Why are drivers such sheep?

DS

Fenderbender
I am new so I can't go around pointing fingers but I hear drivers complaining about the workload ALL DAY LONG. These are the same drivers that turn around and continue to bust their @$$es and get all the work done sometimes even cutting their lunches short. I hear guys with 25+ years say "i had to take a 15 min lunch to get back on time." This boggles my mind ! Why don't we all work to rule? I talked to a driver the other day that explained to me one of the drivers only gets dispatched with 65-70 a day because he works by the book. center manager has been on him for months but can't hit him on anything because he is doing everything right. Why don't more drivers do this? Not only would it make our daily dispatch go down but then UPS would be forced to hire more drivers. I think its because drivers are scared. I know there is a mixture of the union and driver power but I believe the union is only as strong as its members and from what i see its a joke. I am just so tired of drivers complaining and not doing anything about it. If you aren't going to act then don't b#$%#.

There, that's my rant of the day. :happy-very:

Indecisi0n,you start out by saying you can't go around pointing fingers then proceed to do it anyway:peaceful:
But that's ok because you make a valid point.
There are several variables that would affect a drivers ability to not be sheep.
First of all,every hub,center or hut has their own rules.My hub has about 400 drivers.
The truth is,whining is a necessary part of my job.If I don't say anything about the crap loads and the 11.5 hour days,
I will end up going over 12 hours and they get gnarly when you do that.
You may work in a small center,where it's easy to actually get help when you call and say you will have
15 missed businesses.Here,you get week off without pay,and you can grieve it later.
I guess what I'm saying is this.You are new.In time you will see that whining and bitching are necessary to achieve even
a close resemblance to a realistic planned day.
Sometimes screaming helps get your point across,it really wakes them up:happy-very:

I think the larger the facility,the more sheep.
I take my break at 2pm every day and I manage to get all my business done by then.
If I have 45 resi's left at 7pm,I get my air picked up and do 'em one at a time.
Last stop last night 8:55 pm...
Never judge a man till you've drove a day in his browns.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
Meno: in our shop if you work through your lunch and give a decent ETA your almost certain to be sent to help other people.
That sucks, I don't have that problem. I am always heavy and Im ok with that, I eat when I'm hungry, I drink when I'm thirsty, and when I need a break I take one...like when it's 115° Other than that I'm not a sitter. I record my time accurately and follow the 300 methods at each stop.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That sucks, I don't have that problem. I am always heavy and Im ok with that, I eat when I'm hungry, I drink when I'm thirsty, and when I need a break I take one...like when it's 115° Other than that I'm not a sitter. I record my time accurately and follow the 300 methods at each stop.

It's 340 pal, not 300.
Be careful.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Maybe it has something to do with UPS, in the past, hired people with very strong work ethics and many of them coming out of the armed forces.

We had a Navy seal come into work a few years ago ( preload ). A month later he quit. Heres the strongest of the strongest, trained killer of the upmost grueling training of all and couldnt cut it.

We have a driver that is from the seals ( driving 20+ years ) and says this is the worest ever time since working here.

In the past year, we've had 13 - 15 people, newhires, only 2 have made it. Most of them quit, most in the first few weeks. A couple after the first day, and some fired.

whiskey

Don't blame me, I voted for Obama.
We have become a nation of sheep. So, being sheepish, is actually in vogue.
There is a certain moment in time where all of us in package realized we have been broken by management. That we have lost all integrity and dignity that we once had. It is a specific moment. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. It is an extremely emotional moment not sans tears. Disconcerting? Oh yeah.
But when the browns come off, I'm back to being superman. So it's not all that bad.
And if my Teamster leadership wants me to vote Obama again. I will. Because it really is all George Bush's fault.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We had a Navy seal come into work a few years ago ( preload ). A month later he quit. Heres the strongest of the strongest, trained killer of the upmost grueling training of all and couldnt cut it.

We have a driver that is from the seals ( driving 20+ years ) and says this is the worest ever time since working here.

My fault ... I was too general.
I meant Marines and Army.
Air Force and Navy ... nice people but just not the same.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

In the past year, we've had 13 - 15 people, newhires, only 2 have made it. Most of them quit, most in the first few weeks. A couple after the first day, and some fired.

Could it be that $8.50/hr just isn't what it used to be?

code5

Indecisi0n,you start out by saying you can't go around pointing fingers then proceed to do it anyway:peaceful:
But that's ok because you make a valid point.
There are several variables that would affect a drivers ability to not be sheep.
First of all,every hub,center or hut has their own rules.My hub has about 400 drivers.
The truth is,whining is a necessary part of my job.If I don't say anything about the crap loads and the 11.5 hour days,
I will end up going over 12 hours and they get gnarly when you do that.
You may work in a small center,where it's easy to actually get help when you call and say you will have
15 missed businesses.Here,you get week off without pay,and you can grieve it later.
I guess what I'm saying is this.You are new.In time you will see that whining and bitching are necessary to achieve even
a close resemblance to a realistic planned day.
Sometimes screaming helps get your point across,it really wakes them up:happy-very:

I think the larger the facility,the more sheep.
I take my break at 2pm every day and I manage to get all my business done by then.
If I have 45 resi's left at 7pm,I get my air picked up and do 'em one at a time.
Last stop last night 8:55 pm...
Never judge a man till you've drove a day in his browns.

I agree that whining and bitching are needed unfortunately. A better term in standing up for yourself.

Ive always thought asking for help gets abused to often. Some drivers ask way to often even if they don't need it, then they get mad if they have to help.

I never ask for help. I suck up the heavy days and rarely am I ever asked to help. If I'm gonna have missed, I say I only want help from someone who is willing, not forced.

For the most part, if you are a good worker and do a good job - you get your way more often.

union4life

What do you know about sheep? Your in a MANS local (705). All I here about from a sup we have is this & that won't fly down in 705
This is the "key". Our new on-road sup's first words at PCM were, "I have heard that this Center is really pro-labor, I know I will have to adjust to this system". He learned real quick. There is not a lot of hourly and management personell sharing good times and laughing. We protect our hours and defend our contract language. Not everyone in the center is on board but we have enough to get it done. Funny, the ones who aren't on board will come running when they get caught doing something they shouldn't be doing. We give them some "tough love" and get it straightend out.

Find some like minded members in your center and study the contract. Learn it and use it to help your co-workers and yourself. When enough good comes from this you will get more members involved. It gets better but it certainly isn't easy.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
PHP:
My fault ... I was too general.
I meant Marines and Army.
Air Force and Navy ... nice people but just not the same.

Well, I've talk to a lot of people here. The majority were never in the military. One person I knew of, was in the Army, got in for school. Once done with it, left quickly.

I was pointing out that these two examples were Ex seals. Now, I would think the training for them would be night to day difference from any other service training, just for boot. These people were taining to deal with extremely dangerous situations. One would think they would take the task of something as this with a grain of salt.

As for the 8.50-9.50 starting out, sure that could be the reason. But choices of job these past few years has been slight, nevertheless the education the person has.

A lot more people here went threw college and have great degrees. They have no intentions of leaving UPS either.

I would believe that the majority of those that went threw any service would go into USPS. In the past, there were only two choices anyways, USPS and UPS.

Perhaps a study into this would fulfill the facts over speculation. Who knows really, maybe theres more Ex-Coast Guard here then anyother service.