why are we getting the heat by the ...........why me ???

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
About 2 weeks ago I was forced out blind on 2 different rtes. I was over on both rtes and went over 3 days even though they had to come and take work off. Last week my sup was talking to my steward and myself. He said that he can no longer force drivers out on rtes blind. I don't know for sure what the cause of this change of heart was but I was happy to hear it. I have 2 rtes now that I no longer have to worry about doing. LOL

The sad thing about all this is that is the way I have learned all the rtes. Here's a map - go do it.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
About 2 weeks ago I was forced out blind on 2 different rtes. I was over on both rtes and went over 3 days even though they had to come and take work off. Last week my sup was talking to my steward and myself. He said that he can no longer force drivers out on rtes blind. I don't know for sure what the cause of this change of heart was but I was happy to hear it. I have 2 rtes now that I no longer have to worry about doing. LOL

The sad thing about all this is that is the way I have learned all the rtes. Here's a map - go do it.

You are still screwed.

Those are no longer blind routes to you and you know what to expect now ! So why wouldn't they send you on it now?

:faint:

I did a new route on Friday, about 45 stops 260 miles, punched out at 21:15. Missed 7 stops in another town 30 miles away, would have added 3 more hours and about 90 more miles on me I was told. Would have only added 1 hour and 30 miles on the driver that should have had it. (You know, one of those whiney drivers that can't do over 40 stops. He was done by 18:00)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You are still screwed.

Those are no longer blind routes to you and you know what to expect now ! So why wouldn't they send you on it now?

:faint:
They are still blind rtes. I have only been on 1 rte 1 time. Have not had 3 days training on it. The other rte I had done about 2 times 2 yrs ago and then put on it again 2 wks ago. Again without any training on it. Since we have no one that does any training on rtes (especially the sup-he has no area knowkedge at all), the first rte I will probably never go back out on and the 2nd would will be iffy. Past practice here is they are supposed to pull 25% off the rte for 3 days.

Personally, I doubt very seriously that they will even stick to this for very long.

DS

Fenderbender
I have nothing but respect for you cover drivers,I have been on the same run for 19 years,and I try to be as efficient as possible,and some days I have to call for help.I like my area knowledge,and I would run WAY over if they made me do a blind rte.We are not on Pas or EDD...

Braveheart

Hero to zero - that has a familar ring to it. I could never figure out why UPS only hires liars and thieves. From the day you start you are automatically accused of stealing time and lying about why it took so long. All I can suggest is to learn to live with it:peaceful:
How true it is.

Braveheart

:why:

As the economy worsen everyday the heat of upsers are getting are more than ever. I was on a good path and nothing seems out of ordinary, not even a dark cloud is over my head, no thounder, lighting, and not a drop of any fire on me. Until i was covering a blind run for a week. just a week, i think i am over 2 hr or less over allow everday. Man !! the heat was on the top of my head in seconds. By this time no matters how good u were in the past u are on a Black Hit List. :devil3:
I was just following EDD and trying my best to gono my day for this particular blind run. The second day in office with two other members, man!! I wished i had a voice recorder. It was unbeilable how a mangment team would accuse us that we are the low life of sum that just here to stealing time and money from the company. I have realized that we are nothing but slaves to them and the numbers are the key to their successs of the company. It will get even worse :ill:Any taker on this subject
That is what I have been telling all the runners out there. Work hard and work safe but stop running and skipping lunches.

It does not matter how good you were in the past they will turn on you like a chow with rabies.

Managers do not care about you. You have to drive safe, work safe, and deliver every box right the first time and never miss a pick up. Running just wears out your knees, ankles, and back in fewer years than the rest of us.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That is what I have been telling all the runners out there. Work hard and work safe but stop running and skipping lunches.

It does not matter how good you were in the past they will turn on you like a chow with rabies.

Managers do not care about you. You have to drive safe, work safe, and deliver every box right the first time and never miss a pick up. Running just wears out your knees, ankles, and back in fewer years than the rest of us.
They just don't get it do they (the runners). We have quite a few and they think they are superman. Notice I left that in the masculine, every single one of our runners are men. Younger ones too. 25-35 age range.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We've got a gunner sitting at home right now wondering if he still has a job. Seems the customers were just slowing him down, so he was signing for all his business stops himself (among other things). I'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact that he was in the building everyday by 1530 with a couple hours bonus. 18 years too, I guess he had a good run. Not a whole lot the union can do for him except ask nicely for the company to give him a second chance, but in this economy they aren't in any hurry.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We've got a gunner sitting at home right now wondering if he still has a job. Seems the customers were just slowing him down, so he was signing for all his business stops himself (among other things). I'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact that he was in the building everyday by 1530 with a couple hours bonus. 18 years too, I guess he had a good run. Not a whole lot the union can do for him except ask nicely for the company to give him a second chance, but in this economy they aren't in any hurry.
We had a driver here that transferred out to another ctr. He went from a non-pas system to a pas system. Within in a month or so we had heard that he had been terminated for falsifying records. Makes me wonder how many times he did it here. A driver either does it or doesn't do it. It's not generally just a one time occurence. IMO!

