Why break so early?

J

jibbs

Then your sort should be taking a 30 min unpaid if you are scheduled 6 hours or more. If your sort did this what would happen? Sort didn't get down in time? Do they need another loader to load more trucks which means more drivers? All this talk of not taking breaks is pissing me off!

I'd rather be allowed a 3-4 minute (cigarette, for me) break on the clock several times a shift than an unpaid break that forces you off the clock.

No time-stealing either, supervisor-approved so long as my pull stays clean. It works for me.

dan

If you are a seasonal worker just keep your head down and don't say anything unless you plan on finding a new job after peak.

But do maintain your composure, know your body and your limits and DO NOT GET HURT. That is rule number 1.
exactly ,keep quiet and do your job !!

browner89

Up to 34 hours and 0 minutes break time allowed, fun week! Still have Friday, sometimes it sucks being in a state where you're not required a break, wouldn't mind a 5 minute session to just relax. UPS knows the state laws and will work those laws to the edge to get the most productivity and least amount of pay required.

Con1989

Last night my hub went on break about 40 minutes into the twilight shift. Why? Are the managers in the tower just busting balls or is there some logic to stopping the belts when they are loaded to capacity so just people can stand around and look at each other? It made for one long ass night. The supervisors ended up loaded trailers during this time just because it was such a cluster.

It could of been that there was not enough trailers there, or because a belt got so messed up they needed time to catch up. That's normally the cause where I'm at, I'm a jam breaker.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It could of been that there was not enough trailers there, or because a belt got so messed up they needed time to catch up. That's normally the cause where I'm at, I'm a jam breaker.

While it is a good business decision to use extended downtime for breaks, is it really fair to take your break within the first hour and have to work an additional 8-9 (or more) hours without a break?

Nostromo

I'd rather be allowed a 3-4 minute (cigarette, for me) break on the clock several times a shift than an unpaid break that forces you off the clock.

No time-stealing either, supervisor-approved so long as my pull stays clean. It works for me.
That would be pretty sweet

By The Book

I didn't write the contract, I just try to enforce it. When members don't like to follow it or try to justify their reasons for why they think its ok to look the other way I just scratch my head. Help your stewards out people, follow the contract. Take your lunch, breaks, give your helpers breaks, no off the clock work, get rid of your stress. Get to a meeting at your local and ask questions and stay educated on your contract. Thanks!