Why are some UPS employees members of two unions? I'm confused!

Gman24

3peaks,, I answered everyone of your questions that you asked in one of your posts. Did you not see it. Ask me anything else about the APWA and I will answer it honestly. I have said before, I don;t expect everyone to agree with me. However, you can not say no one has answered any of your questions, because I did. I guess you want to ignore the answers because your TEAMSTER officials tell you that the APWA CAN'T do what they say.

Again, I am not trying to start an argument with you. Just don;t say that no one has answered your questions because I have.

Oh, and by the way, if you guys think ALL 400,000 have to say no to keep the TEAMSTERS in you all are wrong. Anyways, if most of you ignore the vote like most of the UPS TEAMSTERS did in the last election, it may only take a small percentage the get the APWA voted in anyways. THINK ABOUT THAT!

Last edited:

3peaks

wicked GT05
Union dues will be what they are now for the first 6-12 months. The APWA will need to build buildings buy cars , computers, office stuff to "open shop" so to speak. After that the APWA says it can afford to slash what theTEAMSTERS are charging UPS employees in half. Through the TEAMSTERS UPS employees pay a higher percentage than any other TEAMSTERS represented company. Why wouldn't UPS employees be based the same as others percentage wise.

You speak of honesty. The APWA is only going to allow UPS employees to be officials or hold any type of office. Wouldn't you rather have UPS employees negotiate YOUR contract than someone who has never done anything at UPS. Also if any member of the APWA sees any corruption at any level, they will be able to go directly to a FCM (founding charter member) each state will have 200 of them, and the process of removal can immediately begin, won;t have to wait for an election.

3peaks, if you really want to know anything regarding the APWA, go to their web site and then contact them via e-mail, I assure you they will honestly answer whatever you have to ask. It may take a day or 2, but they will get back to you. These guys still have their daily UPS jobs to go to.

You ask how far along they are in progress. Within the next month cards will be passed out for a vote to occur. 2 years ago the TEAMSTERS never thought it would even get close to this. The media is starting to cover the APWA now as well. It would take many paragraphs to cover what the APWA would like to accomplish. Of course they will never accomplish those things if people who want change but will not stand up for change don't give them a chance.

The most common thing you hear TEAMSTER supporters say is the APWA can't back up what they say. The only way they won;t be able to back it up is if they aren't voted in. The TEAMSTERS are afraid this MAY happen and that's the propaganda they try to spread. The APWA also can't have a track record if they aren't voted in. IF that's the only battle cry the TEAMSTERS have, then they better give UPS employees more credit. Most of them (UPS employees) are smarter than they(TEAMSTERS officials) want us to be.

3peaks,, I answered everyone of your questions that you asked in one of your posts. Did you not see it. Ask me anything else about the APWA and I will answer it honestly. I have said before, I don;t expect everyone to agree with me. However, you can not say no one has answered any of your questions, because I did. I guess you want to ignore the answers because your TEAMSTER officials tell you that the APWA CAN'T do what they say.

Again, I am not trying to start an argument with you. Just don;t say that no one has answered your questions because I have.

Oh, and by the way, if you guys think ALL 400,000 have to say no to keep the TEAMSTERS in you all are wrong. Anyways, if most of you ignore the vote like most of the UPS TEAMSTERS did in the last election, it may only take a small percentage the get the APWA voted in anyways. THINK ABOUT THAT!
Gman this seems to be the only post I can find that you tried to answer some of my question's...but I have asked several questions in other post... as have many other people...in another post I said that I saw some flaws in the plan and ENGINEER79 asked me to point them out and I did, yet still no response...as for your answer's you stated above....6-12 months seems to be a big gap..it dosn't sound like you're to sure about this..and my union dues would be used to "BUILD BUILDINGS" and "BUY CARS"...I can understand computers and office stuff.....dosn't the APWA plan on renting office space like everyone else...why can't the APWA official's use thier personal car's and get a millage allowance(or atleast till things get rolling?) So all i'v been asking for is more facts from those of you who are already involved, and have already singed up for the news letter....so far on the APWA web site I dont see any thing that even exites me enough to sing up..that's why I ask my question's on here....all i've been asking for is the facts on how the APWA plans to make this a reality...and so far every answer is based on what the TEAMSTERS cant do....so please go back and re-read all my question's and the question's from several other's on brown cafe and give more detailed answer's....and please try to do this with out the mention of what the TEAMSTERS cant do...and the cars you mentioned....you talking, LEXUS?...BMW?...OR FORD FOCUS?

3peaks

wicked GT05
You haven't mentioned any specific flaws that you see. Please elaborate on this so that I can educate you and verify my data.