I don't understand why they (drivers) do this? Why throw away a good paying job, especially in this economy? I don't get it. They are cheating themselves out of hrs worked, and they cause all kinds of headaches for the drivers that work by the methods.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We had a driver here that transferred out to another ctr. He went from a non-pas system to a pas system. Within in a month or so we had heard that he had been terminated for falsifying records. Makes me wonder how many times he did it here. A driver either does it or doesn't do it. It's not generally just a one time occurence. IMO!

I don't understand why they (drivers) do this? Why throw away a good paying job, especially in this economy? I don't get it. They are cheating themselves out of hrs worked, and they cause all kinds of headaches for the drivers that work by the methods.
Interestingly enough, it was a driver working by the methods that led to his demise. I guess he had most of the cover drivers "briefed" on how to properly run his route. One day they sent out a cover driver that he hadn't talked to who was a stickler for doing everything by the book. The next day they had customers calling and complaining, wanting to know why they had to sign for their stuff now, they hadn't signed for anything for years, was this some new policy of UPS's? That's when LP got involved. They only had to follow him for one day, apparently they had enough evidence to fire him 10 times over.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
interestingly enough, it was a driver working by the methods that led to his demise. I guess he had most of the cover drivers "briefed" on how to properly run his route. One day they sent out a cover driver that he hadn't talked to who was a stickler for doing everything by the book. The next day they had customers calling and complaining, wanting to know why they had to sign for their stuff now, they hadn't signed for anything for years, was this some new policy of ups's? That's when lp got involved.
oooooooooopppppppppppppsssssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyyy

:happy-very::happy-very:

mnnice

You are unfortunately feeling the consequences of a poor management team.

To me a poor manager manages by result. What I mean is that a poor manager looks at a result and based purely on whether the result was positive or not, determines if people did their job properly.

A good manager should manage by behavior. He/she looks at what behavior needs to be changed or strengthened in order to get a positive result.

If a good measure is in place, good behavior will lead to a positive result.

This is what UPS was based on. Follow the methods, work at a good pace, make good decisions, and this good behavior will lead to a good result.

My guess is that your manager just wants a result improved but doesn't know what to tell you to change in order to improve it.

I know it would be hard for you to do this, but when I have been faced with this situation in the past I have calmly said "tell me what I should have done differently".

Best of luck.

P-Man
P-Man

You did a very nice job describing a good management person. I agree with you 100%. Now we just need each management person to agree with you 100%.

whiskey

I have 32 years with UPS most of which have been in package car. I studied economics in college. We are currently in a critical phase. We have to face up to the fact that we may not survive. Sorry. But, as luck would have it, the fabric of adversity is woven with opportunity. Cheer up ya'll, and enjoy the ride.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have 32 years with UPS most of which have been in package car. I studied economics in college. We are currently in a critical phase. We have to face up to the fact that we may not survive. Sorry. But, as luck would have it, the fabric of adversity is woven with opportunity. Cheer up ya'll, and enjoy the ride.

I know the rent is in arrears, the dog has not been fed in years
Its even worse than it appears, but its all right, I will survive

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You are unfortunately feeling the consequences of a poor management team.

To me a poor manager manages by result. What I mean is that a poor manager looks at a result and based purely on whether the result was positive or not, determines if people did their job properly.

A good manager should manage by behavior. He/she looks at what behavior needs to be changed or strengthened in order to get a positive result.

If a good measure is in place, good behavior will lead to a positive result.

This is what UPS was based on. Follow the methods, work at a good pace, make good decisions, and this good behavior will lead to a good result.

My guess is that your manager just wants a result improved but doesn't know what to tell you to change in order to improve it.

I know it would be hard for you to do this, but when I have been faced with this situation in the past I have calmly said "tell me what I should have done differently".

Best of luck.

P-Man
I love your posts.
I agree, and exactly what I say, when they tell me I have to do better today. I just say what would you like me to do differently. So I get a ride and no feedback. :dont_know::gun_bandaSo I have to assume they couldnt find a reason. So I stick with "your time studies are 20 yrs old and no longer accurate".