Why are Mondays light ?

BrownArmy

Sometimes volume is light on Mondays, and they'll cut routes in my center and distribute the stops and pickups to the surrounding routes.

Problem is, I think they like it so much they sometimes do it on Tuesdays too. And Fridays.

In any case, whether or not the volume is light, when the routes are cut the workload definitely isn't. I've had a couple weeks of punching out at 2100+. It's like year-round peak for a lot of the drivers in my center. I wanted to send a message the other day saying I was going to be real late because my helper didn't show up :greedy:.

Most of this stuff doesn't even look good on paper; how it plays out is even worse.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have actually come to the realization that some shippers don't like to ship on Fridays simply for the matter that they don't want to have their product sitting in our warehouse and/or trailers somewhere. I have actually been told that by shippers.

Mr Shifter

A lot of Saturday air packages are actually supposed to be delivered on Monday with the rest of the regular next day airs. This makes the next day airs lighter on Mondays then the rest of the week. Which should help increase your stops per car drastically :D

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
UR all just so brainwashed, you believe it when they tell you its light volume. Like it was just you who had to run all over gods green earth to make service on pkgs for businesses you never saw before. And because they keep our nose to the grindstone, you are too busy to converse with the guy next to you to see how his day was. Its how its done, keep them to busy to know the difference.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Run less routes on Monday since the day I started. Some get effected more than others. When they cut them on Thurs. and Fri. it gets a little extreme.

whiskers

Where I work the local sort is actually heaviest on mondays. Because of the businesses that are open on saturdays can't ship their products until mondays.

satellitedriver

With the add/ cuts, everyday is Monday.
Monday is always heavy and Friday is even worse.
The dips can send it down to me, but I only can do what I can do.
I am still trying to figure out how to break the laws of physics and be at two places at the same time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with the OP--Monday is normally my lightest day of the week.

In regard to the Saturday air comment--that is simply not true. We are only allowed to deliver Saturday air on Saturdays--delivery of any non-Saturday ends up on a report.

C

chuchu

I had a customer ask me why 600 bottles of water were held in the Toledo Hub due to "remote location" and the shipment was going to a country club in a town north of our center 20 miles or so. We deliver that town every day. The contract says the company has to work 90 percent of the drivers they worked the first day of the week so it's obvious that if they can "rural remote" or hold stops in hubs and no customer asks for their money back they can "legally" put more drivers on-call for the week and not get busted for not working the 90 percent for 40 hours.