DETAILS.....where are the details... all i see is the APWA bad mouthing the teamsters....I hear the same stuff every day from my fellow co-workers...So who are the members?...all i see so far is two retired feeder drivers and a lawyer. i went to the "goals" section and again just bad mouthin the teamsters, but dosnt say excatly how they plan to accomplish their goal's...i went to the "part time" section and they say you can get a full time position faster because thay are offering the full time guys retirement after 20 years ...but then you go to the "full time" section and they are offering the full time guys such a great plan to stay on an extra 5,10,15 years longer.. so if their body's can last a few years longer..it seem's the part time guy's are al ready getting "screwed"....next who is funding this project i'm assuming that it must cost a small fortune to take on the teamster's...so is it based on the hundred and fifty from membership..if so how many of my fellow co-workers have already mailed in the 150...have you?? what about the future? how do I know that all these promises will still be in affect when I'm ready to retire in thirty years..
engineer79 let's just start with these simple to answer question's..please answer with details... not just a pipe dream and a promise...
and........

3peaks

wicked GT05
There is no way to belong to both...When the contract was signed in 2002 only teamsters and machinists signed it, I was there I don't remember any apwa representive's being there!! Why would you come on here and write something stupid like that??? If you support the apwa good for you, good luck trying to convince half of the 390,000 plus members. Anybody who know's anything about the unions know's nothing can happen until the current agreement expire's on 7/31/2008!!!! And why not show some fact's on how the apwa is better. Some people on here feel the same way you do, but they can never deliver any proof? Who right now do they represent? And don't tell me to go to there website anybody can make a fancy website and promise the world. Give us some fact's on here!!!
and.......???

3peaks

wicked GT05
They accuse the IBT of spewing propoganda, which is a correct accusation. However, it is like the pot calling the kettle black. All the APWA cheerleaders do is get on here and just spew that stuff like crazy.

Come on guys, get professional with it at least - send me magazines about oraganizing a 7 member police force and then neglect to mention that huge decertification you just received and brag about APWA power!:lol:
and......???

T

tasky

how do you see that as a triple post....I quoted three other posts.....each one not being the "SAME THING" ...Is it really necessary to respond before reading?:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Yes, you quoted three posts and replied to them all with the same thing. Learn what the Multi-Quote button does (hint: multi is short for multiple)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have to admit that I have been confused by this thread. Its posted in the wrong forum, and to the best of my knowledge, UPS employees are represented by three unions, the IBT, IAM, and the pilot's union. The APWA isn't a union at all, only in the stage of trying to turn itself into one. I am in Central States, and believe me, that is the biggest gripe I have about being employed by UPS since 1975. I don't care what part of the country you are in, everyone should realize that the Social Security and Pensions that we used to think would take care of us at retirement age just isn't going to happen. You can easily retire wealthy if you invest as much as possible in stuff like mutual funds, your 401K, and other such investments.

I have a lot of respect for the guys who want to improve things by replacing the Teamsters. I just don't see that it will happen anytime the next decade. Most of the country either hasn't heard of the APWA or think their current pension will somehow be alright. I am in the South with the APWA founders just a few hundred miles away, but a majority of my co-workers have never heard of them. I have twenty three years credit in CS, if APWA pulled some miracle soon and got in, it couldn't help my situation.:sad:

tieguy

Banned
everyone should realize that the Social Security and Pensions that we used to think would take care of us at retirement age just isn't going to happen. You can easily retire wealthy if you invest as much as possible in stuff like mutual funds, your 401K, and other such investments.

I have a lot of respect for the guys who want to improve things by replacing the Teamsters. I just don't see that it will happen anytime the next decade. Most of the country either hasn't heard of the APWA or think their current pension will somehow be alright. I am in the South with the APWA founders just a few hundred miles away, but a majority of my co-workers have never heard of them. I have twenty three years credit in CS, if APWA pulled some miracle soon and got in, it couldn't help my situation.:sad:

Agreed. I hear some of the overnight guys have 401K with as much as 12 percent company match. Imagine what you could do with the same.

3peaks

wicked GT05
Yes, you quoted three posts and replied to them all with the same thing. Learn what the Multi-Quote button does (hint: multi is short for multiple)
thank you for showing me your pc skill's ....if you had noticed in an earlier post I did in fact use the multi-quote feature...so if you were paying attention you would have figured out that i was doing that to make more of a point on the issue...in fact i was going to do that with all the other question's that everyone has already asked..but i thought just the three would make my point...so i was not just trying to be some "post whore"....where you on the other hand jummped rite in just to point out how i should have used the multi button..but failed to join in the conversation...(hint: there are plenty of sites around where people are immpressed by the grammer poleece and the amount of how mant "post" you have) maybe you should show off your new found "pc skill's" somewhere else:sad:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. I hear some of the overnight guys have 401K with as much as 12 percent company match. Imagine what you could do with the same.

I would love to see some kind of company match on the 401K. To me that would cure the Pension situation, the IBT couldn't get their hands on it.

gambler

Well said scratch king if it doesnt help me the hell with the rest of the people. i have less than ayear and a half to go wish i knew about this along time ago. ITsounds to me the apwa is giving control to the people who work for UPS and only UPS. I always would want contol of my money than letting somebody else having control.

Gman24

TIEGUY, I have asked that question since I have been with this company (almost 17 years). Even, before all the pension blowups, and even before the APWA. I always get the same answers.

Do you think the TEAMSTERS or whatever UNION even the APWA will let that happen? You know why they won;t, because they can't get their hands on OUR money and control it that way.

