Why are drivers such sheep?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, I've talk to a lot of people here. The majority were never in the military. One person I knew of, was in the Army, got in for school. Once done with it, left quickly.

I was pointing out that these two examples were Ex seals. Now, I would think the training for them would be night to day difference from any other service training, just for boot. These people were taining to deal with extremely dangerous situations. One would think they would take the task of something as this with a grain of salt.

As for the 8.50-9.50 starting out, sure that could be the reason. But choices of job these past few years has been slight, nevertheless the education the person has.

A lot more people here went threw college and have great degrees. They have no intentions of leaving UPS either.

I would believe that the majority of those that went threw any service would go into USPS. In the past, there were only two choices anyways, USPS and UPS.

Perhaps a study into this would fulfill the facts over speculation. Who knows really, maybe theres more Ex-Coast Guard here then anyother service.

Dude, my replies were not serious. Tongue in cheek.

A

anonymous6

You're right good except todays people are not sheep, they are pusses.

my father's generation ( people who grew up during the depression ) are the last real men this country will produce. people grow strong through adversity.

you people have had it so easy for so long , a light wind would blow you over. the co could break the union very easily if they had the cajones.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

my father's generation ( people who grew up during the depression ) are the last real men this country will produce. people grow strong through adversity.

you people have had it so easy for so long , a light wind would blow you over. the co could break the union very easily if they had the cajones.

So do you think that ups folks have grown stronger in the last couple of years because there has been much change and adversity in the attitude and work environment here the economy took a crap...

rod

Retired 22 years

I would disagree with you. The baby-boomer generation (born after 1945 and grew up during the 60's and 70's) are the last of the real people in the country. We grew up knowing that if we got caught doing something wrong our parents could (and sometimes did) wallop the crap out of you. Not only your parents but your teachers could drag you out in the hall and smash you up against a locker or two. They used a big wooden paddle (with holes drilled in it so it would sting more). Then when we got a little older there was still a thing called "the draft" you had to deal with. Starting in about 1975 after the end of the draft and the beginning of the "you can't touch little Johney because you might hurt his feelings) movement the country went on a downward sprial into as you say---pussieness.

I'm not saying that going totally back to the old ways would be better but- good lord people) this "don't make little Johney or Suzie cry even if they have misbehaved and while you are at it EVERYONE gets a gold star because it wouldn't be politically correct to acknowledge that some are smarter than others" mentality just don't seem to be cutting it.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I would disagree with you. The baby-boomer generation (born after 1945 and grew up during the 60's and 70's) are the last of the real people in the country. We grew up knowing that if we got caught doing something wrong our parents could (and sometimes did) wallop the crap out of you. Not only your parents but your teachers could drag you out in the hall and smash you up against a locker or two. They used a big wooden paddle (with holes drilled in it so it would sting more). Then when we got a little older there was still a thing called "the draft" you had to deal with. Starting in about 1975 after the end of the draft and the beginning of the "you can't touch little Johney because you might hurt his feelings) movement the country went on a downward sprial into as you say---pussieness.

I'm not saying that going totally back to the old ways would be better but- good lord people) this "don't make little Johney or Suzie cry even if they have misbehaved and while you are at it EVERYONE gets a gold star because it wouldn't be politically correct to acknowledge that some are smarter than others" mentality just don't seem to be cutting it.

Yea, my father told that in his days ( 35's ) any random person walking down the street that saw you do wrong would give you a boot to the backside. Nowadays, you yell at a kid and its federal hearings all over the place.

I recall seeing the board when I was going to school. This was back in the mid 80's when it was still relevant to have, but not use. It was used for a show piece, to scare kids into acting right. I recall the principal calling kids in three at a time and stating " if you act up, you get a few touches of this to your seat.". He even said to touch it, because it was naturally hot from all the behinds it has smacked. Btw, the holes werent there to sting, they were drilled into to cut down drag, speeding the board up upon impact, which was the top part, solid. Some even came with targets on the holes, but is only for show and intimidation.

Ah yes, the pussafacation of America. And yet, I believe the people that came from the 60, 70's are to blame for the majority of it. They were the hippies, yelling and protesting; sex, drugs and rock and roll. They were the teens and twenties of those days. Now, are the ones who are in control in government. These types grew up hating everything America was about, now are the ones trying to change it as they see fit, even if it isnt fit for the nation or you and me. They see it only in their eyes.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yea, my father told that in his days ( 35's ) any random person walking down the street that saw you do wrong would give you a boot to the backside. Nowadays, you yell at a kid and its federal hearings all over the place.

I recall seeing the board when I was going to school. This was back in the mid 80's when it was still relevant to have, but not use. It was used for a show piece, to scare kids into acting right. I recall the principal calling kids in three at a time and stating " if you act up, you get a few touches of this to your seat.". He even said to touch it, because it was naturally hot from all the behinds it has smacked. Btw, the holes werent there to sting, they were drilled into to cut down drag, speeding the board up upon impact, which was the top part, solid. Some even came with targets on the holes, but is only for show and intimidation.

Ah yes, the pussafacation of America. And yet, I believe the people that came from the 60, 70's are to blame for the majority of it.
They were the hippies, yelling and protesting; sex, drugs and rock and roll. They were the teens and twenties of those days. Now, are the ones who are in control in government. These types grew up hating everything America was about, now are the ones trying to change it as they see fit, even if it isnt fit for the nation or you and me. They see it only in their eyes.

