Why can't drivers under 4-years in opt for the 9.5 list?

35years

Gravy route
Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

-Do you see the or in the language above? That means only 1 of the 4 conditions listed above need to be met, to have 9.5 protection.

Your bosses are lying to you if they say you can't be on the 9.5 list because you do not have 4 years in.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
What is the reasoning on that specific requirement from the union's side of it?
I don't know the union's position on that but my opinion is that during the negotiations, the union pusssies didn't step up to make sure ALL drivers in the full time classification were offered the protection of excessive OT so long as they were qualified and made seniority.

35years

Gravy route
Well, I am no apologist for the Union but the protection (in practice) is far superior to the previous contract. I find that the guys with less than 4 years in are just to scared to assert their right to 9.5 protection when management lies and says they can't be on the list. Our business agent (BA) has made it clear to the center managers that they will not lie about this anymore to the new guys. We have guys with under a year on the 9.5 list. If your manager is still telling the lie, talk to your BA.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Well, I am no apologist for the Union but the protection (in practice) is far superior to the previous contract. I find that the guys with less than 4 years in are just to scared to assert their right to 9.5 protection when management lies and says they can't be on the list. Our business agent (BA) has made it clear to the center managers that they will not lie about this anymore to the new guys. We have guys with under a year on the 9.5 list. If your manager is still telling the lie talk to your BA.
This really depends on your BA. If you have your own route and are under its pretty easy. If you aren't it's not quiet as cut and dry.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What is the reasoning on that specific requirement from the union's side of it?
The reasoning would have to be the guys under 4 years got thrown under the bus for something else. Although we didn't exactly gain much this contract so I'm not sure what that would be.

Grey

Well, I am no apologist for the Union but the protection (in practice) is far superior to the previous contract. I find that the guys with less than 4 years in are just to scared to assert their right to 9.5 protection when management lies and says they can't be on the list. Our business agent (BA) has made it clear to the center managers that they will not lie about this anymore to the new guys. We have guys with under a year on the 9.5 list. If your manager is still telling the lie, talk to your BA.

They're not afraid to opt in in our center. A lot of us are on it but we'd win a week long vacation route maybe two or three times a year. That's how rare it is so its basically pointless. I dunno why they still send me the message everyday when it means nothing.

scooby0048

This really depends on your BA. If you have your own route and are under its pretty easy. If you aren't it's not quiet as cut and dry.
Our BA is weak or in bed with someone at UPS. I feel like I work in a foreign place nothing gets enforced and I think I've seen my BA once since he visited our center a year and half ago.

scooby0048

It takes him that long to get to your center and back home.

You could see him every month just by attending your union meetings.

You know Chuck, you could be absolutely right considering I am in BFE Wyoming. @bottomups our local hall is almost 7 hours away. I'm not driving 14 hrs on a Sunday just to see our BA. They know we are remote and could visit more than once every couple of years.

By The Book

They're not afraid to opt in in our center. A lot of us are on it but we'd win a week long vacation route maybe two or three times a year. That's how rare it is so its basically pointless. I dunno why they still send me the message everyday when it means nothing.
If your on the same route for 1 full week....and would be working over 9.5 three days or more... They send you the message so you don't file and get on the list for that route. This language really helps the newer drivers who only know a few routes.