Why are GM ~ GMC trucks & vans have poor paint jobs?

SmithBarney

...then on a lot of Astro vans. There was no sanding. The fenders and hoods came into the assembly plant primed and ready to paint. Sanding would have meant re-priming and I never saw anyone priming.

Problem with the Astro Vans were all the body panels were galvanized steel, but the roof and hood were not, not sure if the rest of GMs line is made the same way. I think the paint formulas didn't work well with different steels.

My 92 AstroRS in 2007 had no rust except on the roof(and top of windshield typical GM water trap up there) Damn I miss that truck.
Edit: And it's still kicking around the internet... ;) its a rare bird thought I'd share.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i22/boxdin/Astro 1991/Astro2-1.jpg

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
With all due respect Orion I hope that the contractor is paying you for you efforts to keep that unit appearing in a fashion that satisfies X. As a disposed of former contractor I know first hand X's sensitivity regarding appearance . But at the same time they couldn't care less about whether or the unit was road worthy. That was the contractor's headache. .

At my barn, it's both areas that are scrutinized, down to a license plate light, or it would not be put on the road! They gave me some leeway because im not really from that barn (i was supposed to cover this route until labor Day)

Having to drive close to 1000 miles a week, i make sure my crappy uhaul is mechanically sound... there is no way i would risk a breakdown on route only to wait for a replacement rental to shift my cargo to it. Im close to max HOS as is...

Wait, i should ask for some sorta compensation for doing this?!? Ah, i should at least axe for the cost of wally world paint...

OrioN

Based on the truck next to you with your locale, I blame acid rain, noreasters, peeing on your hood and driving too fast to do 280 stops before dark.

There's no way i can cram that many stops in this 400 cu ft truck... unless they were mostly small boxes of amazon prime and envelopes. We all know that oversized boxes will be the norm these days with companies like wayfair shipping couches and what not "for free "

And i pee in the cargo area, not out in the open, or risk being on youtubes...

OrioN

Get out. A '57 panel wagon cooler than an Astro van? NO WAY.

Maybe if he painted that van to become like this:
maxresdefault.jpg