I have said time and time again, You give me a company matched 401 K and I'll shut my mouth. That is the answer to the pensions crisis.

satellitedriver

TIEGUY, I have asked that question since I have been with this company (almost 17 years). Even, before all the pension blowups, and even before the APWA. I always get the same answers.

Do you think the TEAMSTERS or whatever UNION even the APWA will let that happen? You know why they won;t, because they can't get their hands on OUR money and control it that way.

I have said time and time again, You give me a company matched 401 K and I'll shut my mouth. That is the answer to the pensions crisis.
Amen,it would give us control of our money.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
401k was around for the 18 years I've been here. Been in it since I was eligible. No match but is that a reason not to participate? Just because you think you have a pension coming is no reason not to save.

Bill

DETAILS.....where are the details... all i see is the APWA bad mouthing the teamsters....I hear the same stuff every day from my fellow co-workers...So who are the members?...all i see so far is two retired feeder drivers and a lawyer. i went to the "goals" section and again just bad mouthin the teamsters, but dosnt say excatly how they plan to accomplish their goal's...i went to the "part time" section and they say you can get a full time position faster because thay are offering the full time guys retirement after 20 years ...but then you go to the "full time" section and they are offering the full time guys such a great plan to stay on an extra 5,10,15 years longer.. so if their body's can last a few years longer..it seem's the part time guy's are al ready getting "screwed"....next who is funding this project i'm assuming that it must cost a small fortune to take on the teamster's...so is it based on the hundred and fifty from membership..if so how many of my fellow co-workers have already mailed in the 150...have you?? what about the future? how do I know that all these promises will still be in affect when I'm ready to retire in thirty years..
engineer79 let's just start with these simple to answer question's..please answer with details... not just a pipe dream and a promise...
I read your profile and it appears that you are a part time employee somewhere. About 20 years ago, part time employees were earning almost as much as full timers. Then what happened? The APWA was not even around back in 1985. The Teamsters, who you are backing for whatever reason, sold the part timers out. Instead of getting paid $15 per hour, the starting pay became $8 per hour. How did the Teamsters negotiate a fair contract for part timers like yourself? This is a fact if you care to check it out instead of running your mouth and believing the propaganda the Teamsters that they want you to know.
You must learn to read and comprehend what you read. The APWA is not making anyone work 5, 10 or 15 years longer. They are stating that if you choose to work additional years, you will receive more pension money. The Teamsters on the other hand, have forced us to work until age 65, with no additional pension money, but a reduction and penalties for every year before the age of 65. The reason for the Teamster pension cuts are that the pension fund is severely underfunded, and decreasing yearly. Another fact: The Teamsters refuse to open the books which is supposed to be public record. Why? They must have less than what they tell us, the money is being mismanaged, being used for their own personal gain, or a combination of these.
You want to know how they can accomplish this when the Teamsters can't. The answer is simple. While the Teamsters are obligated to pay pensions to employees of companies that no longer exist, the APWA is a union for UPS people only. As of now, we only receive 40% of the $1.3 billion that UPS contributes, but under the APWA guidelines, all the money (100%) will go to UPS people. For this reason alone, The APWA can offer a pension that is more than double the current pension under the Teamsters. Also, go to unionfacts.com and take a look at the salaries and pensions the Teamster leaders are taking. They act like it is their money and want to give us as little as possible.
I have become a member of the APWA whether it makes it or not. I paid $150 like all the other members. It is a shot worth taking, because if the Teamsters continue to "represent" us, we will all get less than we are getting now. More cuts to our medical and pension funds are being planned. The medical money is being diverted into the pension fund. As a result, the medical benefits will be reduced and we will all pay more. In the next contract negotiations, the Teamsters will ask for more pension money. UPS will offer less. Further cuts will take place.
I have answered your questions, so now answer one question for me. What has the Teamsters offered besides reductions and pension cuts?

Bill

well I'm glad I summed it up for all those who don't get it yet.
So I guess I'm the only one left still clueless...all I wanted to know was how far along are they with any progress?....will the APWA be representing me in 2008 or will it be more like 2038? Or what exactly do they plan on doing to keep the honesty in and the corruptoin out? there must be some type of methods they plan to follow? How much will the union dues be? So I'm not saying it's a bad idea I just havn't found any info that make's me want to run and get my check book and join the cause...and so far I have only asked simple question's..:detective
If you are nervous now, just wait and see what lies ahead under the Teamsters. Take the time to check out the UPS pilots union. A few years back, the pilots belonged to the Teamsters. They wised up and replaced the TEamsters with a union for UPS pilots only (IPA). The pilots negotiated and received a bigger pension, a hefty pay raise and financial security. The APWA is trying to do the same. Why don't you get it?

Bill

]
Show us the proof of all this. You still haven't aswered my question,who do they represent now? NOBODY that's who they have no proven track record. You think you have pension problem's now? Go ahead and give them your money, And if you are paying a membership fee to the apwa you are nut's!!! They don't even represent you now and they are taking your money!!!
Who did the UPS pilots represent before they kicked the Teamsters out?