

R

rckfrd98

This is for deliver man. Yes, my words were brilliant. I guess from your sarcasm you are the type of person who would love to suck the company dry.

O

over9five

"If you think you can do better somewhere else, don't let the door hit you on the way out."

What is wrong with someone who would say that? What is wrong with trying to make your job better? Isnt that what unions were created for?
My family would love it if I had more time off, but I bet I know a feeder driver who is thankful for the forced OT...

R

rckfrd98

over9five:
I agree with making things better, but I believe there are people out there who are being greedy and selfish. I did not appreciate your comment about liking the forced OT, you were out of line on that one. By the way, this is the feederdrivers wife.

F

feedrman73

To rckfrd98 If you are married to a feeder driver then you should be concerned about the contract. AS you know Fed ex completely subcontacts its feeder operation (ex RPS) UPS logistics completely subcontracts its feeder operation. UPS has moved hundreds of trailors daily from the feeder operation to UPS logistics. They pick up the trailors at the shipper take them to the final city destination and then put the packages in the UPS system there. This totally eliminates the feeder jobs that use to move this volume. The contract exempts UPS logistics from the double breasting language. Which means if on August 1st UPS decided to walk in and say, "by the way all feeder jobs are hearby eliminated" we would not have a grievance as long as these trailors were not moved by UPS employees but by subcontractors. I don't think it will happen like that but I do believe that unless prevented UPS will eliminate all feeder jobs except local center pickups and hot center load moves within the next ten years. I have worked for UPS for 28 years. I drove package for 15 before feeders, my wife is a package driver with 22 years service. We love UPS for the security and the excellent living it has provided. It does not stop us from recognizing when the union has made a mistake. They must change the letter of understanding allowing for subcontractors move of feeder work. My wife is very much in favor of better 9.5 language. She has many weeks in which she works on average 10 hour days. She is a good driver who runs a good schedule. And trust me no simple face to face with her Sup. has solved the problem. She has not made a Soccer practice or Gymnastics practice in over a year. A 9 hour work day is not to much to ask.

D

deliver_man

I did not appreciate your comment about liking the forced OT, you were out of line on that one.

Hmm, about as "out of line" as you are, coming here to tell people that their opinions make you sick. These posters are not "married to a feeder driver", or "have a father who was a manager". They work at UPS every day, unlike you, and they have earned a right to have their opinions and to vote their conscience on the contract. If you want to change some minds, why don't you educate yourself on the issues and debate some of these people on the positive aspects of the contract. Coming into a thread and calling people whiners and telling them If you think you can do better somewhere else, don't let the door hit you on the way out is just flamebait. If Cheryl was not such a good moderator, the responses to your post would have been a lot less civil, and you would have deserved it. Think about it.

F

feedrman73

AS to being greedy. I would have taken 50 cents less per hour and signed yes to a contract that fixed the 9.5 language allowing my wife to get off earlier and make less money. Along with language that fixed the UPS logistics issue in feeders. For all you package drivers that think this does not effect you. In whites Creek there are 260 feeder drivers. If they eliminate say 200 hundred of these jobs we will displace almost all the package drivers working in Nashville! Remember seniority runs downhill.

R

rckfrd98

I guess I hit a nerve. Like you and others, I was expressing my opinion. I feel like I am entitled to do that. You are right, I do not work for the company, but I have a husband who has 17 years vested. I am thankful for everything UPS has given us. The medical care alone for our son probably kept us from bankruptcy. If I have insulted anyone, I apologize, that was not my intent. When all is said and done, UPS is a great company and you cannot deny that. By the way, I am educated about what is going on as my husband feels we are in this together. I have also read several comments from other UPSers wives. You think about it.

F

feedrman73

Rckfrd98 Did your husband understand what is at stake with UPS logistics as it concerns Feeder jobs? If so why is he not worried?