I respectively have to disagree. I believe "Generation X " (children of the baby boomers) get credit for this mess. They were the ones suing their parents and teachers because they were being "picked on and harrassed" if told to behave. The baby boomers just got thumped on the head or smacked with a paddle. We took our lumps and then continued with the sex (with the opposite sex), drugs (a little bit of wacky weed) and rock and roll. Now days its gay sex, meth and hip hop /rap. I'm thankful I grew up when I did. Peace

I

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I agree with Rod......baby boomers have a great work ethic and as hard as we tried to teach our kids a work ethic, most didn't get it!!

brown_trousers

Drivers shouldn't be complaining.. period. At least not around here. There are too many of us getting only 10-20 hrs a week at almost minimum wage.

While these driver's are complaining about getting too much OT at $46/hr, the rest of us are wondering how we're going to afford rent and/or food for the month.

And sometimes I wonder, did these people get hired on as full-time drivers under the impression they were going to work 8 hrs a day? Has there ever been a time that UPS drivers were NOT working overtime every week? That should have been the red flag warning them to choose a different career.

Indecisi0n

You guys needs to expand your minds a little more. You guys keep talking about work ethics but what about company work ethics. Back then companies use to care/respect their employees. Today's companies don't even want to give free health benefits. Not because they can't afford it but because they would rather have a profit of 2.5 million instead of 1 million. Most large companies these days are run by greed plan and simple.

I am a firm believer of treating people the way you want to be treated.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Drivers shouldn't be complaining.. period. At least not around here. There are too many of us getting only 10-20 hrs a week at almost minimum wage.

While these driver's are complaining about getting too much OT at $46/hr, the rest of us are wondering how we're going to afford rent and/or food for the month.

And sometimes I wonder, did these people get hired on as full-time drivers under the impression they were going to work 8 hrs a day? Has there ever been a time that UPS drivers were NOT working overtime every week? That should have been the red flag warning them to choose a different career.

When I started driving in '82 I worked maybe 5 hrs OT per week. I knew going in that that was expected.
The last couple years I am averaging somewhere between 55 and 58 hours/week. That is NOT what I signed on for!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When I started driving in '82 I worked maybe 5 hrs OT per week. I knew going in that that was expected.
The last couple years I am averaging somewhere between 55 and 58 hours/week. That is NOT what I signed on for!

When I went driving in 78, I was getting 54 hours/week. It got worse when I went into management. That is what I signed up for! :sad-little:

TheKid

When I went driving in 78, I was getting 54 hours/week. It got worse when I went into management. That is what I signed up for! :sad-little:

All due respect Hoax . . . but it has gotten a little out of hand. The plan for our center sometimes is like a 10.5 hr. day. That is a little much for months at a time.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Was that back when drivers wore the bow tie and sups would go around on hot days to make sure the drivers didn't take them off....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
All due respect Hoax . . . but it has gotten a little out of hand. The plan for our center sometimes is like a 10.5 hr. day. That is a little much for months at a time.

And that 10.5 hour day is their planned.....which really means 11.5 in the "real" world.

rod

Retired 22 years
Was that back when drivers wore the bow tie and sups would go around on hot days to make sure the drivers didn't take them off....

The clip-on bow ties went out about 1970. When I started in 1971 you could still find them laying in the bottom of the dressing room lockers but we weren't required to wear them. Senior employees at that time told me when the ties were required they were taken off by the time the truck was out the gate. When I started you still had the option of wearing the old "bus driver" style of hat but most guys chose that "newfangled baseball" style cap with the plastic pin on UPS logo. Talk about stylish!

brown_trousers

I'm just sayin....
When you guys are complaining about excessive overtime/money in your bank account, the rest of us UPSers are struggling to even pay rent. You might as well be complaining to a starved homeless person about how you have too much money and never have anytime to spend it. It's just rude!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I respectively have to disagree. I believe "Generation X " (children of the baby boomers) get credit for this mess. They were the ones suing their parents and teachers because they were being "picked on and harrassed" if told to behave. The baby boomers just got thumped on the head or smacked with a paddle. We took our lumps and then continued with the sex (with the opposite sex), drugs (a little bit of wacky weed) and rock and roll. Now days its gay sex, meth and hip hop /rap. I'm thankful I grew up when I did. Peace

I

Of course your all gonna say you agree and you like this post, because the majority of you came from these times. You guys had all rights and abilities to go to college because it was affordable and doable. Where those classes started out with algebra, english and science 101. Sure you agree and like, all you want, because those times were easy, seemed hard, but you guys made it and had it easy.

A lot like UPS today, in many forms and fashions. You guys loaded cars with 150-200 maybe even 250 on a really heavy day. Nowadays, we load cars with 300-350 and maybe 400 on a heavy day. With those same baby boomers getting pulled back into the building, cant even tolerate a single night of regular work that some of us gen X's do on a daily bases, year round.

As for what those few choice kids did back in the day, was rare and miniscule to what baby boomers have done. To large scale protest that got people killed, to flooding the population to the point where its nearly impossible to retire at a decent age. Social unrest, failing investments and more protest that are happening today. The influx of college grads, caused the price to go up, due to demand. Now, everyone must have one to get a good job. Yet, that is a lie, I could go into more elsewhere.

Anyways, your problems became our problems. Just because you guys think it was hard and got past it today, where its all roses, doesnt mean it is, not even close. We have ( gen x ) inherited your problems, the only difference, is you guys are in control today.