Why Am I only getting less than 10hours a week?

So my pay is small only enough for gas...What can I do to make more money working at UPS?Should I just quit?Why does UPS like to screw there employees over?

You are guaranteed 3.5 hours daily which works out to 17.5 hours weekly. If you choose to leave early you forfeit your guarantee.

You keep saying that ,but I dont know if thats how it works here or not because im in small sort and everyone in that position either finishes in about 1hour or 2hours at the most...Also if that is true who would I need to talk to my supervisor "hey give me 3.5hours a day" or would I have to say that too someone at HR?

UPSER110

You keep saying that ,but I dont know if thats how it works here or not because im in small sort and everyone in that position either finishes in about 1hour or 2hours at the most...Also if that is true who would I need to talk to my supervisor "hey give me 3.5hours a day" or would I have to say that too someone at HR?

how long have you been there? Get a contract book! You are guaranteed 3.5hrs when you clock in. If they tell you you can go home say you wanna stay and get your 3.5, if they tell you there isn't any work tell them you want your guarantee pay. Inform your co workers there is a guarantee.

I work the PM shift, but I was on preload for a while and there were always people leaving at less than 3 hrs. Some loading 4 trucks, and stacked out like crazy as the unloders are being told to go faster.

In my opinion I would like to see atleast a 4hr guarantee for the next contract and maybe a little higher wage too.....

Where is the contract book you speak of at? Because I sure would love to have it as my back up just in case my supervisor saids something else...Ive been working here for about 3 weeks now.

Lets just say I dont get my guarantee of 3.5hours/Could I file Grievance?

Last edited:

JonFrum

The National Master portion of the Contract is available on Browncafe in the top thread of the UPS UNION ISSUES forum.

See Article 22, Section 5 . . .
All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one-half (3-1/2) hour guarantee.

See also this memo at the end of the Contract . . .

Memorandum of Understanding
Teamster United Parcel Service Negotiating Committee (Union) and United Parcel Service, Inc. agree that it was their mutual intent that if a part-time employee completes his assigned duties and leaves work in less than three-and-one-half hours he shall be considered to have forfeited the right to his daily three-and-one-half hour guarantee. This shall not affect an employee’s right to a minimum three (3) hour daily guarantee.

[I'm assuming you fall under Article 22, and not Article 40 Air Operation.]

menotyou

bella amicizia
Where is the contract book you speak of at? Because I sure would love to have it as my back up just in case my supervisor saids something else...Ive been working here for about 3 weeks now.

If they say there is no work, ask for a broom. If they refuse, sit at picnic table or wherever you take your break and wait for your 3.5. Then clock out. If they kick you out, then file a grievance with your steward.

I think its kinda funny that you don't know about a contract, but you do know about grievances.

UPSER110

ask your union steward for one, or ask around to co workers where you can get one. You might not be guaranteed your 3.5 until you are in the union though.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The National Master portion of the Contract is available on Browncafe in the top thread of the UPS UNION ISSUES forum.

See Article 22, Section 5 . . .
All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one-half (3-1/2) hour guarantee.

See also this memo at the end of the Contract . . .

Memorandum of Understanding
Teamster United Parcel Service Negotiating Committee (Union) and United Parcel Service, Inc. agree that it was their mutual intent that if a part-time employee completes his assigned duties and leaves work in less than three-and-one-half hours he shall be considered to have forfeited the right to his daily three-and-one-half hour guarantee. This shall not affect an employee’s right to a minimum three (3) hour daily guarantee.

[I'm assuming you fall under Article 22, and not Article 40 Air Operation.]
I love double speak.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
GT, basically you have been working since the first of march. There are a lot of things that will get better the longer you work at UPS.

You dont have 30 days in, which does put you at serious risk should you start hell raising about not getting enough hours, or demanding that your contractual rights be honored. And as a practical matter, I dont know as you are covered under the contract before your 30 days are finished.

I might suggest doing a little kissing up? Ask your sup if there is something else you can do. Another shift, another job classification? Be eager to work other shifts, other jobs, you never know.

Being part time is not a career choice. IT should not be your only source of income. If it is, your aim in life it too low.

d

JonFrum

ask your union steward for one, or ask around to co workers where you can get one. You might not be guaranteed your 3.5 until you are in the union though.
The Contract applies to all employees in the Bargaining Unit, even if they haven't yet joined the Union, or even if they never join the Union.

A New Hire should probably keep a low profile while earning his Seniority, but it is in the interest of all the other workers that the Contract guarantees be upheld, and that the Company not be allowed to use New Hires to weaken the Contract's provisions.